Status: Incredibly slow updates; please bear with me.

The Black Rose

Black Expectations

Bellatrix Black was born just like any other. She had her dark eyes closed tight against the bright lights of this world and when she felt the sharp tap on her bottom she began to wail. She felt something wet and rough press against her soft skin and it was dragged as gently as possible over her. Cool air touched her bare skin and then just as quickly as it came, it was gone; replaced by a very warm something that was wrapped all the way around her. Then there was another wail.

The Black family was very proud, although, in Cygnus Black’s opinion his first born would have preferably been a boy. Unfortunately for him, he was stuck with two twin daughters. Maybe the next time Druella gave birth it would be to a son. After all, as the saying goes, it’s better late than never. In the meantime, he would show off his daughters for the rest of the world and they would undoubtedly attract wealthy pure-bloods as their husbands.

“Bella, go make sure your sisters are presentable,” Cygnus ordered. “We do not want your aunt to think of us as beggars.”

“Yes, Father.” Bellatrix moved through the house quickly and opened the door to the room she shared with her twin sister, Andromeda. “Are you ready yet?”

Andromeda turned her head and grinned. “What do you think?” she asked, pursing her lips. “I’ve heard them call it lipstick.”

Bellatrix’s face scrunched up with disgust. “You look like muggle trash,” she sneered. “Take it off before Father comes. You know how he hates these things you bring home; with reason,” she added.

“Bella, can you help me please? I can’t get it on…” Bellatrix looked towards the voice and noticed her youngest sister attempting to pull a fluffy blue and white dress over her head. Her arms hung out of the sleeves at odd angels and the only part of her face that Bellatrix could see was her shining blue eyes.

“Maybe if you weren’t so stupid, Narcissa, you would know that you have to pull your head through first,” Andromeda teased as she wiped the lipstick off.

The blue eyes began to water and Bellatrix bumped Andromeda as she rushed past her to Narcissa. “Come now, Cissy. Don’t listen to Andromeda. She’s just being mean,” she whispered as she tugged the dress onto Narcissa’s small frame. “There you go, all better.” She smiled down at the little seven year old with sunny blonde hair that was so unlike her dark-haired, dark-eyed sisters. “You look lovely. As for you,” Bellatrix said rounding on Andromeda, “you still have a smudge right here.” She pointed to a spot right below the left side of her lip. Andromeda rubbed it harshly and Bellatrix smirked as she took Narcissa’s pale hand and led her downstairs.

“Excellent, you are all ready,” Cygnus said two minutes later as he stood in front of the fireplace and looked at his three daughters. Soon he was joined by his wife, Druella. “Let’s go then.”

Cygnus held up the bowl of green powder in front of his wife who grabbed a handful, flung it into the flames, stepped in and said loudly, “Number 12 Grimmauld Place.” This was all just for show of course. Even little Narcissa knew how Floo Powder worked by now.

Bellatrix was next. She mimicked her mother and found herself spinning past one fireplace after another until she landed. Her knees buckled under the sudden impact and she fell to the floor on all fours. Her mother’s cool eyes rested on her until she stood up and brushed herself off as if nothing had happened. She moved away from the fireplace just as Andromeda came spinning out of the fireplace. Apparently, she’d been braced for the landing and didn’t even flinch. Next came Narcissa, who landed on her behind with a soft thud. Bellatrix held out her hand and helped her little sister up. Finally Cygnus came out of the green flames, standing tall and proud with his hands clasped behind his back.

“Walburga, it is a pleasure to see you again, my dearest sister,” he simpered, kissing his sister’s pudgy hands.

“Cygnus,” she said nodding ever so slightly. “I see you have cleaned up nicely since your last visit. One ought to never come on visits as if they have just been wandering through a crowd of muggles,” she stated.

Indeed, the last time they had come, nearly two weeks before, they had been maneuvering their way through the muggles. How muggles did that everyday was beyond Bellatrix Black’s understanding. The stench that rose up from almost every street and the roar of the subway trains was enough to make anyone sick.

A toddler of about two peeked out from behind a door and was suddenly pushed into the living room. “Sirius, you are a Black,” Walburga reprimanded. “Why in Merlin's name are you crawling? You know how to walk perfectly well.” Sirius gazed up at his mother through large gray eyes and using the wall as a support, pushed himself to his feet.

Bellatrix folded her arms across her chest and Narcissa looked down at her pretty white shoes. Andromeda, on the other hand, smiled at the little boy. “Unfortunately, little Regulus is sleeping…” She turned around after a couple minutes and noticed the kids still standing there. “Well, run along then and mind you don’t get dirty.”

The three sisters rushed out of the room, eager to be away from the dull chatter that filled the living room as they left and Sirius padded after them. “Look what I found, Sirius!” Andromeda exclaimed as soon as they were safely out of earshot. She pulled something out of her pocket and Bellatrix watched as Andromeda put something into his hand. When he opened it to look, his eyes lit up and then he pressed something on the object and it lit up. “They call it a lighter,” Andromeda explained. “They use it to set fire to these sticks that they put in their mouths and they puff on it and smoke comes out.”

Bellatrix puffed out an annoyed breath and turned her back on the pair. “I’m going to see if there’s anything to eat,” she said. “Come on, Cissy.” Narcissa nodded and clung onto Bellatrix’s hand as they walked out and the discoverers upstairs behind them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you very much MischiefxManaged for stealing this story's comment virginity and of course for helping with the dates. It's much appreciated. Next chapter coming right up after only a month of waiting!