Sweeny Todd

16

Meanwhile as Anthony and Azrael rode towards Fogg's Asylum, Anthony couldnt help but give his Aunt a concerned look. "Aunt Azzie do you really think we'll get her out of there?" Azrael nodded and gave him a small smile. "Of course Anthony, but as soon as we do we need to show her to Mr. Todd... I know he's been dying to see her." She said softly, Anthony nodded and gave Azrael an inquisitive look. "Aunt Azzie you wouldnt mind if I ask you something personal would you?" Azrael then gently shook her head, gently wrapping her arms around her stomach. "Of course not Anthony, you know you're more than welcome to ask me anything."
Anthony nodded and then hesitantly asked. "Are you in a relationship with Mr. Todd?"
Azrael's eyes widened and was a little surprised by the question but knew that Anthony was always very observant, and couldnt help but gently nod her head. "Yes I suppose you can say that." She then noticed the look on Anthony's face and then quickly added. "He knows all about Gerry, Anthony. And he's been there for when I really needed someone and he may seem like an intimidating man but in reality..." Anthony who was chuckling then cuts her off. "It's ok Aunt Azzie! I'm not angry for you being with Mr. Todd; in all honesty I think it's good that you move on from the past." Azrael then gave Anthony a confused look. "You do?" Anthony nodded and smiled at his Aunt. "I do Mr. Todd is a good friend and I know that he will take care of you Aunt Azzie. And I dont hate you for moving on Uncle Gerry would've wanted it that way, he would never would want you to sit at home all day, everyday mourning for his death. He'd want you to move on and find someone who cares for you." Azrael nodded and gave Anthony a small smile. "Thank you Anthony. It really means a lot to me that you are saying this." Anthony shrugged and gave her a wide grin. "It's really no problem Aunt Azzie, no matter what you do you'll always have my blessing."
He then pulled out a small pistol and then handed it to her. "Do you know how to use this Aunt Azzie?" he asked.
Azrael stared at the pistol and gently nodded her head. "Yes... yer Uncle taught me how when he used to go on business trips."
Anthony nodded giving Azrael a serious look. "Good because we may have to use it." Azrael sighed and gently hid the pistol in her dress. "Let's hope we won't have to" Anthony nodded and decided to change the topic and gave Azrael a knowing smile. "Aunt Azzie?" Azrael then looked over at him. "Yes Anthony?" Anthony's smile then grew even bigger. "Are you in love with Mr. Todd?" Azrael's eyes widened in surprise and started to stutter noticing that Anthony had a huge smile on his face. "Well Um... You see Anthony... I..." she was then cut off by a knock on the coaches' door and was thrilled by the interruption. The driver opened the door and announced that they were there. Anthony nodded and then looked over at his Aunt and sighed. "Well it's now or never..." Azrael nodded and rose up from her seat. "I suppose it is." They both exit the coach and instruct it to move away a bit from the building to not be noticed, but to stay there until they get there; the driver nodded and then headed off.
Just then, Anthony and Azrael walked up to the Asylums door and then knock on the door, Mr. Fogg answered the door to see them standing there and gave them a confused look. "I am Mr. Fogg, May I help you?" Azrael nodded and gave Mr. Fogg a sweet smile. "Yes you can, you see my Husband is the towns wig maker and is of need of yellow hair. And since he has been caught up with an emergency he has sent me and his apprentice to receive the hair for him." Mr. Fogg nodded figuring that this is a believable story and escorted them in.
While Azrael and Anthony walked into the Asylum they heard moans and humming noises continue under the following, occasionally interrupted by little mad birdlike outbursts of song. Mr. Fogg enters with Azrael and Anthony who was in his wigmaker's disguise, carrying a huge pair of scissors with him. They noticed that there were a couple of guards in the Asylum and figured that they may have to use their pistols after all. Azrael and Anthony stayed very close to each other while Mr. Fogg continued to speak to the two of them. "Just this way, sir, madam."
Azrael smiled at Mr. Fogg while she had her hands clasped behind her back. "You do us the honor, Mr. Fogg. My husband will be most appreciative."
Mr. Fogg nodded and then smirked at Azrael. "I agree it would be to our mutual interest to come to some arrangement in regard to my poor children's hair."
Anthony's eyes widened and gave Mr. Fogg a confused look. "Your children?"
Mr. Fogg nodded and looked over at the boy. "We are one happy family here, sir and madam and all my patients are my children, to be corrected when they're naughty, and rewarded with a sweetie when they're good. But to our business." They then enter the inside of the women's side of the asylum, having the lights come up behind the scrim wall revealing the shadows of the inmates. Mr. Fogg announced to Azrael and Anthony that he kept the woman separated by their hair color and took them both to where he kept all his blonde-haired women, Anthony and Azrael then noticed how the women would scurry away from the man and knew that there was something wrong going on there. He then grabs one female by the hair, pulling her head up for Anthony and Azrael's inspection. "Here is a charming yellow, a little dull in tone perhaps, but you can soon restore its natural gleam." He then drops her head and moves up to the next one, while Anthony and Azrael have been looking around room and end up spotting Johanna.
Anthony then pointed over at her. "This one here has hair the shade I seek."
Azrael looked over at the poor scared child and couldnt help but feel her heart break for her, she could only imagine what this child has been through and hoped that she will be alright enough to take out of there. Mr. Fogg nodded and then walked over to Johanna "Come, child. Smile for the lady and gentleman and you shall have a sweetie." He then brandishes the scissors up to her hair. "Now, where shall I cut?" Just then, Anthony pulls out his pistol and aims it towards Mr. Fogg. Before Fogg could react, Anthony shoves him against the wall while Azrael kneeled down to be eye level with the girl. "Johanna? It's alright lass me and Anthony are going to get you out of here." She said softly taking Johanna's hands into hers. Johanna gave Azrael a confused look and hesitantly asked. "Are you Anthony's friend?"
Azrael smiled and gently shook her head. "No luv, I'm his Aunt. And you can call me Azrael, but no worries we're going to be taking ya to yer father."
Johanna's eyes then widened in surprise while Anthony was threatening Mr. Fogg. "My Father lives?"
Azrael nodded and gave her a warm smile. "Yes luv he lives and is dying to see you, now we must go." Johanna then quickly shook her head. "No! I can't!" Azrael frowned and looked into the girls eyes. "Why not luv?" Johanna frowned and started to well up in tears. "Because what if he hates me, what if he does the things that the Judge has done to me? What if he keeps me captive or even hates me for not ever seeing him since then? What if I'm not the daughter he expects me to be?" Azrael gave Johanna a small smile and placed her hand on her cheek. "Darling he will love you the moment he set's his eyes on you" she noticed that Johanna didnt look convinced so she then added. "Ya know I knew a girl who felt the same as you did once upon a time she feared so much of the world that she was terrified of living but then one day she realized that if you dont live you may as well be dead" Johanna gave Azrael a surprised look and then asked. "Really?" Azrael nodded and then smiled at her.
"Yes..." Azrael then starts to sing, giving Johanna the most warming smile she could give.
"She never slows down. She doesn't know why but she knows that when she's all alone, feels like its all coming down, she won't turn around. The shadows are long and she fears if she cries that first tear, the tears will not stop raining down."
She then over hears Anthony tell Mr. Fogg "Not a word, Mr. Fogg or it will be your last Now, I leave you at the mercy of you're children." Azrael knew it was then time to leave and then quickly looked back at Johanna and rose up and stuck out her hand for Johanna to take and gave her a determined look.
"So stand in the rain, stand your ground, stand up when it's all crashing down you stand through the pain You won't drown. And one day, what's lost can be found, you stand in the rain."
Johanna then softly smiled at her and then took her hand and allowed Azrael to quickly pull her out of the room while all the insane women attacked Mr. Fogg. Just then, Anthony and Azrael start running down the halls, Azrael still having Johanna's hands in hers. The halls then became suddenly quiet and Azrael then looked back at Johanna and sighed, still walking towards the door.
"She won't make a sound, alone in this fight with herself and the fears whispering if she stands she'll fall down. She wants to be found the only way out is through everything she's running from wants to give up and lie down."
Just then, a Guard appeared and Azrael quickly pulled out her pistol with her other hand still holding onto Johanna's and shot the guard and looked back at Johanna then smiled and continued to sing.
"So stand in the rain, stand your ground, stand up when it's all crashing down. You stand through the pain, You won't drown and one day, what's lost can be found you stand in the rain."
They all then started to run down the halls quickly noticing that it just started raining and then noticed another guard popping out but it was then Anthony's turn to shoot him. They then finally made it up to the door and Anthony ran out to go grab the coach while Azrael ran outside but noticed that Johanna was still standing at the doors. The rain was pouring down hard and causing Azrael to become soaking wet, she then noticed that Johanna didnt follow her out of the building, so she turned around and faced her seeing the apprehensive look on her face. Azrael then smiled at her and then pulled out her hand for Johanna to take and then softly sang to her.
"So stand in the rain, stand your ground, stand up when it's all crashing down, stand through the pain. You won't drown And one day, what's lost can be found."
Just then, Johanna smiled at her and then took Azrael's hand and walked out into the rain with her. Azrael grinned at this and started to pull Johanna further away from the building and towards the coach and then once again sang.
"So stand in the rain, stand your ground, stand up when it's all crashing down, you stand through the pain. You won't drown, and one day, what's lost can be found, you stand in the rain..."
They then finally make it into the coach, all soaking wet. Anthony tells the driver to go and notice that Azrael was holding onto Johanna as Johanna clung onto her both of the two woman looking out of the back window watching Fogg's Asylum getting farther and farther from distance and couldnt help but smile at the scene of his Aunt comforting the girl he was falling in love with.
Meanwhile back at the shop, Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett are rushing down the stairs towards the bakery. " I got him locked in, but if he escapes he'll go to the law!" Mrs. Lovett said nervously. Sweeney nodded giving her a very grim look. "Then he wont escape" he muttered wondering what was taking Anthony and Azrael so long. Mrs. Lovett sighed and gave Sweeney a sad look "Mr. T I don't know maybe we could" she was then cut off by Sweeney who was glaring at her. "The Judge will be here soon! I have no time for this woman! Come on!" he muttered agitatedly while he and Mrs. Lovett turned the corner and came face to face with the Beadle.
Mrs. Lovett gasped when she saw him and placed her hand on her chest. "Excuse me, sir! You gave me a fright."
Beadle then smirked at Mrs. Lovett and shrugged his shoulders. "Not my intention good madam, I assure you" he then looked over at Mr. Todd his smirk leaving his face. "Though I am here on official business." He then elaborately pinches his nose and sniffs. "You see, there's been complaints. About the stink from your chimney, they say at night there's something most foul. Health regulations and the general public welfare, naturally being my duty, I'm afraid I'll have to take a look..." He then grabs his nose again and starts to sneeze. "At your bake-house. Oh and I must ask if you have seen a recent criminal we have been searching for around your area." He finished.
Sweeney arched his brow at Beadle and then crossed his arms. "And who may this criminal be?"
Beadle cleared his throat and started to sneeze again. "The Governor's fianc you see once the Governor had finally retained her, she eventually murdered him by tying him to a chair with thick chains and slit his throat so we have been searching for the young woman and havent seem to be able to find her." Sweeney frowned worried that if it really was a good idea for Azrael to be going out in public but quickly hid his look of concern by a very strong demure look. "I apologize good sir, but we havent seen nor heard of any such woman in our facility and I'm sure if one woman did condone such act that she would be long gone by now" Beadle nodded and sighed. "Yes, and that is what I have told Judge Turpin but he is insistent to receive revenge for his cousin. Though I must admit, the woman is a sure beauty in itself. I'm sure that once we catch her the Judge will have his fun with her before he sentences her." Sweeney gently nodded refraining himself from killing the Beadle just now. "Completely understandable but sir I must ask why dont you come upstairs and let me pamper you." Beadle nodded giving Mr. Todd a slightly confused look and then cleared his throat. "Much as I do appreciate tonsorial adornment, I really ought to see my official obligations first." Sweeney then quickly placed his hand on Beadles shoulder and smiled at him. "I completely understand" He then leans in and sniffs Beadle's scent. "But do indulge me sir, what is that exotic aroma?" Beadle then smirked at Sweeney and pointed his index finger up. "Me secret is a touch of ambergris."
Sweeney nodded and smirked at him. "Dare I offer you something a tad more appropriate for a gentleman of your standing."
Beadle hesitated a bit but was cut off by Sweeney. "The ladies will greatly appreciate it sir."
Beadle then smirked at Sweeney and started to chuckle. "Well you are an expert in these matters" Sweeney then smirked back at him and led him towards the stairs. "It'll only take a moment." And as they walked up the stairs Sweeney asked him. "Would you like a bit of bay rum sir?" Beadle then nodded. "Oh bay rum is very bracing." Sweeney smirked at this as they both walked up to his shop.
Meanwhile Toby is in the bakehouse looking around at all of the machinery and then gently took one of the pies and took a bite out of it noticing something odd about the pie. He then pulled out a piece of the pie from his mouth and noticed that it was a finger. Toby quickly panicked and dropped the finger and started to walk around the bakehouse to investigate it. He saw a pile of bones lying about and started to get very nervous just then the trap door opened and suddenly Beadle's body was dropping from the ceiling down onto the ground smashing his head in. Toby gasped from the sudden scene and quickly ran up towards the door while Sweeney unceremoniously drops Beadles hat towards the trap door and closes it.
Toby now then starts pounding on the door yelling for Mrs. Lovett. "MRS. LOVETT! MRS. LOVETT! LET ME OUT! MRS. LOVETT!" he then heard a thunderous roar emerge from the bake oven and in panic he races down towards the sewers as the shrill factory whistle screams.
Meanwhile Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett open the door to the bakehouse and walk in to see that Toby was now missing. Mrs. Lovett had a confused look on her face and quickly looked around the room. "Toby?" she called and then didnt hear anything. "Oh where is he?" Sweeney then looked around the room holding his blade very close to him. "Toby?" he said loudly. But received now answer. Mrs. Lovett then started to call for him in a haunting singing tone. "Toby Where are you luv?" her and Sweeney then start walking towards the sewers while Sweeney called for him again. "Toby?" Mrs. Lovett then started to sing.
"Nothings going to harm you, not while I'm around."
As she and Mr. Todd walk into the sewers. Sweeney then started to call for him louder. "TOBY?" Still no answer. Mrs. Lovett sighed as she was scanning the area. "Where are you hiding?" Sweeney then hid his blade behind him and once again called for him. "Toby?" Mrs. Lovett then once again sang.
"Nothing's going to harm you darling. Not while I'm around."
Sweeney then yelled for him once again. "Toby!?"
Meanwhile, while they were searching for Toby, Azrael, Anthony and Johanna were now in his shop. Anthony rushed up to the door slamming it open. "Mr. Todd?!" he shouted noticing that he wasnt around. Azrael quickly scanned the room worried that something has happened to him. "Where can he be?" She then looked back at Johanna who was now dressed in a different pair of clothing so no one would recognize her with her hair stuffed in a cap and was wearing baggy men's clothing. "Darling I want you to stay here while Anthony goes and hails a cab I'm going to go look for Mr. Todd, now dont you answer this door to anyone you understand?" Johanna slowly nodded giving her a hesitant look. "Your not leaving me are you?" Azrael smiled at her and gently shook her head. "No luv, I'm just going to go search for Mr. Todd. I shouldnt be too long luv." Johanna nodded giving Azrael a hesitant look.
Anthony then smiled at her and placed his hands in with hers. "And once this is all over we'll be safe so we can run away and then all of our dreams will come true."
Johanna sighed and gave Anthony a sad look. "I hope so I have never had dreams only nightmares"
Anthony sighed and gently kissed Johanna's hands. "Johanna when we're free of this place all the ghosts will go away." Johanna then gently shook her head. "No Anthony they never go away." Azrael frowned as she watched them and knew exactly how Johanna felt. The nightmares never leave, they will always be a stain that you could never wash away and unfortunately, the only way for them to not eat you alive is to accept that they're there and to learn to live with them. She then heard Anthony sigh and saw him give Johanna a small smile. "I'll be right back to you Half an hour and we'll be free." And with that he bolted out of the room.
Azrael sighed and then looked over at the young girl. "Do not worry Johanna you are safe here. But to make sure, do not open this door to anyone other than me, Anthony or Mr. Todd you understand?" Johanna then gently nodded and gave her a worried look. "Azrael? Will you come with us?" Azrael sighed knowing the answer already. "Yes luv there's nothing left for me here." She whispered knowing that if she stayed in London any longer the officials will be bound to find out about her. She then looked over at Johanna, gave her a weak smile, walked up to her, wrapped her arms around the young girl, and hugged her. "Now no worries pet, things will be just fine"
Johanna nodded and tightened her embrace with Azrael. "Thank you so much" she whispered. Azrael smiled at the young girl and nodded. "It's the least I can do." And with that she removed herself from the girls embrace and walked out of the room and down the stairs to look for Mr. Todd.
As Azrael made it down the stairs she crashed into a body and almost lost her balance but felt someone grab her before she could fall, she then looked up and saw that it was Sweeney. Azrael gasped and wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. "Sweeney!" she cried out with such joy knowing that he was ok. Sweeney quickly wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her tightly to him. "Azzie! Thank God, you're alright I was beginning to worry, what was taking you all so long?" Azrael then quickly looked up at his face and gently smiled. "It took us awhile to find your daughter Sweeney, but she is safe now I made sure of it." Sweeney looked at Azrael in shock and couldnt help but get his hopes up. "My daughter My Johanna is here?" Azrael nodded and grinned at him. "Yes she is luv, pretty lil one she is and a real sweetheart. I told her that I was bringing her here to see her father" Sweeney then smirked at her and then gave her a warm kiss; he then rested his forehead against hers and then closed his eyes and smiled. "Bugger what would I do without you?" he whispered. Azrael giggled as she wrapped her arms around his neck once again. "Go bonking mad I presume." Sweeney chuckled and gently nodded not noticing that Mrs. Lovett was watching them. "But I thought you said I was already mad?" Azrael then nodded. "I suppose I did" she then gently shrugs and then releases her hold on him. "Well then I suppose I was right then now go off and go see yer daughter she's waitin fer ya." Sweeney nodded and then placed a kiss on her forehead and rushed up the stairs.
Azrael smiled at this as she watched him go up and then turned around to and gasped when she saw Mrs. Lovett standing in front of her. "You couldn't resist could you?" she asked condescendingly, Azrael arched her brow at the woman and shrugged her shoulders. "Couldnt resist what?" Mrs. Lovett glared at her and yanked her down into the bakehouse and slammed the door shut, she then shoved Azrael into the middle of the room. "HOW DARE YOU TAKE WHAT'S MINE! HE WAS MINE FROM THE BEGINNING AND THEN SUDDENLY YOU COME ALONG AND TAKE HIM FROM ME!" Azrael arched her brow at Mrs. Lovett and then frowned. "Mrs. Lovett, I never did this to hurt you. I never expected to be in a relationship with him it just happened!" Mrs. Lovett then scoffed. "Please Mrs. Rowena! Dont you see? He's using you! He's using you because you resemble Lucy but then he'll eventually get sick of you! Dont you understand that?!? He has already confessed of his plans to marry me! To live by the sea with me! Not with you, ME! And here you go along acting like he cares for you! Well
I'll tell you something Mrs. Rowena! He doesnt give a damn about you!" She shouted.
Just then, the trap door opened to show a body falling down onto the ground. Azrael screamed hoping it wasnt Johanna and quickly rushed over to the body to see if it was her. But to Azrael's amazement it wasnt Johanna but a woman she recognized so well, it was the beggar woman. Azrael had tears in her eyes as she stared down at the poor creature.
"Poor thing the world was so cruel to her" she said softly.
Then gently moved her bonnet away from her face to be even more surprised to see a very well known familiarity to this woman and as Azrael stared at her even more intently she gasped and quickly moved away from her. "OH MY GOD!" she shouted, as she realized who that beggar woman was. Mrs. Lovett quickly moved up towards her and realized who it was and started to grab hold of the body and pull it towards the furnace. Azrael quickly rose up to her feet, forcefully shoved Mrs. Lovett away from the body, and roughly slaps her across the face. "HOW DARE YOU!?! HOW DARE YOU LIE TO SWEENEY THAT WAY!" she shouted. Mrs. Lovett scoffed and gently rubbed her sore cheek. "Like you wouldnt? Do you honestly think I'd believe that for one moment you knew that she was alive that you'd go off telling Mr. Todd?" Azrael then glared at her.
"Yes as a matter of fact I would! He deserved to know that his wife was still alive!" She shouted.
Mrs. Lovett then rolled her eyes. "Please Mrs. Rowena So you're saying that if for any chance you knew that Lucy was alive you'd tell Mr. Todd knowing that he'd leave you for her?" Azrael then nodded. "Yes I would" Mrs. Lovett then started to chuckle. "Oh please and how do you expect me to believe that?" Azrael then clenched her fists furious with this woman.
"BECAUSE I WOULD'VE DONE THE SAME DAMN THING IF IT WAS MY GERRY WHO WAS IN THAT POSITION!" she shouted.
Mrs. Lovett then started to chuckle. "Always a saint you were no wonder why Mr. Todd fancied you you and your sweet nature, and kind all knowing words why else would he fall for you?" Azrael ignored her comment and then looked over at Lucy and then gently kneeled down and placed her head on her lap. "Why Mrs. Lovett why would you lie to him like that? How could you sleep at night knowing that a poor woman is out on the streets while her husband was home all along?" Mrs. Lovett then glared at Azrael and yanked her away from the body. "Because I love him! I would be ten times the better wife for him! All she ever did was moan and gripe about what happened to her! Well I'll tell you something Mrs. Rowena he deserves so much better! Better than her and better than you! He belongs to me; it was the best for him to know that she wasnt alive! That way he wouldnt have to come home to some dirty beat up old wench and could come home to me! and trust me when he starts asking about why she's down here, I'm going to flat out tell him that you knew all along that she was his wife now what do you think he'll make out of that?"
Azrael glared at Mrs. Lovett and gritted her teeth. "You wouldnt"
Mrs. Lovett then smirked at her. "I would"
Just then, the trap door opened again and the Judge then comes falling down onto the ground. Azrael and Mrs. Lovett gasped at the sight of the Judge his neck slit side to side blood pouring out of his neck. They then heard a scream come from upstairs causing Azrael to gasp and quickly run towards the door. "JOHANNA!" she shouted as her heart started dropping. Azrael quickly rushed up to the stairs and opened the door to see Johanna sitting in the barber's chair with Sweeney about to slash her throat. Azrael screamed and quickly ran up to Sweeney and grabbed his arm the one with the blade in his hand and
yelled. "SWEENEY NO IT'S JOHANNA, IT'S JOHANNA!" she shouted.
Sweeney suddenly stopped and stared at Johanna in disbelief. "Johanna?" he asked softly.
Johanna stared at him, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Father?" Sweeney nodded and gave her a small smile; Johanna gave him a small smile as well until they both heard a weak female voice. "Sweeney?" Sweeney quickly turned around, and saw that Azrael was standing there with a look of shock on her face and was looking down at her dress, placing her hands on top of her upper stomach, and saw a red liquid forming around her hands. Sweeney then realized the nice gash that was on her upper stomach and had it suddenly dawn on him what he did, his heart racing a mile a minute; he accidentally slashed her against the stomach with his blade. "AZZIE NO!" he shouted watching her fall onto the ground into unconsciousness.