Status: 9.15.12 ~ slowly, but surely. . .

Love Is Hell

four.

It was 10:50 exactly when I pulled into the cul-de-sac. I slowly pulled up in front of the house and turned the car off. It was then when I actually started to doubt my plan.

What was I thinking? I was being ridiculous and stupid. I should just go home now. What was I even trying to accomplish? I sighed and forced myself to turn the car off. I looked at the house. All the lights were off and there were three cars in the driveway.

I dug around in my bag until I found the crumpled piece of paper that I got out of the garbage before I left. I put the number into my phone and then got out of the car. I grabbed all my bags from the back and walked over to the front door. I placed the bags in front of the door and then I called his number. I waited and stared at the house as it began to ring.

“Hello?” a groggily voice answered after the fourth ring.

“Hey,” I said awkwardly, “Uhm… you wanna open your front door?”

He was quiet for a second, “Who is this?” he asked.

A ray of light suddenly illuminated the grass. I looked up and saw a light on in a room upstairs.

“Hello?” he asked.

I walked backwards so I could see the window clearly.

“Look out your window.” I said.

I heard shuffling on the other end of the phone, “Who the fu—” he began. I looked back up at the window and saw him standing there looking confused.

“Lorraine? What are you doing here?” he asked staring down at me.

I rolled my eyes, “Just come down and open the door.” I said before I hung up.

Garrett just stood there and stared at me. I motioned to the door. He just shook his head and disappeared from my sight.

“Garrett!” I whispered loudly, “Garrett, open the door!”

I groaned. Was he seriously going to just leave me here standing outside his window? I walked over to the front door, ready to bang loudly on the door, not caring if I woke his parents up. I drove all the way over here and had nowhere else to go. And I definitely was not planning on going back home.

Suddenly, the front door swung opened revealing a disheveled looking Garrett. He was wearing gray sweatpants, a black v-neck and glasses. His hair was a mess.

I waved awkwardly as he just stared at me looking extremely confused and slightly irritated.

“What are you doing here, at my house, at eleven o’clock at night?” he asked, reminding me of the first time we met. He looked down and noticed my bags. He looked back up at me and furrowed his eyebrows.

I sighed, “So, um, I kind of need a place to stay…” I mumbled, nervously chewing on my bottom lip.

He blinked a few times before shaking his head, “Are you serious? It’s 11 at night! My parents are asleep, I was asleep; I can’t just let you move in!”

I shook my head, “I’m not asking to move in Garrett, just for the night!”

He sighed, “Look Lorraine, I’m sorry, really but—”

“Please,” I interrupted him, “You said to call if I ever needed to get away. I know it’s kind of different since I showed up at your house instead, but please. I can’t go back home. I need to get away, just for a bit. Please.”

He was silent for a minute, looking everywhere but me. He opened and closed his mouth a few times and then looked back down at my bags. I held my breath, waiting for him to say no and close the door. I wouldn’t blame him either. It was pretty unexpected to show up out of nowhere at his house in the middle of the night asking to stay for the night. We barely know each other and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even like me that much.

He ran his hand through his already messy hair and sighed, “Fine.”

&&

His room had become even messier since the last time I was in it. More clothes were tossed on the floor and shoes were scattered everywhere. There were two large duffle bags in the middle of the floor and guitars and guitar cases lined up against the wall.

“Sorry for the mess,” he said as he walked across the room, picking up some clothes and shoes, tossing them to the side, “I’ve been packing all day.”

I followed him with my bag, placing them down in the corner with my other bags that he carried up for me.

He walked back out into the hallway as I unzipped one of my bags and searched around for some clothes to sleep in. I pulled out a pair of ASU sweatpants and a Black Sabbath tank top. I walked to the attached bathroom and closed the door, quickly changing.

When I was finished and walked back into Garrett’s room, he was setting up a sleeping bag on the floor. I quickly walked over to my bag and stuffed my clothes into it. I then zipped my bag closed and straightened up. When he was finished putting down blankets, he looked up at me. He looked at my shirt and quirked an eyebrow, “You like Black Sabbath?” he asked.

I looked down at my tank top and then back up at him, “Yeah…” I said, “Why do you sound so surprised?”

He shrugged and turned away, walking towards his closet. I rolled my eyes and sat down on the sleeping bag.

Garrett began rummaging through his closet, occasionally throwing some shirts behind him onto the floor. I watched as he did this for a few minutes. Finally, he closed his closet and then began folding the shirts and stuffing them into a duffle bag.

“What are you packing for?” I asked after a few more minutes of silence.

“Tour.” He replied as he zipped the full duffle bag. He then grabbed another empty suitcase and began filling it with the clothes that didn’t fit.

“Tour?” I asked.

"Yeah, my band and I, we’re going on tour for about a month.” He explained.

I nodded, “Oh cool. So when are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow.”

I looked up at him, “Are you serious?” I asked standing up quickly, “I’m so sorry! I didn’t know… I can leave, I don’t have to stay. I can find—”

“Lorraine, chill.” He interrupted me calmly. “It’s fine. You’re just going to have to get up early because we’re leaving at six.”

I sighed and nodded, sitting back down. “Thanks.” I mumbled.

Garrett nodded and stood up. He walked over to his bedroom door and closed it. He then looked down at me and motioned towards the bed, “Sleep on the bed.”

I shook my head, “No. You’re letting me stay; I can’t take your bed.”

He rolled his eyes, “Just get in the bed Lorraine. It’s one night, I don’t care.”

I huffed and shook my head. If he honestly thought I was going to give up that easily then he had another thing coming. I was stubborn, a trait I unfortunately got from my mother. But it did come handy when fighting with other people because I always won.

Apparently though, Garrett was stubborn as well and wasn’t giving up easily either. He grabbed a blanket that was neatly folded at the end of his bed and threw it on the floor. He then grabbed a pillow off his bed and threw that on the blanket.

“Whatever. But I’m sleeping on the floor, so you can either be stupid and waste the empty bed by sleeping on the floor and have back problems in the morning, or just sleep in the bed.” He said as he walked over to his nightstand.

I rolled my eyes as I unzipped the sleeping bag and slipped inside, “I’ll take my chances with the back problems.”

He set his alarm clock and then turned off the lamp. Everything went dark. I could faintly see the outline of Garrett lying down on the floor, in between me and the empty bed. He moved around a bit, probably trying to get comfortable, and then it was quiet.

I stared up at the dark ceiling, listening to the crickets. I could hear Garrett breathing, but I don’t think he was asleep yet. I turned over onto my side, facing him. My eyes were a bit more adjusted to the darkness so I could see him faintly. He was lying on his back, and I’m pretty sure his eyes were opened.

“Thanks again Garrett.” I whispered.

He turned his head towards me. I think he could see me looking at him because he smiled faintly.

I then exhaled and closed my eyes, letting the crickets softly lull me to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
so its short, but things are just getting started... (;
also, starting tomorrow updates might become slower because i've been on a long weekend and have school the rest of the week so i probably won't be able to update as quickly. but i'm sure if you all continue to comment and subscribe i will be motivated enough to try and update! but thanks to everyone who commented/subscribed please continue to do so! (: