Status: In The Making

Don't Say We Have Come Now to the End

Chapter 4

Soon our group of nine comes upon a clearing in Trollshaw Forest where the moonlight shone through the trees and rested upon the ground and the ferns, illuminating the statues of three large trolls who surrounded the clearing, and giving the clearing a sort of serene like feeling as everything has a sort of whitish tint to it from the moonlight. Strider walks forward first and places Frodo gently down on the ground, making sure not to bump his shoulder too hard as he places him down. Sam, Merry and Pippin quickly follow Strider into the clearing, torches in hand; Sam was the first of the Hobbits to rush over to where Frodo had been laid down, checking to see if his dear friend was alright, the moonlight illuminating part of Sam's face as he gazed down at Frodo worriedly. Not long afterwards Sam notices Frodo's eyes flicker open, his eyes clouded and red rimmed, while his brow was spotted with sweat. Softly, Sam speaks to Frodo, "Look, Frodo. It's Mr. Bilbo's trolls." Referring to the three large trolls that Bilbo had run into on his travels long ago, that surrounded them, one directly behind Frodo.

However, Sam finally takes notice that Frodo's eyes are distant and that they appear to be covered by a layer of fog, worrying the poor Hobbit even more. It was still clearly evident to Alys, Ayleth, Ellyn, Strider and myself that sweat still danced heavily across Frodo's face, worry soon weighing down all of our hearts as to how much longer this poor little Hobbit could hold on for.

"Mr. Frodo? He's going cold." Sam exclaimed as he placed his hand of Frodo's cheek, realizing how cold it was to the touch.

"Is he going to die?" Questions Pippin as he rests next to Frodo; worry for his second cousin clearly written across his flame illuminated face.

"He's passing into the Shadow World. He'll soon become a Wraith like them." I turn my head and inform the worried Hobbits from where I stood near Strider, Alys, Ayleth, and Ellyn, the wind dancing with the flames of our torches and whipping them about. Turning my head around again and looking off into the shadows beyond the trees of the forest with Strider and the others, a distant cry of a Wraith carries through the air and as if to reply Frodo gasps out as well.

"They're close." Merry whispers worriedly as he turns around and walks back towards the group of Hobbits from where he once stood near the base of one of the Troll statues.

"Sam, do you know the Athelas plant?" Strider questions, quickly thinking of remedies to help slow the poison as he called the poor, worried and frightened Hobbit over to him.

"Athelas?" Sam asks, confusion crossing his face at the strange word.

"Kingsfoil." Strider replies, offering a different name for the plant.

"Kingsfoil, aye, that's a weed." Sam replies, confusion dancing in the Hobbits' blue eyes.

"It may help to slow the poison. Hurry!" Strider explains as he worriedly glances at Frodo, wondering just how much longer he can last. Sam and Strider whip around, the moonlight catching their hair, making them appear angelic almost as they hurry away to help Frodo.

"Thea, you and Alys should go and help Strider and Sam look for Athelas. Frodo will need as much help as he can get right now. Ellyn and I will stay here with the others." Ayleth offers, her blue eyes boring into mine from underneath her hood. Nodding our heads, Alys and I bolt off into the tall, dark trees right behind Sam and Strider, scourging the dark forest floor looking for the small white flowered plant that would soon slow the poison now coursing through Frodo's body. Bending down, Ayleth and I soon find a small patch of Athelas plant on the forest floor and as the light of our torches dance upon the small flowers below our feet, the moonlight glints along the blades of our small knives as we cut small sections off the plant. After cutting enough off so that it fills a pocket in each of our cloaks, we whip around and run back towards Frodo, the breeze catching our hoods and our faces are finally revealed; our blond and brown hair blowing behind us as we ran back towards the clearing, determination to save Frodo shining brightly in our eyes.

Reaching the Hobbit at last, I bend down carefully, keeping in mind my own injury, sweat still dancing heavily across my brow. As I crouch there, bent over Frodo, I start to chew up some Athelas plant before pushing back Frodo's cloak and pulling his shirt down to expose his wound, placing the chewed Athelas plant deep into his shoulder. Sam, Merry and Pippin all staring at Ayleth and I as they finally get a chance to see who we really are, shock written across their faces as they realize that Ayleth and I are Elves.

"I'm sorry Frodo, I know this hurts, but it will help. I promise you." I slowly whisper to him as I place more Athelas into his shoulder, the skin around the wound and along his shoulder already starting to bruise and turn purple.

Horse hooves are soon heard coming towards us and Alys, Ayleth, Ellyn and I whip around expecting to see Wraiths coming towards us out of the dark shadows of the forest, our swords drawn, ready to defend these Hobbits from further injury. However we see nothing, but light and feel the presence of good, of another Elf, and not evil. Turning around, Ayleth and I lift our hoods up once again and all four of us move to stand behind Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin as we wait for Strider and the Elf to come into view.

As the Elf comes closer, Frodo turns his head, sensing the purity of the Elf. The light the Elf is giving off illuminates Frodo's sweat covered face and his blue eyes become bright, as life returns to them again and the fog recedes for another time. A beautifully majestic white horse gallops into the clearing and as the rider jumps off, a tall, dark brown, wavy haired Elf strides forward, her blue eyes fixed solely on Frodo. As the Elf gets closer, Alys, Ayleth, Ellyn and I soon realize that it is Lord Elrond's daughter, Arwen. My sister and our cousin is finally standing in front of us once again, after fifty years having past without seeing her, our hearts are filled with joy to know that she is alright and well.

"Frodo. Im Arwen telin let thaed. Lasto Beth nin, tolo Dan na ngalad. (Frodo, I am Arwen, I have come here to help you. Hear my voice, come back to the light.)" Arwen speaks to Frodo in Elvish, trying to use the power of the Elvish language to bring Frodo back towards the light; the moonlight shining upon Arwen from behind her, making her appear more beautiful and stunning than ever. Frodo appears transfixed by her words for a couple seconds, before he turns away from her and closes his eyes once again, his breathing becoming labored once more.

"Who is she?" Merry questions, staring strangely at Arwen as she leans over Frodo.

"Frodo." Arwen says, worry clearly evident in her voice as she inspects the injured Hobbit.

"She's an Elf." Sam answers quietly, amazed to see another Elf standing before him.

"He's fading." Arwen says after further inspecting Frodo, Strider soon leaning forward and placing more chewed Athelas plant into Frodo's wound, the light from the torches illuminating one side of his face, outlining the worry that is clearly evident upon it. Frodo struggles for breath as the Athelas comes into contact with his wound and his eyes appear distant, as if he is staring at something that none of us can see, a world far different from the world around us.

"He's not going to make it. We must get him to my father." Arwen tells Strider and soon the two are up, slowly and carefully lifting Frodo up and onto Arwen's beautiful stallion, Asfaloth. "I've been looking for you for two days. There are five Wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know." Arwen whispers quietly to Strider as she walks behind him towards her horse.

"Where are you taking him?" Merry questions worriedly as he, Sam, and Pippin watch Strider and Arwen move off with Frodo.

"Shhh...it's ok Merry. Frodo will be safe with them for now. Do not worry." Ellyn comforts the Hobbits, resting her hands on Merry and Pippin's shoulders as she too watches Frodo, Arwen and Strider.

"Dartho guin Berian ryh le ad tolthathon. (Stay with the Hobbits, I'll send horses for you.)" Strider whispers gently to Arwen, as he holds onto Frodo, steadying him atop the horse; small droplets of sweat dot his face as he argues with Arwen.

"Hon mabathon. Rochoh ellint im. (I'll take him. I'm the faster rider.)" Arwen argues back, Strider shaking his head in disapproval and argues, "Andelu I ven. (The road is too dangerous,)" before taking a hold of Arwen's hand in worry. A jolt of jealousy shoots through me as I notice him take Arwen, my little sister's, hand. Why do I feel jealous? Yes, I do have feelings for him, but I do not own Strider. I should not feel jealous if he simply takes her hand in his. I think to myself.

"What are they saying?" Pippin asks, confusion and puzzlement clearly written across his face as he stares at Strider and Arwen arguing back and forth in Elvish.The torchlight just barely lighting up Pippin's face, adding to his look of confusion.

"Shhh....they are arguing about who will ride with Frodo to Rivendell and about who is the faster rider Pippin." Ayleth answers him from her spot just behind Pippin and to Ellyn's left.

"Frodo fir. Ae anthradon I hir, tur gwaith nin beriatha hon. (If I can cross the river, the power of my people can protect him.)" Arwen banters back, "I do not fear them." She continues in the common tongue, looking deep into Strider's eyes, trying to convince him to let her go alone.

"Be iest lîn. (As you wish.)" Strider whispers to her, finally giving in to her words. She smiles slightly, giving Strider's hand a gentle squeeze, thanking him with her beautiful hazel colored eyes. Walking along side her stallion, she easily jumps up onto Asfaloth with only the grace of an Elf and slips into the saddle behind Frodo, who takes in a slow, wheezy breath, the sweat becoming more evident along his brow.

"Arwen, ride hard. Don't look back." Strider advises Arwen, the flames of Strider's long discarded torch burning on the ground over his right shoulder and the moonlight reflecting in his deep, sea blue eyes making him appear even more handsome than he already was.

Nodding, Arwen leans forward and urges to her horse in Elvish, "Noro lim, Asfaloth, Noro lim! (Ride fast, Asfaloth, ride fast!)" And soon Asfaloth, Arwen and Frodo go galloping out of the clearing and deep into the trees and the ferns at the speed that only Elvish horses were bred to run at.

"What are you doing!? Those Wraiths are still out there!" Sam yells at Strider as Strider worriedly stares after Arwen. The moonlight reflecting the worry and concern held in not only Sam's eyes, but of the eyes of Pippin and Merry behind him as they watch their injured friend being taken away into a forest filled with Wraiths; the moonlight also reflecting the worry and concern held in Strider's eyes, as well as Ayleth, Alys, Ellyn and my own eyes under our hoods as we all watch Arwen ride off into the night with Frodo.

"Thea! What are you doing!?" Alys shouts out, concerned as she suddenly sees me getting slowly and painfully onto Aerith, preparing to ride off after Arwen and grabbing the attention of the Hobbits as well as Strider and the others.

"I'm not letting Arwen ride to Rivendell alone with nine Wraiths behind her. It's too dangerous and I'm worried about her." I inform her, worry and concern for not only my little sister, but for Frodo as well clearly evident in my voice.

"What? No, Thea you cannot leave too!" Strider runs over, grabbing Aerith's reins from my hands before continuing to speak, "I cannot loose the both of you in one night." He whispers gently, looking up at me atop Aerith's saddle, emotions dancing in his gentle, blue eyes.

Touched by his words, I loosen up on the reins and a gentle smile creeps upon my face. Moving my left hand down along the reins I take Strider's hand in mine and give it a reassuring squeeze, just as Arwen had done moments before. "I am sorry, my dear friend. I wish I could stay here and journey to Rivendell with you and the others, but my heart aches to be with her right now, and so I must journey with her. I'll keep her and Frodo safe, I promise."

Understanding, Strider releases Aerith's reins and steps back, nodding his head in approval and allowing Aerith room to gallop by.

"Thea!" Ayleth calls, as she comes over to Aerith, taking Strider's former place. "You cannot leave. Not in the state that you are in. You might not make it." She whispers quietly, so that only Ellyn, Alys and I could hear.

"I must go. Even if I do not make it all the way, I must go and help her to the best of my abilities. No matter what state I may be in." I answer, determination evident in my words, and a new light shines in my eyes, a light of strength.

"*sigh* Very well. May the Valar protect you and keep you alive long enough to reach Rivendell." She blesses, before she backs away from Aerith as well.

"I will see you when you arrive in Rivendell. Farewell until than my friends." And with that Aerith gallops forward and within minutes we have caught up to Asfaloth, Arwen and Frodo.

"I knew it was you. It gives me great strength and courage knowing that I will have you to protect us during the ride back to Rivendell, dear sister." Arwen calls over to me, turning her head and smiling down at me. The moonlight outlining the left side of her face, giving her an angelic look while the moonlight highlights my own face underneath my hood and makes my blue eyes even more strikingly bright than they usually are, and my hair shines even more brightly in the moonlight, almost appearing white instead of blonde. I simply nod and smile towards my little sister before urging Aerith to go faster, Asfaloth soon following and picking up speed as well.

~~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~

Arwen, Asfaloth, Aerith and I had managed to travel a great distance during the night and it wasn't until about midday of our second day of riding, in the middle of a small forest that the Wraiths finally catch up to us. Hearing extra pairs of hooves over top of Aerith's and Asfaloth's, Arwen and I glanced back and around us and through the trees we were able to make out the shadows of nine other horses and of their riders. Thinking quickly, Arwen and I started to weave through the trees, Asfaloth and Arwen just ahead of Aerith and I. Coming out of a turn, Arwen and I cut off two Wraiths and quickly started to gallop forwards again, catching our cheeks on a protruding branch, a small line of blood trailing along our right cheeks as we continued to try and escape from the Wraiths.

Glancing behind us, Arwen and I realized just how close four of the Black Riders were getting to us and soon the other five Riders were right behind them as well. Taking a turn through a small group of trees, Asfaloth and Aerith were soon riding towards a more open part of the forest, the Wraiths quickly following us. The trees soon opened up into a plain and Arwen and I were soon riding almost right along side the Wraiths. One who was up closer to Arwen and Frodo reached out to grab Frodo; Arwen noticing quickly called out to Asfaloth, "Noro lim, Asfaloth. (Ride fast, Asfaloth.)" Asfaloth quickly picked up great speed and was soon galloping ahead of the Wraiths once more. Following suite, I pulled out my sword and swung at the Wraith who had tried to grab a hold of Frodo, pushing him back before I as well urged Aerith to speed up and we were soon right behind Asfaloth, Arwen and Frodo once again.

Within minutes we were back into the trees, and the Wraiths were getting angry. Swerving left through two close knit trees and than taking a sharp right and another sharp left to avoid running into the Nazgûl, the Nazgûl all gave out great, ear piercing shrieks, providing Arwen and I with the knowledge that they were getting increasingly angrier and frustrated with us and the game that we were playing with them. Doubling back to confuse the Nazgûl, Arwen and I were soon able to get out of the mess that we had gotten ourselves into during our little ride through the trees; Asfaloth jumping over a fallen log, and Aerith soon following, separating ourselves from the pursuing Wraiths as we traveled down a dirt covered path between a line of Evergreen trees that lead down towards the river that acted as the Rivendell border.

Crossing the river Bruinen and into Elvish territory, Arwen and I turned around and watched all nine Wraiths descend the slope and trot down to the waters edge before coming to a halt on the rocky shoreline; their steeds prancing in fear of the river. The screeches of the angered Wraiths soon reached our ears, and Asfaloth and Aerith moved about in the ankle deep river, droplets of water rising up with each step they took.

"Give up the halfing, She-Elves." The Witch King cries across the stream to us, his voice coming out deep and scratched, as if he hadn't used it in a very long time.

"If you want him, come and claim him." Arwen and I call back in a very threatening and defiant tone. Arwen soon draws her sword and raises it up in warning, showing the Wraiths that she was not afraid to fight for Frodo's life; raising my already previously drawn sword, I too made it known to the Wraiths that I would not let Frodo be taken without a fight as well. All nine Wraiths drew their swords in answer, and Asfaloth and Aerith rear up in the ankle deep river, showing a sense of bravery, as if they too would not let Frodo be taken so easily. As the Wraiths advance and start to make their way across the river, I nudge Aerith forward a bit so that I now stood in front of Arwen and Frodo, ready to protect them with my life, just as I had promised Strider. As the Nazgûl drew closer Arwen and I start to chant the words of an ancient spell, "Non o Chithaeglir, lasto Beth daer: Rimmo nin Briunen Dan in Ulaer! Nin o Chitaeglir, lasto Beth daer: Rimmo nin Bruinen Dan in Ulaer! (Waters of the Misty Mountains, listen to the great word: flow waters of Loudwater, against the Ringwraiths!)"

When we finish speaking, the ground starts to rumble and the waters of the Bruinen river starts to rise. Frodo raises his head weakly and Arwen and I snap our heads to the right as we suddenly hear a deafening roar coming from around the bend. Suddenly a wall of water comes flying around the bend and as it starts to come closer, the water starts to change form and it begins to take the form of horses. The river continues to rush towards us, Asfaloth and Aerith back up towards the mountain wall while the Wraiths and their steeds foolishly turn tail and try to outrun the river. However, their plan to outrun the river fails, and soon the water horses overtake the Black Riders and washes them away down river.

As the water level starts to return back to normal, Frodo suddenly begins to gasp and struggle for air and Arwen has no choice but to jump down off of Asfaloth and place Frodo along the rocky shore, hoping that he'll be able to breathe better laying down. I quickly follow and jump down off of Aerith and rush to Frodo's left side, and look down into his blue , fog covered eyes, watching him closely as his body struggles against the poison coursing through his veins. The adrenaline rush starting to fade, weakness once again seeps into my bones and my eyes begin to loose their brightness.

"No, no Frodo, no! Don't give in, not now!" Arwen begs Frodo as fear begins to seep into her voice, shaking him slightly as if that will help to keep him conscious. However, the light slowly leaves Frodo eyes, and his chest stops rising and falling as he succumbs to the poison in his wound. Arwen, noticing that Frodo has gone, takes Frodo into her arms and pulls his body into hers, tears slowly leaking from her bright blues eyes and slowly cascading down her beautiful face; the blood now dried along her right cheek from where the tree branch had cut into her flesh.

Realizing what Arwen was about to do, I take Frodo from her, look into her saddened eyes and say, "No, do not do that. Do not give up your life for him. I'll do it. Ada will be less furious with me if I do it." Pulling Frodo into my body, I rock back and forth with him in my arms, the sound of the river Bruinen flowing softly over the rocks behind us. I close my eyes and with tears slowly sliding down my own face and over the cut that I had received from the same branch, I quietly say, "What grace is given me, let it pass to him. Let him be spared. Save him."

Everything soon starts to feel different. I feel a slight tingle shoot through my body as I feel the life of grace leave my body and I can feel it flow into Frodo's body, just as I can feel Frodo start to breathe again, his little chest rising and falling softly as air once again flows in and out of his lungs and as life once again flows through his veins once more. Almost all of my energy is now gone, the light in my eyes has almost completely disappeared, my skin no longer glows an Elven, radiant glow; weakness is slowly consuming me.

Arwen quickly calls to both Asfaloth and Aerith and as we switch places, with Frodo now riding with me on Aerith and Arwen riding alone on Asfaloth, we continue to make our way into Rivendell. Galloping along the trail that runs alongside the mountains and through the beautiful forest whose leaves are already starting to turn red, yellow and orange in the early fall weather, and along the other pathway which leads over the beautiful cascading waterfalls of Rivendell we finally come to the end of our journey and hop off of Asfaloth and Aerith and onto the stone pathway. Turning around after glancing at my beautiful home that I haven't stepped foot in in over fifty years, I take Frodo off of Aerith's saddle and carry him with my remaining strength in my arms through the halls of Rivendell with Arwen following right behind me; sweat heavily dancing across my forehead, and blood slowly starting to seep through my dark green/black cloak. Running through the halls, Arwen's and my voices ring off of the beautiful stone walls as we call to Ada. Soon we see him come running down the yellow and red leaf covered hallway, no doubt running to us from his study; I inform him of the situation currently at hand and currently most important, "Ada, this is Frodo Baggins of the Shire. He was stabbed in the shoulder at Weathertop by a Morgul blade from the Witch King. He desperately needs your healing skills or else he will die."

"Yes, yes my dear child I know who it is you carry. Follow me, we will take him to the healing rooms and I will start to heal him right away." Ada informs me as he turns around and quickly walks in the direction of the healing rooms, Arwen and I following right behind him with the small Hobbit still clutched closely to my body in my arms. Once we reach the rooms, I place Frodo down on a plush, white sheeted bed, his little head resting right in the middle of a soft feather filled beige colored pillow. Ada wasted no time and as soon as I stepped away from the now comfortable Hobbit, he sets to work on healing Frodo's wound, murmuring to him in Elvish, "Lasto beth nîn. Tolo dan na ngalad. (Hear my voice. Come back to the light.)"

Arwen and I soon left the healing rooms, leaving Ada to care for Frodo. As we walk down the hallways, just peacefully taking in the beautiful images of our home, my eyesight starts to fail. Blackness is creeping into my vision, my hands and feet start to grow numb and cold, everything becomes blurry. One moment I am walking with my sister down the hallways of our home, the next I am laying on the cold, stone ground, unconscious, no longer hearing the terrified cries of my sister as she runs to my side and calls out for help. "Vanya! Someone! Please! Someone help me! Vanya!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, I know, it has been a very long time since I have last posted a story, but here is the fourth installment and hopefully all of you readers are enjoying the series so far. I'm hoping to get another one out soon! Enjoy! =)