Status: Getting back into the swing of things. Updates will be gradual! Thanks for reading!

Silent Angel Crashes Through the Sky

Chapter 1

It's been raining for three days straight. Last night was a thunderstorm, but tonight it's a light drizzle. Coating everyone and everything in water to make the streets slippery and dangerous.

I was after a blood dealer in North Chicago, but hadn't found him, yet. I hung around the docks for as long as possible, but realized that he wasn't coming when my wristwatch beeped 2:00 am. I'd spent half of the night just sitting there and waiting, staring into the distance at a lighthouse on an island of rocks.

I was wet and freezing. I tried to pull up my soaked sweatshirt tighter around me, shivering harshly. My body was weighed down by wet clothes, wooden stakes, and vials of holy water, but I stood up swiftly and ran as fast as I could out from behind the crates. I followed the maze of wooden boxes and finally met the streets of the city. My legs were asleep and my right foot was cramped, but I ignored it.

I bounded through deep and dirty puddles of water and garbage on the streets, and almost slipped a couple times. The streets were empty, as usual. That was a good sign. Kind of.

Lots of people were dying, found dead and drained of blood in dark and dirty allies. Lots of people were afraid to say it, but they knew what it was deep down. No one wanted to be the first to say it. Because it was crazy. Even I knew it was crazy. Impossible and... and just crazy.

I prayed to God every night that I would wake up and it would be over. They'd all be gone and I'd find a man who loved me and who could protect me. My brother would be... human. Human or dead. Either way would make me happy. So long as he wasn't one of them.

Yeah. One of them....

The vampires.

-*-

My name is Clark Ann Wentz. I'm 24 years old, and I am an independent vampire hunter.

This feels like an AA meeting.

I've lived alone for three years and for three years I've killed. I can't afford to lose because losing means death. Death means one less hunter in the world and that means that the vampires are one step closer to total control.

It's not paranoia, it's the truth.

I also haven't been able to leave the state of Illinois for three years. I've tried, don't get me wrong. I just can't. Don't ask me why, because I really do not know, but it's kept me here in one of the most vampire-populated states in America. They hover around Chicago as a Mecca for socializing and feeding.

Three years ago my love was killed. That's all I'm going to say about that because once I start talking about Jimmy, I start talking about my brother soon after. I refuse.

I wish I could tell you I'm pretty... but my mother would often say that people have brown eyes because they're full of shit. Sorry to any other brown-eyed girls out there, but that's what my mom used to tell me when I was a teenager. She had green eyes that I envied and long, smooth, wavy, brown hair that I did not inherit. I was born with black hair that became so unmanageable that I eventually cut it off, never letting it grow much below my ears (which also makes hunting a lot easier). I stuck some blue dye in there every now and then because my mom told me that I shouldn't.

I miss her to death

-*-

My hair was matted to my face uncomfortably and I tried to brush it away as I ran. I swallowed to soothe my dry throat but it didn't help much.

I had found the blood dealer.

He ran, of course, so I had to chase him. He tossed me a smile and took off down the street. He was playing with me. Trying to tire me out. We both knew he could do much better if he really wanted to.

Suddenly, my foot slipped on the wet pavement and I cried out as I went down hard. I bit my tongue and my mouth filled up with blood. I cringed and spit out some of the copper taste, trying to force back frustrated tears. I heard him laugh as his steps echoed down the street. I groaned rolled onto my back when I realized that he was gone. The whole night was all for nothing because of one little slip-up.

I looked up at the starless city sky and frowned deeply. I bit my lip trying to think about anything except how pathetic I was. I shut my eyes tight and shook my head. I sat up and buried my face into my hands, holding my breath.

I suddenly heard a splash and I looked up quickly. The four of them stood there, three of them with looks of pity and my brother choosing to look at his sneakers. I stood up quickly and turned away.

"Wait, Clark! Just wait, damn it!" I started to walk away quickly.

"The hell are you doing here?" I shouted back at them.

"We're hunting, just like you, Clark." His voice was coming closer and I could hear their footsteps following. "Let us help you! We're on the same team, Clark!" He was trying to sound reasonable. Stupid bastard was trying to be my friend.

"We're obviously not, Patrick. As long as he's still with you, we're never going to be on the same team. Goodbye." I picked up speed to a brisk run, ignoring my burning, protesting lungs. Their footsteps stopped completely. I let the tears fall freely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! First chapter!

I'm really not sure who Clark is going to end up with in the end. So be sure to give me your opinions!

If anyone is confused by anything please don't hesitate to come and ask me!

Comment + Subscribe!

Thank you for reading!