Status: Complete :)

Cry Little Sister

Too Far

Charlene attempted to stay in the house as much as possible. She kept checking glimpses of the barn, but there was no movement. She only hoped Charlie had saddled up and was long gone from there. However, curiosity continued to nag her and she finally entered the barn that evening. Charlie was cinching up his horse, only casting a sideways glance at his sister once when she entered.

“You’re leaving?”

“This whole things pro’ly blown over in town and Ben’ll be waitin’ for me near Bisbee.”

“Can I get you anything before you leave?”

Charlie turned to his sister. “You can leave too.”

“No, Charlie.” Charlene set her jaw stubbornly.

Her brother suddenly grabbed her arms and shook her, not too hard, but enough to make her pay attention. “Listen to me, Charlene This ain’t no place for you You look as dead as this God forsaken land Get out and get away ”

“Charlie, I can’t! I’m not brave no more!”

“Sister–” Charlie’s face froze. It wasn’t fear, for Charlie Prince feared nothing, but it was more of an ‘oh shit’ look.

“CHARLENE!” Charlene cranked her head around as Charlie still held her. John stood in the doorway, his face a putrid purple color. Her breath caught in her throat. She barely noticed Charlie released her. “You cheatin’ on me?” Howard’s voice was a low deadly growl.

“No, John. I’d never–”

“You little whore! Don’t lie to me!”
Charlie’s hand reached for his gun. Charlene caught it. “Charlie. Don’t.” She turned to her husband. “John this ain’t what it looks like.” Charlie was disgusted out how weak and feeble his sister sounded. “Charlie’s–”

“Charlie’s leavin’!” Howard barked. “Get the hell off my land!” Charlie backed up towards his horse, swung up in the saddle effortlessly and–giving his sister one more look–galloped out of the barn.

Charlene only had a moment to look after Charlie before John grabbed her arm in a iron grip and dragged her out of the barn.

“John! Please!”Charlene twisted in his grasp.

“You just keep beggin’!” he snarled, shoving her into the house and into the bedroom.

Her eyes widened as she realized what was happening. “Let me explain No! Don’t!” she screamed as he pushed her down on the bed and pinned her arms above her head.

“You’ll know better next time!” John’s hands jerked up her skirts.

“NO! NO!”

Ethan, unable to stand the screaming, ran out of the house, clamping the palms of his hands over his ears. But the screams still persisted, cutting through the thin walls of the house, echoing off the rocky sides of the ravine.

Charlie sat up in the saddle, his elbows leaning against the horn. Like a lone, hungry wolf, he stood, glaring menacingly down at the soon to be doomed ranch.

--

Ethan sat alone on the side of the road, his skinny arms wrapped around his knees. He’d watched the sun rise, refusing to go back home. He couldn’t stand to face Charlene. Why hadn’t he done something? Because he was weak and pathetic, just like his Pa always told him.

Wagon wheels squeaked and a horse clomped its hoofs. Ethan didn’t dare look up.

“Ethan, I’ve been so worried about you!” Charlene cried jumping off the wagon. She bent down beside him. “What in God’s name are ya doing out here?”

“I was scared,” he confessed and a tear slid down his face. He looked up at Charlene. “Pa hurt you really bad this time didn’t he?”

Charlene pursed her lips, but said nothing. “That’s not important. You could’ve gotten hurt or caught your death. Come on.” She stood. “We gotta head into town to pick up some things.” She reached out her hand and Ethan took it.

The wagon slowly crawled down the path into town.
♠ ♠ ♠
WaterXGoddess is the bomb! No one's reading this!!! HOOT! haha! That's ok! Still <3 love it!

:)