Sequel: The Long Road
Status: I might have changed some of the details, to fit more with the time and ages of characters and whatnot

Another Lost Highway

Leaving Home

Meanwhile . . .

Rooty Hill, Australia

~Juliet's P.O.V~

'Honey, are you sure you want to do this?

I looked up from folding my clothes to my mum, who was standing in my bedroom doorway. She was asking the same question she had been asking for two weeks now. She didn't seem to accept that I was leaving for good this time.

'Mum, trust me; I know what I'm doing!' I reassured her, throwing in as many shoes as I could fit in and zipped up the last bag.

I looked around my room once more, to make sure I had not missed anything. But at the same time, I was remembering all the memories that were stained into the walls and floor of the room. There were bad times. A lot of bad times. But all I tried to think of were the good times, which were few. Anytime my dad wasn't here was good, also when I was allowed to have my only friend Samantha over.

But that was all in the past. Samantha had managed to escape from Rooty Hill long before me. Now I was doing the same.

'I just can't believe you are leaving home!' my mum cried, tears spilling down her worn cheeks. 'My little baby girl!' I went over and gave her a small hug.

'Mum, I'm 21 now! I'm not so little anymore.' I said, patting her shoulder. 'And besides, this is a great opportunity for me to go to a good college! Well, at least somewhere better than here' I added quickly.

'Yes, I know, but America?' my mum said, giving me a disbelieving look. 'I still can't even believe that!'

'Well, neither can I.' I admitted, heaving my bag off the bed. 'So, we ready to go?'

'Oh - yes of course.' my mum stuttered, trying to pull herself together. 'Make sure you have your passport before you leave.'

Together, we pulled bags down the stairs and managed to fit them all in the boot of the car. We pulled out of the driveway after much fussing about anything left behind, and we sped down the street.

I stared the window as we drove away from Rooty Hill, at the cracked streets and old houses. Finally, I was leaving this dry, soul sucking place. I couldn't help but grin to myself as we left the town far behind us in the distance.

I would be studying at the Golden Gate University in San Francisco, taking a course in Administrative Law. And where I was staying, had all been sorted. For the past couple of months, my mum and I searched the internet for a small apartment to rent, and we managed to get a flat near a place called Madison Park. Just pinning the place down made me feel even more excited about leaving home.

My mum turned on her favourite CD as we drove, an Elton John album. While my mum would sing along with the lyrics, I would just stay silent and stare out the window. I didn't listen to music that much like other people did. I had spent most of my life devising ways to escape from home, through studying for school, trying to get good grades. That’s why I didn’t have that many friends.

But I didn’t want to think about the life anymore, as we suddenly came to a stop outside the Sydney Airport.

We got my bags out of the car and raced over to the international terminal. After checking in my luggage and a quick passport stamp, I managed to make it to my gate on time. Everyone was lining up at the door, forming a cue that would lead onto the plane that would take them, including me, to San Francisco.

‘Now honey, call me as much as you want, and it’s okay if you want to come back.’ She said into my ear as we hugged.

‘Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.’ I said to her for the millionth time. I hugged her one last time before showing my ticket to the desk, and stepping towards my uncertain future.
♠ ♠ ♠
Once again, comment and subscribe! I would like some feedback as i progress and such! If not, screw it, I'll still write it anyway!