Sequel: Deceptive in Truth

Honest in Lies

10

They didn’t hold hands but didn’t act like strangers around each other. They walked modestly close, their arms brushing occasionally over the other. They walked in silence, until Candy spoke up. “How’d you get that scar on your face?”

He didn’t stop walking, so neither did she. “When I was a young boy, still human mind you.” He paused, blinking as they continued. “I was…mauled. The scar’s really the only thing I have from my human life. I would have died if my father had not come along and changed me.” he quieted.

Candy turned to look at him. “What?”

“Nothing. Just the fact that I would have died unless he hadn’t stumbled across me. it’s…it’s unsettling for me to deal with the fact that my life could have so easily ended, and hung so limply in someone else’s hands.” They had stopped, turned to each other so that she could see his furrowed eyebrows.

“Kind of like the situation we’re in?” she replied timidly, eyes never leaving his.

His hand cupped her face, his expression painful. His hand swept away loose hair that had fallen in her face while walking. “Yes. But it’s different with us. Know why?”

“Why?”

“Because I’m not going to let a single thing hurt you.” His face was contorted in a mixture of pain and frustration. “Not a single thing.” He met her eyes, holding her stare.

Candy felt herself blushing but only moved slowly into his arms. It felt right just to be still in his arms, neither one of them wanting to break the embrace. “Why were you on my property when I found you?”

“I told you, I was fighting a werewolf.”

“But why…why near where I lived?”

“If I got to choose how I died one day…I’d want to die falling into the ocean,” she looked up to find his eyes cast out to the ocean once again. “It’s peaceful, serene but so temperamental, and untamed. Nobody can command it; it’s natural and forever existing. I would want to die floating on its waves.” Candy kept her eyes on him, until he turned to look down on her. “What?”

“You’re beautiful and you don’t even need to sparkle.” was her retort with a small smile.
“There are a lot of things that separate me from that fairy,” he chortled. “I have fangs, drink human flesh and blood…don’t tell the people I love what to do…and I don’t doubt a lover either. I don’t tell her what to think, or leave her broken.”

This was new. “Who’s this ‘her’?”

He looked down at her as if she had grown a second head. “Why, Candy, you baffle me with your naiveté’s to this. You are her.”

Candy smiled softly, before nestling her head into his chest, holding onto him. “Then make me one of you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
kind of short, but the next one will be really long.