Those Who Fall

Still Too Easy

My aunt wasn't back home yet so we went to get his car cleaned out and I stood nearby as he vacuumed the carpets and got one of those cute little air freshener things that look like trees. The car ride was silent except for my quiet grunts every now and then. He would grab my hand tighter with each one. He kept asking what it was but I kept saying "nothing" or "it's a girl thing." He wasn't buying it anymore.
Back at home the searing pain in my abdomen was stronger than ever. I felt like someone had shot me, but no blood. Of course, I didn't know what a gun shot felt like but I could imagine. A party of razerblades inside of myself, all I could do was lay on my back and wait for it to be over. My stomach convulsing one minute after the other gave me a slight headache. It wouldn't end so I slowly made my way from the couch to the kitchen cabinet. With every step, I kept regretting living. That opportunity I had, that slipped past with the gun. I wanted it. I had to try aspirin first. I went straight upstairs to avoid having Matt watch me squirm. After an hour of writhing in pain on the floor in my room the painkiller kicked in and Vic appeared.

"What's wrong?"

"Mmnothing." I struggled to stand up, weighed down by my own guilt.

"I can hear your heart you know. Come here." he had a stern look on his face. I slowly scooted toward him and he rested his hand on my chest. "your heartbeat. It's so rapid. There is a quieter one too." I knocked his hand down and scooted back against the wall. I didn't want him to solve my problem like he tried to before I went to Boston, my torso had a huge purplish yellow bruise on it for a good two weeks.

My bedroom door was to my left and I wanted to ask him to leave but I was convinced he'd say no. I knelt to get up but I could feel something again so I sat. He looked at me. Stared at me. He stood up and held out his hand. I don't know how he got me to stand but when he grabbed me the razerblades disintegrated. He was being so gentle. He linked my hands behind his neck and his hands stuck to my love handles. We glided across the room, swaying back and forth. He finally accomplished something I thought was impossible for him, compassion. I wanted to laugh so badly but I tried to hold it in which naturally made me laugh even harder.

"Why're you laughing?"

"Because there's no music."

"We don't need music." he bowed his head and kissed me. Gently he lifted my legs by the back of my knees and settled us on my bed. The pillow cradled his head and he kept staring into my eyes.

"I-you don't want to do this. I'm on my period." that was my best guess. "just rest with me." All I could feel was his cool belt buckle that jingled when he moved under me. I moved my hands so that they were under his back, like I was hugging him, but horizontally.

"You know, how, you're all superhuman now?"

"Yea-"

"How'd that happen?"

"Well," my head rested on his chest. His voice was raspy. Diving into it felt like my only source of relief from the pain that had subsided when he walked into my room. "after I had locked you up more and more people had come to the party in the basement. Once all the people I invited had gotten there I double bolted their only way out. Do you remember Henry?"

"No,"

"Well, Henry Carlton, a scientist, mad in a way, had this elaborate plan laid out. I had agreed to it long in advance. The day after we first met actually. He had an ingenious plan to dispose of my old body and give me this new invincible one."

"That isn't possible though."

"I told you he was mad. Anyway, he did this but he needed a storm. Similar to my great grandfather's creation. My new body was awakened by electromagnetic energy. My old body was easily controlled. We simply set it free. Of course later we found it beaten and shot to death. But our plan worked, close to perfectly. Just like an oven the basement would get uncomfortably hot. But then, another one of Henry's inventions, the basement would spontaneously combust." gleaming with happiness and excitement his eyes were scaring me. He was almost spitting his every word at me.

"But I wasn't in the basement anymore. Was I?"

"When Henry drove me back from the safe house I checked among the rubble and your scent wasn't there, nor your bones."

"How did you know to come looking for me?"

"I have powers..."

"What are they, exactly?"

"So many-"

"I just want to get to know you better..."

"First off, all my senses are ten times what they were as a human. I can eat pretty much anything. Increased strength, speed, versatility. Immortality too."

"So you're pretty much indestructible,"

"Yep,"

"No weaknesses?"

"Eh,"

"Have you experienced anything that almost hurt you?"

"Nickel, I guess. It kind of burned when... That might have been the silver though. Lead..."

"Nickel or Silver and Lead...that's weird. I love you so much." A couple kisses that took everything inside of me to not vomit through, and he was gone. That was too easy.