Sequel: Deceptive in Truth

Honest in Lies

16

“There’s no possible way,” she hissed through her teeth, somehow paralyzed by the statement. “He can’t be a werewolf.” She was looking between the siblings, trying to find some sick joke.

“Piera, go get your locket.” Gaspard said harshly.

She looked at her brother with a look of defiance and anger that he had spoken to her like that. Candy was half expecting a fight of either verbal or physical abuse. She sighed dramatically before skipping off like the little child she appeared to be.

And then Gaspard was on her; not in the sexual context either. His arms were gripping her shoulders, nails beginning to bite into her skin. His eyes were on fire with anger, and they he spoke frightened her as well. “Did he hurt you?”

“Ow, Gaspard you’re hurting me,” she said trying to fight him.

“Did he hurt you Candy? Did he try anything?” his voice was a growl now.

“Ow! Gaspard stop, you’re hurting me!” she shrieked again, tears brimming her eyes as his grip hardened.

Finally he stopped to look at her, his eyes wide and shocked. Gaspard’s eyes darted to his hands before he released her like a lock springing. He furrowed his eyebrows, running his hand over his forehead. “I’m sorry Candy…I….I’m so sorry.” He looked down.

“What’s wrong with you?” she whispered her voice still shaky.

“I don’t want to see you get hurt.” He looked up at her, fighting a battle in his eyes. “But I guess I am.”

Candy closed her eyes slowly, arms crossed. She could feel the indentations he had left. It sent a shiver through her, but she couldn’t explain her next move. “Come here,” she said softly. Gaspard made no effort to move to her, so she decided to move to him. Her arms wrapped around his neck and shoulders, hugging him tightly. “It was an accident. I know you never meant to lose your temper. It’s something we’re going to have to work on. Along with me getting taught how to fight. But Gaspard, people make mistakes and you can’t hate yourself because of it.” Her words were whispered in his ear.

Slowly, his hands wrapped around her waist, tenderly. “I suppose. I’m just…worried that one day I’ll lose my temper and end up hurting you.”

Then, Piera bounced back in the room, stopping abruptly as she saw them. Her throat cleared as she dangled a large, oval locket in front of her. “Here’s the ratty thing. I always knew I carried it around for some reason.” She tossed it to them, which Gaspard caught with ease.

He popped it open, holding it for Candy to see. There was a picture of Piera looking perfectly the same, as well as Jesse too. “There he is, the dirty mutt.”

“Pardy, no need to play dirty. Needn’t worry about the past, but rather the future,” Piera said in a singsong voice before turning to Candy. “We have more important matters, like, say biting.”

Both of them turned to look at Piera. “What?”

She looked down at her nails. “Did I stutter? I think not.”

“Piera, you’re speaking out of line.” Gaspard mumbled.

“No,” Candy said, holding her hand on his chest. “Let her finish.”

“Thank you Candy,” she said sweetly. “If we change Candy now, she’ll be able to defend herself against Jesse. You won’t have to have those silly body guards stalk her perimeters. And you’ll be able to have the hottest and roughest sex without having to worry about breaking her pretty little neck.” Her face tilted at her statement. “And we could all live happily ever after.”

Candy looked to Gaspard. Gaspard looked to Candy. “I can’t do it,” he whispered.

“But I can.” Piera said flatly. “Gaspard, you love her. I can see it in your eyes. I can see how it kills you when she’s hurting. I saw you after the werewolf attack. If we change her, you won’t have to see that pain.”

“She has a point Gaspard. I wouldn’t be a liability if I was changed.”

“But you don’t understand! You can’t be changed! You have a life that’s worth living! You have a family at home. A dad, mom, sister brother, aunt, uncle, cousin! You can’t leave them!”

“But I don’t want to lose them by dying, for good. And I’d lose you too, if I died. This is a safe and reassuring way to keep me alive.”

“You don’t want to be an animal,” he said coldly.

“I want to be with you though.”

It was the last statement before a pack of werewolves burst through the forest clearing.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?