Status: finished.

Love Or Lust.

It just adds fuel to the fire.

Adrian Meyer was your average girl. She was not too tall, not too short. Her hair was a rich, dark brown and it stuck out at all angles. Her bangs were too long and often hung in her eyes. Her eyes were a dull gray, piercing when you gazed into them. Her thin lips were iced with a light pink, perfect for shameless smirking.

Adrian Meyer knew that she was a bitch. She held a guard up, vowing to never let anyone in. Especially guys. She’d had her heart broken way too many times, and ever since she’d decided that it wasn’t worth it in the end.

That’s not to say she didn’t like having a bit of fun. She flirted, she laughed, hell, she did anything she wanted. But when the guy got too close, she pushed them away. Even if she did have feelings, she swore she didn’t.

That is, until she met him.

John O’Callaghan was your average guy. He was super tall, with messy light brown hair. His eyes were a greenish hazel and quite mesmerizing. His smile was stunning; pearly white teeth and a grin that could make your heart melt.

John O’Callaghan refused to forget Adrian Meyer. He was determined to break down her walls. Determined to make her realize the chemistry they shared.

John swore that someday, somehow, Adrian would be his.

* * *

John lay on his bed, staring at the four walls of his room, covered with various posters and assorted pictures.

His eyes fell on one picture in particular, a small Polaroid snapshot secured to the wall with a white thumbtack.

He ripped the picture off the wall and stared at it, running his fingers up and down the image.

The picture was of him and his friend Adrian. John’s heart pounded gazing at the picture of the girl who stole his heart. Of course, she claimed she wasn’t interested. John knew she was lying, deep down.

All of his friends tried to convince him that she was playing him, but he refused to listen. He knew it was all an act. And one day, he’d prove it to everyone.

He folded the picture, tucking it into the pocket of his worn blue jeans, before looking up at the bare ceiling of his room.

All of a sudden, his phone vibrated on the table next to his bed. He reached his arm out, grabbing the phone and flipping it open. He cleared his throat and pressed the phone to his ear.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Johnny boy.”


His breath caught in his throat.

“Hi, Adrian.”

He could almost hear the smirk that he was certain was painted on her face.

“Want to come over?”

He smiled.

“Yeah. Sure.”

She laughed.

“See you then.”

He hung up the phone and got off the bed, slipping into a pair of ripped Nikes. He walked over to the small mirror that hung on the far wall, and glanced into it, checking to make sure he looked alright. He mentally prepared himself, figuring out exactly what he was going to say to Adrian. After one last look, he grabbed his keys and a hoodie, heading out the door and into the car, making his way over to Adrian’s.

He pulled into the stone paved driveway that he knew all too well.

Walking up the steps two at a time, John couldn’t help but smile as he knocked on the door.

“Hi Mrs. Meyer. Is Adrian home?”

She frowned.

“I’m sorry John, she just left.”

A lump rose in his throat.

“It’s alright, thanks Mrs. Meyer. I’ll try again later.”

She closed the door and John turned around, heading back to the car. He laughed, knowing that he should have expected this. It wasn’t the first time that Adrian had set him up.

John opened the door to his car and sat inside, dialing the number that he knew by heart.

On the third ring, the sugary voice that he loved finally answered.

“Hey, Johnny boy.”

He smirked.

“Nice Adrian. Setting me up again?”

She laughed.

“Oops, forgot to tell you I was going out.”

He rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, you forgot.”

“Maybe it’s a sign, Johnny boy.”


He laughed.

“Adrian, you know I’m not giving up. You know you want me.”

“Yeah, we’ll see about that, John. I don’t want you.”

“You can tease me, be a bitch, whatever. It only adds fuel to the fire, Adrian.”


John knew she was a liar.

She hesitated on the line and then responded.

“Fine. Are you going to the party tomorrow?”

John took a second to push the fallen hair out of his eyes, and took a deep breath.

“Yeah. I’ll be there.”

“Alright. I’ll see you then.”


He hung up the phone and pulled out of the driveway, heading back home.

He dragged his feet up the stairs and collapsed on the unmade bed, once again staring up at the ceiling. He closed his eyes, letting his head fill with dreams of Adrian. He promised himself that tomorrow night, something would happen.

* * *

There was an hour to the party and John was as anxious as ever. His phone rang in his pocket.

One new picture message: Adrian.

He rolled his eyes, before clicking OK.

He smirked at the picture on his phone and laughed before flipping it shut.

He grabbed his keys, deciding to take a drive before the party.

Around 7:30, John pulled up to the huge white house that was the venue for the night. From outside, you could hear and feel the bass pumping. People were scattered all over the place, drinking, laughing, and having fun.

John moved his way through the various bodies, trying to find Adrian. When he spotted her, he shook his head. She was in the corner, surrounded by three guys, flirting shamelessly.

John stared at her, refusing to look away until he caught her eye. When their eyes finally met, he turned around, determined to somehow get her alone.

When she was finally alone, John walked over to Adrian.

“Care to dance?”

She looked down at the ground before looking back up at John.

“Yeah. Sure.”

The two teenagers walked over to the dance floor and started to sway to the fast tempo music. John rested his hands on Adrian’s waist, as she wrapped her arms around her neck.

John was certain this was the moment that Adrian would confess her undying love for him.

“Johnny boy, you’re so silly.”

“Why is that?”

“Because. You think I want you.”

He scoffed.

“Adrian. This isn’t fun anymore, alright? I’m sick of your games. You’re a liar and I know it. So until you get it through your head that I know you’re a fake, I’m done. Are you happy? You won.”

John broke away from Adrian, and walked out of the house. Ready to walk home, no intention of driving. John was nearly at the end of the block when he heard his name being called.

“John! Wait.”

Against his better judgment, he turned around, coming face to face with none other than Adrian.

“What do you want, Adrian?”

“A second chance?”

He scoffed, about to turn away.

“A second chance at what? Playing with my heart again? I don’t think so.”

John turned, but not quick enough. He was pulled back by Adrian’s hold on his wrist.

“John, really. Hear me out.”

He looked at the ground waiting for her to go on.

“You were right. All along. You were right.”

He looked into her soft gray eyes, trying to figure her out.

“Right about what?”

“I’m a liar. A fake. I want you. All of you.”

John suddenly smiled the crooked smile that Adrian hated to love.

She took his rough, calloused hands into her own soft ones.

“John. I like you. A lot.”

He smiled.

“Prove it.”

She laughed and leaned in, placing a soft, tender kiss on John’s lips.

Finally, the two shared a much needed warm embrace.

They broke apart, bringing their foreheads together.

John smiled.

“Now what?”

Adrian laughed.

“Well, you have me right where you want me. But now, you’ve got to catch me.”

“What?”

Adrian took off, running back down the street to the party.

John laughed and shook his head, before taking off behind her.

He’d catch her, but in his mind, he knew he’d already caught her. And that’s all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
yay(: I actually kind of liked this. Thoughts? (: