Status: In The Making

Don't Say We Have Come Now to the End

Chapter 2

"They are here," Alys spoke from where she stood by the window that overlooked the dark, deserted and mud filled streets of Bree. The moonlight shone through thin, grey clouds as it streamed into our room and illuminated Alys' face underneath her dark green hood eerily.

"Where are they?" Questioned Strider, as he walked up to the window and stood beside Alys, the moonlight shining down on his face and making his grey eyes glow magically.

"They are just coming through the West gates of Bree right now. We cannot tell you much, though, old friend. For as much as we wish to be able to see them and everything that they do we were not blessed with that ability by the Valar; we can only sense their evil as they make their way closer to us," I murmured quietly as I stepped up to join the two at the window, the moonlight just barely lightening up my features from under my dark green hood, keeping in mind that the Hobbits were sleeping softly only a few feet away.

"Ah, I see them now," Strider spoke moments later, as we could all now see the four Nazgûl galloping through the muddy, deserted streets of Bree on their black as coal horses; as every second passed, the Nazgûl got closer and closer, their evil intensifying with each hoof fall of their horses.

The five of us watched from the window as the Nazgûl jumped down from their steeds and glided towards the door to the Prancing Pony, faintly hearing the old, wooden door as it slammed against the tavern walls inside. Alys, Ayleth, Ellyn and I could sense poor Mr. Butterbur hiding behind the bar, frightened out of his wits; faintly hear the armor clad footsteps of the Riders as they walked up the old, creaky wooden stairs and into one of the Hobbit rooms. Silently they walk to the beds, one to each of the four, swords drawn silently at their sides. The room almost completely dark except for the moonlight that streams through the window and rests upon the floor and beds of the Hobbits. Sam stirs and turns in his sleep before falling silent once more. Pippin stirs as well, as if awakening from a dream, before falling back into the world of dreams, his light snoring filling the room. Merry's quiet snores mix with Pippin's. The Riders noiselessly raise their swords in front of them. In a wicked, yet graceful movement, the Nazgûl quickly plunge their swords into the four Hobbit beds. Each stroke and stab of the sword causes a metallic ring to fly through the air before faintly reaching our ears across the street. We could only watch the shadows of the Riders moving in the window and listen to their horses whinny and neigh below in the muddy and abandoned streets.

The Hobbits are awoken and bolt straight up from the bed as the screams of the Black Riders reach their ears. Shriek after endless, rage filled shriek flies from the Hobbits room in the Prancing Pony, quickly followed by the four Nazgûl as they flee from the Inn and rush over to their ever faithful steeds.

"What are they?" Questioned Frodo from where he sat on the bed, drawing Strider, Ayleth, Ellyn, Alys and mine's attention away from the streets below to the Hobbits who were now all awake and staring at us expectantly; fear shining brightly in all of their eyes. The screams of the Black Riders could still be heard from below.

"They were once Men. Great kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine rings of power," I answered, the light of the dying fire flickering on the right side of my face while the moonlight shone of the left under my still drawn hood.

"Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness," Alys continued, glancing from the Hobbits back to the retreating shadows of the Black Riders.

"Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl. Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead," Ellyn added, as her gaze traveled across the faces of Sam, Merry, Pippin and Frodo.

"At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you," Strider finished, finally taking his gaze from the retreating shapes of the Nazgûl as they finally reached the broken down gates of Bree to the Hobbits.

"Get some sleep little ones. It will be quite some time before you will be able to rest peacefully in a bed. We have a long day of traveling ahead of us tomorrow," Ayleth spoke gently to the Hobbits as she walked over to the bed with Ellyn and tucked the four of them back under the covers. The two of them sat at the corner of the bed and watched as the Hobbits rustled in the bed sheets, looking for a comfortable spot before the two Elves were questioned by Pippin.

"Could you tell us a story, Lady Ayleth?"

"I think I could. Hmmm...Ah, here's a good one. Quite some years back Alys, Thea, Ellyn, and I were traveling through the high, snow covered peaks of the Misty Mountains when we stopped to rest for the night. Alys had somehow managed to get a fire going in the blistering cold winds and was keeping first watch while the rest of us slept. Not long after we had fallen asleep, Alys decided to go walk around and see if any dangers were nearby. While she was away some of the Mountain Goblins had come across our camp from the opposite direction that Alys had gone in and snuffed out our fire. Shortly after the fire had been put out, Thea awoke to find out why it had gotten much cooler then it was and much darker when she saw the dark shadows of the Goblins. Thinking quickly she called out to Alys which in turn woke up Ellyn and I and we fought against the Goblins on a cliff high above solid ground that was not much wider then this bed. I had been pushed back by a wall of massive, grotesque looking Goblins and was near the edge of the cliff when a humongous Goblin lunged at me. I managed to push him past me and it seemed like ages before his terrified screams ended. The Goblins suddenly stopped fighting and began to run away, their strange shrieks filling the cold air as they retreated. It turns out that the massive Goblin that had lunged at me was the leader of that group of Goblins. Luckily, we all managed to escape the battle with minor cuts and bruises," Ayleth told the Hobbits.

"Well everyone, but you Ayleth," Ellyn commented.

"Yes, of course. With my luck, the leading Goblin had managed to rake my arm with his sword. From here to here the wound went and blood was just streaming out of my arm,” Ayleth said as she rolled up the sleeve of her right arm and pointed to a long, white scar that ran from her shoulder to just above her elbow. “Luckily though, Alys got her fire going again and we were able to heat the tip of my sword and press it against my wound a couple of times to seal it; this also helped to stop my wound from getting infected," Ayleth finished, the Hobbits stared at her scar from where they sat in the bed with astonished faces.

"Did it hurt, milady?" Sam questioned innocently, his brown eyes wide with curiosity.

"Yes, like most wounds it hurt," Ayleth answered truthfully as she rolled down her sleeve and adjusted her dark green cloak.

"That is the end of her story though, little ones. It is late, and it's time you Hobbits got some more sleep," Ellyn said as she affectionately ruffled Pippin's hair. The Hobbits listened and shortly after laying down were soon fast asleep, their minds currently wiped of all thoughts of Black Riders and dreaming of their own adventures.

"Ayleth, Ellyn, Alys you three should get some sleep as well. The three of you have not rested for some time," I advised my friends from where I stood by the fireplace.

"Very well," Alys complied and the three of them soon found places on chairs in the room to sleep in; within moments their slowed and steady breathing mixed with the light snores of the Hobbits filling the air of the small room.

"Where are you going?" Strider asked when he saw me walking towards the door; mixed emotions filling his eyes, a mixture between curiosity, worry, and some other emotion that I could not place my finger on.

"Across the street and into the Prancing Pony. I am going to see how Barliman is and if anything happened to any of the men that were there from earlier," Satisfied with my answer, Strider nodded his head before turning back to stare out the window, watching my small, dark figure closely as I walked across the muddied street before disappearing into the Prancing Pony.

~~~~~~*******~~~~~~

Morning soon came and the Hobbits, now accompanied by Alys, Ellyn, Ayleth and I as well as our horses, ran to catch up with Strider who was ahead of us. The early morning sun just beginning to break through the rain clouds that had hung over Bree the previous night, sending warm rays of sunlight to dance and sparkle in the dew that weighed down the green blades of grass beneath our feet; the chirping of Blue Birds could be heard in the trees of the Chetwood Forest high above our heads and the buildings of Bree could just barely be seen in the distance behind us.

"Where are you taking us?" Frodo asked of Strider who was still some feet ahead of him and the other Hobbits; Alys and Ellyn walked in the middle of our group, leading their horses, Rosalie and Alice, while Ayleth and I were leading our horses, Elizabeth and Aerith, from the front of the group as we now were walking along side Strider.

"Into the wild," Strider threw over his shoulder as he looked back to make sure the Hobbits weren't too far behind.

It had been a few hours, the lush green hills now behind us, the warm sunlight hidden by light grey clouds and an eerie, yet enchanting mist had now danced it way in between the trunks of the tall trees that surrounded our small, traveling group. The beautiful and lively chirping of Blue Birds had settled down, and the once lively forest of Chetwood had quickly become gloomy and silent.

"How do we know this Strider and these Ladies are friends of Gandalf's?" Merry asked quietly, coming up beside his cousin, Frodo, suspicion dripping from each word as he glanced distrustfully at our backs as we walked through the maze of moss covered trees.

"I think servants of the enemy would look fairer, but feel fouler," Frodo responded, glancing up at our backs and then back at Merry.

"Strider is foul enough. Lady Alys, Ellyn, Ayleth and Thea seem much nicer and friendlier," Merry responded before slowing down his pace to walk beside Sam who walked at the back of our traveling group.

"You are not foul, dear friend," I whispered to Strider, taking a hold of his hand in my fingerless gloved hand and giving it an encouraging squeeze. A small ray of sunlight slipped through a hole in the grey clouds above our heads and shone down through the canopy of leaves before falling upon my face, illuminating my flawless skin and making my blonde hair shine brightly under my dark green, almost black, hood; as I glanced up at him, offering a dazzling smile, Strider returning one with his trademark toothy grin.

"We have no choice but to trust them," Frodo said to the three Hobbits surrounding him, sounding a bit reluctant as he spoke of their new traveling companions.

"But where are they taking us?" Sam questioned as he lead his pony, Bill whom he had gotten before we left Bree, through the endless maze of trees; the sound of the pots and pans that both Sam and Bill carried in their packs rattling throughout the peaceful Chetwood Forest.

"To Rivendell, Master Gamgee. To the House of Elrond," I informed the Hobbits, startling them slightly when they realized that we had heard their conversation; a hint of happiness shone in my eyes and could be heard in my voice as I spoke of my father and my home.

"D'you hear that!? Rivendell! We're going to see the Elves!" Exclaimed Sam, gleeful at the prospect of being in a great Elven city such as Rivendell and being able to interact and live among Elves for some time.

We carried on the rest of the day through the woodland, the wind picking up, bringing in darker clouds and soon rain. Strider pulled his cloak closer to him and brought his hood up over his head, Alys, Ayleth, Ellyn and I soon following his lead. The poor Hobbits though had very thin cloaks that put up very little resistance to the rain; I looked back from where I walked with Aerith near the front of the group, Strider still some ways ahead of me, to see the four Hobbits hanging their heads and looking completely soaked and gloomy.

The temperature dropped over night and during our next day of traveling, white, silky snow soon covered spots here and there along the ground as it fell enchantingly from the grey sky. Alys, Ellyn and Ayleth were now walking side-by-side with the Hobbits, talking with them and even putting the three of them on their horses - Sam on Alys' horse, Rosalie; Merry on Ayleth's horse, Elizabeth; and Pippin on Ellyn's horse, Alice. Frodo had decided sometime earlier in the day to walk with me where we shared many stories about his uncle Bilbo and many tales of the Shire. After some time I began to notice Frodo slowing his pace so I offered him a ride on top of my horse, Aerith, in which he gladly accepted. We had been traveling for quite some time that day and Frodo and I had finished our conversation long ago, now we were just walking in silence, listening to what the others had to say; occasionally, Frodo would join in on his cousin's conversations, but for the most part he was quiet like Strider and I.

~~~~~~*******~~~~~~

We had traveled on through the night, the Hobbits eating some apples and bread that Ayleth and Alys had packed before falling asleep on our horses. It was not long after sunrise that the Hobbits had awoken and decided to jump off the horses and walk again, stretching their cramped legs after a long nights rest; Frodo retreating from my side to walk along side Sam and Bill at the rear of our group. It was quite some time later, at around midday I'd reckon, that Strider paused to get his bearings, looking up at the grey, cloud filled sky and looking out over the large, green bush filled landscape, snow covering the ground around us for miles upon miles; it was during this pause that he and I heard the clattering and clanging of pots and pans. Looking back we see that Alys, Ayleth and Ellyn are looking strangely down at the Hobbits who were all gathered around Sam's pony, Bill, taking out frying pans and cooking utensils from the packs that the pony carried.

"Gentlemen! We do not stop 'til nightfall," Strider called back to the Hobbits as he stood on a slight hill covered in a thin layer of fluffy, white snow.

"What about breakfast?" Questioned Pippin, looking up towards Strider as he pulled a cooking utensil out of one of Bill's packs that had been laid out on the snowy ground.

"You have already had it," Alys replied, quite confused about Pippin's odd question as she looked down on him from where she stood just beside him with Rosalie.

"We've had one yes. What about second breakfast?" Pippin retorted, as if it were quite obvious, as he turned around and stared up at her, this time with a frying pan in hand.

Confused, Strider frowns before turning and walking away shaking his head as he walked. I soon followed behind him with Alys by my side, while Ayleth and Ellyn stayed behind with the Hobbits keeping a watchful eye in case of danger while the little one's packed up their pots and pans and utensils once more.

"I don't think they know about second breakfast Pip," Said Merry as he picked his bag up off the ground before swinging it back onto his shoulders, before setting off to follow Strider, Alys and I up ahead.

"What about elevenses? Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner? Supper!? They know about them, don't they?" Cried out an astounded and quite frightened Pippin as he struggled to catch up with his friend and swing his pack onto his back at the same time.

"I wouldn't count on it," Replied Merry, catching an apple that was tossed over some bushes by Strider and giving it to Pippin as he patted him on the back, before Merry continued walking up the slope towards Alys, Strider and I. Alys tossed another apple over the bushes in Pippin's direction, but the apple ends up hitting the clumsy little Hobbit on the head.

"Pippin!" Merry cried out in annoyance from over the bushes.

Before Pippin could catch up with Merry, Ellyn walked up beside him, resting her hand on his little shoulder.

"Don't worry Pippin, we know about lunch and supper, but seldom will we eat lunch, besides a few apples. You will have to suffice with breakfast and supper only," She told him, smiling down at him reassuringly, before picking him up and putting him atop her horse, Alice, once again. Checking behind her to see how Sam and Frodo were doing, Ellyn continued up the slope and joined Strider, Alys and I on the other side of the bushes as we continued our long journey towards Rivendell. Sam and Frodo quickly finished tying up the packs once again onto Bill before they too hurried to catch up with the rest of us, Frodo leading Bill this time; lastly, Ayleth followed them leading Elizabeth as she brought up the rear of our small group.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long since I last updated, just have a lot of stuff going on. Oh! And it would be nice to get some feedback about my stories. I don't know if they are good or not and I would really like to know. Hopefully you all enjoy this one! =)