Status: Incredibly slow updates; please bear with me.

The Black Rose

Sorting Out The Blacks

Druella Black didn’t hug her twin daughters as normal mothers do. Instead she reprimanded them in her usual monotone voice. “If we receive word of your misbehaving you will be removed. No daughter of mine will show us off as being miscreants. A Black must never be troublesome.”

Bellatrix nodded her head as did Andromeda who stood just a bit behind her, closer to the scarlet steam engine. “Yes, Mother,” they chorused.

“Very well then. Go, before the train leaves.” Without another word Druella grabbed Narcissa’s pale little hand and Apparated. There were no goodbyes, no hugs, no wishes of a safe trip.

“Now that they’re gone we should go find somewhere to sit!” Andromeda gushed and ran forward, pushing her trolley ahead of her quickly. “Come on, Bella! Before all the good spots are taken!”

The eldest Black present began to push her way through the towering forest of students. They were all waving goodbye to some family member or another and their chirping to one another. It seemed like she would never get through but then she did and was ushered onto the Hogwarts Express. Bellatrix found her twin sister in a compartment with just enough space for her to fit in.

“Bella, this is Lestrange, Mulciber, Avery, Nott, and the Carrows. Everyone, this is my sister Bella.”

“Bellatrix Black,” Bellatrix corrected extending her hand to the nearest.

“Alecto Carrow,” the dark haired girl said shaking Bellatrix’s hand. “My brother’s name is Amycus.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all,” Bellatrix said settling down in the empty seat across from Alecto. Andromeda took a seat in the middle and jumped into the boy’s conversation. “So, is this your first year?” Bellatrix asked Alecto after several silent minutes.

“Hm? Oh yes, it is,” Alecto answered absently. “Yours as well, am I right?”

“Of course, but it’s not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be,” Bellatrix answered. “I feel as if I’m simply going on an extended trip to my aunt’s house.”

Alecto laughed appreciatively. “My brother has been going on about Hogwarts all summer. He told me everything about it." She folded her hands onto her lap. "My brother is in his second year,” Alecto added, seeing the puzzled expression on Bellatrix’s face. Bellatrix nodded and stared at the window. “I’ll be going to Slytherin obviously,” Alecto continued. “My family has been in Slytherin for generations.”

“Mine as well,” Bellatrix said with a smile. “The noble house of Black will accept nothing short of a Slytherin. Only the best in our family.”

“As it should be.”

The rest of the train ride to Hogwarts was uneventful and Bellatrix was glad when the scarlet steam engine finally pulled into Hogsmeade Station. Trunks were tugged off the luggage rack as Amycus yanked the compartment door open and they all filed out. There seemed to be less people now and as Bellatrix looked around she realized why. There were no adults with the exception of a great man.

“He looks simply barbaric,” Alecto said voicing Bellatrix’s own thoughts. “He must be at least seven feet tall.”

“And twice as big as Aunt Walburga!” Andromeda said from right behind Bellatrix. “He has to be half-giant.”

“I highly doubt the headmaster would keep a half-giant around,” Alecto said quietly. But Andromeda laughed and ran over to the brute who was waving his arms and yelling, “Firs’ years o’er here!”

Bellatrix and Alecto followed Andromeda and by the time they reached her she was deep in conversation with yet another first year. But this time she didn’t introduce Bellatrix to her new friend. Bellatrix turned to Alecto and picked up the conversation that had dropped as they prepared to leave the train. “My mother is hoping that Andromeda and I will be married off almost right after our seventh year.”

“My mum thought that would be good for me as well, but my dad told her she was off her rocker,” Alecto said. “At any rate, I don’t want to get married, ever.”

“Why’s that? Don’t you want to continue the pure-blood line?”

“I have nothing against seeing that the lines continue, but I don’t fancy having to serve another person. All my mum does is cook, clean, and take care of the family.” Alecto pulled on a loose string hanging from her sleeve. “It would be easier if we had a house-elf but Dad won’t hear of it.”

“House-elves are really quite useful,” Bellatrix agreed. “I don’t know how Mother would manage without Plipsy. She can’t --”

“So we’re gon’ cross o’er to Hogwarts on these boats. O’ny four per boat,” the man interrupted the conversation. “Be careful gettin’ on, we don’ wan’ no accidents.”

Bellatrix and Alecto managed to stay together but were not joined by Andromeda and her new friend. Instead two other first years clambered on. One was a boy with flaming red hair and the other was a girl with short blonde hair. The boy leaned over to look at the sides of the boat as it began to move, his eyes wide with excitement.

“Will you look at this, Meredith! It floats on the water!”

The blonde girl giggled, allowing her whole body to shake with mirth. “Goodness, Arthur! Of course it floats; it wouldn’t be a boat at all if it didn’t.”

“It’s amazing!” he said and leaned so far out over the edge that Meredith had to grab his robes so that he didn’t fall in. Finally, he settled into his seat and looked around at the other two silent occupants. “Hello,” he said striking out his hand. “Arthur Weasley.”

“Bellatrix Black,” Bellatrix answered. “And this is Alecto Carrow,” she added seeing that Alecto was too busy assessing Meredith and Arthur.

“It’s nice to meet you!” He gazed over the shining black lake and sighed wistfully. “This is such a good idea. It wouldn’t have been the same riding --”

Arthur broke off as the boat, now gliding across the glassy lake, came into the sight of Hogwarts. It was magnificent. The castle shone in the dark like a beacon and the lights in the window were reflected off the lake like a mirror.

“Merlin…” he sighed.

“It is…impressive,” Bellatrix admitted quietly to her friend. Alecto simply nodded as the boat drew ever closer to the castle.

A few minutes later the boats came to a stop and they carefully climbed out of the boat and onto a stone dock. The little boats bobbed in the gently lapping waves and for awhile that was all that could be heard. The big man had disappeared through a door, leaving the first years to tremble. “How exactly do we get sorted?” Bellatrix inquired after a few silent moments, not bothering to lower her voice.

“Amycus told me we had to fight a werewolf,” Alecto said with a wry grin. Several people could be heard taking a big gulp and it was silent for several more moments. “Of course, that’s all nonsense. Amycus likes to over-exaggerate at times.”

“Well, my brother told me we had to take a test then they will place us from there,” another voice chipped in.

“Test us on what?” Bellatrix scoffed. “We haven’t begun learning magic yet. Unless they test our blood. That will be the best way. We wouldn’t be mixed in with scum.”

Alecto and Bellatrix exchanged a smile as the girl turned beet-red. Suddenly the door opened and a tall, lean witch of about 25 entered the dock. “Hello, first years. I am Professor McGonagall. In a few moments you will be led to the Great Hall where you will be sorted into your houses but before you do I would like to make a few things clear.”

She took a deep breath and began reciting from memory. “While you are here your house will be like your family. Together you are rewarded for your achievements and punished for your wrong-doings. Each house starts off with 100 house points from which you can gain points for your house or lose them. Now, the feast will begin soon, so if you’d -- Yes?” she asked Meredith whose small hand was in the air.

“I’m sorry Professor, but what are the houses exactly?”

Professor McGonagall lips formed a straight line and then the corners turned down. “Forgive me. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin,” she said. “Now, please follow me so that you may join your housemates.” She led the way and the first years pushed each other to be the first in the Entrance Hall. Bellatrix and Alecto managed to shove their way to front. “Single file, please.”

Sighing, Bellatrix stood behind Alecto who was the fourth in the line. “Watch it,” she growled as someone shoved her from behind.

“Sorry, Bella,” Andromeda said grinning from ear to ear. Bellatrix rolled her dark gray eyes and faced forward in the line. When the line was ready, Professor McGonagall led the way through a door and they walked down the center of the Great Hall. All eyes in the room turned to watch the procession and then turned their eyes to the front where Bellatrix and the other first years stood facing them.

Professor McGonagall disappeared for a moment and returned bearing a stool on top of which rested a casual black wizard’s hat. She placed it in front of the first years, in between the two center tables and then stood next to it.

Without warning the seam of the hat split open and it began to sing.

Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,
Where your minds will be filled
With magic and history.

I sing to you tonight
Of a wizard with might,
A witch with insight,
Another of modesty,
And the last of purity.

The Founders were four in number
And each agreed on one thing
That students should slumber
Among their own kind.

In Gryffindor where the brave and loyal dwell,
Or Ravenclaw where wit is measured about all ends.
Perhaps in Hufflepuff, those humble that do well,
Or in Slytherin, where the cunning meet their friends.

Brave Gryffindor, who whipped me off his head,
Bade me sort you where you belong
When he went to rest on his final bed.
This I will do; it will not be too long.


The seam closed and the hat fell silent. Professor McGonagall spoke again, “When I call your name you will come up and put on the Sorting Hat. Then you will join your housemates. Axxon, Pierce!”

A boy with dark brown hair and a slight limp jumped and then hurried over to the stool. The hat fell over his ears as it was placed onto his head. A moment later the rim of the Sorting Hat burst open again. “Hufflepuff!”

One of the two center tables, the one closest to the wall, burst into applause and the boy pulled the hat off, gave it to Professor McGonagall and rushed to the table, disappearing into the mass. Professor MsGonagall cleared her throat again. “Bagman, Mark.”

A chubby boy padded forward and sat down on the stool but the Sorting Hat barely touched his head before the seam broke open. “Slytherin.”

“Black, Andromeda!”

Bellatrix watched as her sister walked calmly to the seat and the hat was dropped onto her head. She was there for a few moments and the hall was completely silent until the hat finally shouted out, “Slytherin!” Bellatrix and the very last table the closest to the door clapped.

Alecto nudged Bellatrix suddenly. “Good luck,” she murmured as Professor McGonagall called, “Black, Bellatrix.”

“I won’t need it but thank you and same to you.” Bellatrix moved to the seat and the hat hushed any sound that may have come from the people in the Great Hall.

“Well, well, another Black,” a voice said inside her head. “There’s no need to think about where you will be.” It’s next word came out from the other side of the hat. “Slytherin!”

The hat was pulled off and her chest swelled proudly as the applause reached her ears. She stood up and walked slowly towards the green and silver clad table, fully appreciating the snake that adorned the banner above it for the first time ever. “Carrow, Alecto.” Bellatrix sat down next to her sister and watched as the hat opened it’s brim again to yelled out what they both already knew it would.

“This is the entrance to the common room,” a prefect said standing in front of a simple dungeon door. “To get in you must say the password which is ‘Eternal’ for the time being.” The door to the common room swung open revealing a room that took Bellatrix’s breath away. The windows were dark except for swirling silvery light and a huge fire lit the room. Black couches surrounded the fireplace and all around were polished mahogany tables which reflected the warm light from both the fireplace and from the candelabras standing in their centers. The chairs were covered with jade green cushions, the arm rests curved inward, and the backs were winged.

“Comfy,” Alecto said stretching.

“Very,” Bellatrix agreed. She was about to say something else but as she opened her mouth a yawn issued forth instead. She covered her mouth and then dug her fist into her eyes.

“Boys dorms are downstairs to the right; girls the same to the left. Be up for breakfast tomorrow for your schedules. Good night.” The prefect left the first years and descended into the boys dormitories.

Bellatrix led the way to the girl’s dorms and opened the door with her name on it. She pushed it open and stared for a moment. The room was absolutely beautiful. Thick green draping hung over each of the five beds in the room and in the center of the stone floor was an emerald carpet with a large, ornate ‘S’ drawn onto it. She felt someone push her forward and she realized that the other four girls that she was to share the dorm with were waiting. Bellatrix grinned at her sister then found the bed with her dark oak trunk at it’s foot. It wasn’t hard to do seeing as her trunk had a large ‘B’ etched into it. This was the only difference between her trunk and Andromeda’s who had an ‘A’ instead.

She pulled out her purple night gown and changed into it quickly before she lay down on her bed which was just as comfortable as it looked. “’Night,” she managed to mutter before sleep took hold.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, two short things before I get to the main part.

1. I suck at poetry, I'm sorry about that. I know the Sorting Hat's song is badly written. I just can't grasp meter and all that mess. So I apologize for that.

Now the major things. I don't have Microsoft Word, so if you see an error please let me know. Suggestions, comment, subscriptions; all are wonderful. <3