Status: This is from a long time ago, so there will be like a chapter posted per day

Faded Memories

Home Again

I whistle some song I heard Kisa play on her flute as I stare out the car window.
“I can tell you have gotten better at entertaining yourself in the car.” I hear a smile in Hatori’s voice.
It has been seven years since I was living with Shigure. I am now twenty-three and I graduated home school and take college classes over the internet. Hatori finally said that I could move back in with Shigure after I begged him for a day.

“Hatori please let me move back in with Shigure.”
He looks at me over the top of the newspaper he is reading. “Do you know your diet perfectly?”
“Yes,” I answer immediately. I have memorized every food I can and cannot eat and all the times I should and shouldn’t eat.
“Well, I can’t think of any other reason why you shouldn’t go back home. Everyone can survive without a Head of the Family for a while. You can just come back if someone needs to talk to you.”

I watch as we approach my real home. As soon as the limo begins to slow I jump out the door. “Shigure, Kyo, Yuki, I’m home!!”
I run inside and see Shigure standing in front of me. “Ruki, you’re home!!”
“I’m here to stay.” Shigure hugs me and I hear Yuki walk down stairs.
“Yuki, I’m here to stay.”
Yuki grabs me and lifts me off the floor and spins me around. “Ruki, I am so glad you’re back.” Yuki kisses me. I stay stunned and then he deepens the kiss. “I love you Ruki.” I feel his breath on my neck.
I stop myself from running away like a child. “W-where’s Kyo?”
Yuki leans away from me and stares in my eyes. “He heard the limo pull up and ran away. He told me to tell you ‘Meet me in our secret hiding spot from when we were children.’”
I nod and back away from Yuki. I know I am breaking his heart but I want to see Kyo. I need to see Kyo.

I feel my feet grow familiar with the uneven, ragged land that leads to mine and Kyo’s place. I pass trees with orange and white circles on them signaling I am on the right path. When the ground evens out I stumble.
I look up and see the chipped white paint on the fence surrounding the garden. I walk slowly through the trees while pink blossoms sail around me. “It’s so beautiful.” I catch a blossom in my hand.
“It’s not nearly as beautiful as you.”
I look up at Kyo. “I’m back.”
“Ruki, I want to be with you forever.” I watch Kyo get down on one knee and I feel my heart race; I want to run away so much, but I stay where I am. “Ruki, will you marry me?”
I feel like I’m going to explode. I bite my lip and watch Kyo’s eyes darken. He doesn’t walk away though, he continues to wait. I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. “Kyo…”
Kyo looks at me for a second. “Say yes or no Ruki. That would make it a lot easier.” Kyo stands up and stares into my eyes.
I throw myself at Kyo and kiss him. “Yes,” I whisper and feel everything change. Kyo kisses me back and the mood lightens. I feel Kyo slide the ring on my finger but I don’t care.

I sit in Kyo’s lap and look at my ring. It’s not flashy or big, it’s perfect for me. It’s silver and doesn’t have a diamond on it; it has a small topaz in the center. “Kyo, I love it.”
“I knew you would.”
I lean my head against his chest. “I’m sorry I left for so long.”
“Don’t be sorry. It was the best thing for you. Your health comes first. What’s the use of me having you while you are dying?”
I smile at him. Kyo has really matured since I last saw him. I look up at the sky and think about how my life is going to change.