Sequel: Deceptive in Truth

Honest in Lies

15

She couldn’t remember when she had woken up, or when she had drifted downstairs. But now Candy was sitting on a stool in the kitchen, sipping a hot cup of coffee when her cell phone rang. “Hello?” she whispered.

“Candy?” it was Jesse.

“Yeah, what’s up?” she said sighing softly.

“How you been? I mean…after everything.”

She paused, licking her lower lip out of routine. Could she trust Jesse with a secret she didn’t even know she could trust herself with? “I’ve been dealing. Really not trying to think about it, and keep myself occupied,” she swallowed as she felt a cool chill run throughout her. “You?”

“I wasn’t the one who tripped over a dead body Candy, but I’m fine. I was thinking we could go out for a nice lunch, just the two of us.”

“For what publicity?” it was a stunt that they pulled regularly, a stunt that she pulled with whoever she was working with really.

“No, but I guess we can’t avoid that, huh? I really want to get to know you Candy. I mean, I’ve never met someone like you. And plus it wouldn’t even be publicity anymore because they cancelled filming. The movies off.”

Her heart dropped instantly; not at his subtle dropping of devotional longing for her, but the fact that the movie was done. “What do you mean it’s cancelled?”

He paused, a sigh coming from his line. Probably because she had ignored his professed love. “It’s gone. The cops have gone into a full on investigation trying to find whoever did this. They’ve got one lead.”

She faked praise. “Really? That’s good.”

“No, not really. There’s this guy, his name is Gaspard Blackstone. Get this, he was born in 1890, and died in 1910 at the age of twenty. The thing is Candy, he died of a bite to the neck too,” her eyes flickered as Gaspard moved slowly into the kitchen. “But they never had a burial for him, because his body was never seen after they performed an autopsy. Never found his body again.”

Candy let her eyes rise to Gaspard, who was staring at her intently. “Did he have any other family?”

“Yeah. Piera Blackstone, who died of suffocation, get this, she never had a funeral too, no body. There really wasn’t any reference to their parents, besides the fact that they died mysteriously when the siblings were little.”

She nodded, as her eyes stayed on Gaspard. “Interesting. Well, I’m going to go. It was nice talking to you Jesse. You’ve defiantly made my day.” She murmured.

“Wait, what about the lunch date?”

“We’ll have to make some sort of a rain check. I’m feeling slightly underneath the weather.”

“Well, I suppose your badgering questions and voice volume is going to be projected.” His eyes closed sleepily. “So have at it love.”

“How did Jesse Bastian of all people know about your family past, when there was no way possible that he had any means to get those through old records?” she asked simply, toying with the phone in her hand.

His eyes flashed with abrupt anger before they seemed to calm. “Come again?”

“Jesse Bastian, my co-star. He said he dug the police identified your fingerprints to your name, and he went on about how you died and how your sister died.”

His lips pulled back over his teeth to reveal those horrid fangs he had shown her their first day together. His whole face construed in anger as something seemed to come back to him. “That’s because he was the one who killed her.” His face went lucid, but barely. “Piera!” his voice was above a normal volume, a call.

The beautiful vampiress walked through the door a few moments later; her cheeks flushed. “Yes Pardy?” she looked over to Candy with a delightful gleam in her eye. “Have you two finally finished up?”

Candy’s eyes widened as well as a blush crawling into her cheeks. It was Gaspard though, who finally caught the situation by the reign. “Guess who’s showing his snout again?”

“Who?”

“Jesse Bastian.”

Candy turned to look at Piera, who had frozen as well. Her skin went from a blushing pink to a parchment white. Her jaw hung slightly slacked, before snapping up after a few moments passed. “It’s rude to play such cruel games Gaspard.” There was a heavily accented French accent she hadn’t even caught onto.

“I’m not playing games, little Cheri. He’s back. He’s been back. He’s been right under our noses.”

“How?”

He nodded to Candy. “Ask her.”

Piera turned with an animalistic look in her eyes. “Is this true?”

She nodded her head quickly. “He was my co-star in the movie we were working on before…before you guys came in. and he…he just called saying he knew who’s fingerprints were on the girl,” her eyes flickered to Gaspard again, before casting down. “He said he knew how Gaspard died and how you died.”

Her face turned downward in disgust, before a loud cracking of bones came from her. “Well then, brother, looks like the games back on. And don’t you dare try to take away my fun this time.”

“Wait, what is he?”

“Werewolf.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?