RockScars

Dear Reader,

I walked among them a human; I died among them at the age of 18. They are the clan Vengeance.

I came into this clan as a child of only 10 years old. My parents, though they were both human, were highly respected friends with the clan and it’s Prince. Seven years ago in the midst of a turf war, my parents offered them a place to hide. For that, my parents were given more than just gratitude, but the protection of the clan as well.

Unlike the stories you’ve heard about most vampires, they don’t hunt humans and they don’t feed from them either. It is their wish to walk among the humans as part of their society. Most have readily accepted the Vampires, but there are many who chose not to acknowledge their existence. They don’t need blood to survive, but it does keep them from growing weak. They eat normal food and don’t sit around sucking on human necks all night long. Most importantly, they don’t kill for sport. Stop watching Dracula.

On my 10th birthday, my home was attacked and my parents were both killed trying to protect the clan. For their loyalty, the clan took me as well as my infant sister into their family and raised us as their own. My sister Lark, has known no other life, but I however, remember a life before the clan. Lark was born without the ability to hear. She can speak and read lips and even sign when she feels like it. She’s seven years old now and loves everything and everyone. Especially him. I hate him.

Although she cannot hear, she communicates well enough for someone who didn’t know she was deaf to be completely fooled. I was also born impaired, but have the luxury of being able to hear. They say the eyes are the window to the soul. Well, mine aren’t a window to anything. I can see, but have never had a truly clear picture. Little by little my sight is fading. Eventually, I will be completely blind.

At night, I attend Vengeance University with the other students of the clan. During the day, I sleep as they do. Over the years I have adapted to the clan’s lifestyle and have come to love them as my family. Just like in a normal family though, there is one black sheep. Everything in my life seemed to be clicking right into place until the day that motherfucker came back. Did I mention I hate him?”

As you turn the pages of the book you are about to read, know that it was written in blood. This is not a tale of how I lived, but that of how I died. Make no mistake, this is no “Once upon a time” Fairy tale. If you close the book before the end and walk away, no harm no foul. If you make it through to the end…Welcome to the family.

I am Twyla and I am a Vampire.

(A/N: Yes, I know 10 and 7 are 17, but this story is told over the span of a year.)