Sequel: Deceptive in Truth

Honest in Lies

20

It still felt like there were spiders in her veins several hours later. Piera hadn’t left her side or Gaspard when they arrived back. All she felt like she could do was lay there and stare at the ceiling. “How long does it last?” she asked quietly.

“For awhile,” Piera said soothingly, patting back her sweat matted hair. “But it’ll get less unbearable.”

She nodded, swallowing. “I’m dying?”

“Yes, and I’m so sorry.” Gaspard said, holding her hand.

Candy didn’t say anything, but felt a new coat of sweat wash over. So this was what dying felt like. She’d already felt her bladder die, because she hadn’t felt the need to pee in forever. What would stop working next? Her lungs? Did vampires/werewolves need oxygen? “What’ll I keep?” she whispered.

“You’re heartbeat.” Piera answered. “You’re still partially human, but that’s all you’ll keep. Nothing else will be necessary for your existence.”

“What are we called?”

“Pardy likes to call his mutts,” he winced at the term now. “But our ‘official’ terminology is nox noctis canis which means night dog.” She said it simply. “We get the cool names.”

She smirked softly, but coughed. “Awesome, I’ve always wanted a cool name.”

Gaspard kissed her hand softly. “I’m sorry this is happening, I should have known better.”

She shook her head, chiding him weakly. “I would have forced you too anyways. I couldn’t see you in pain either,” she pursed her lips. “I’m a big girl, I can handle a little pain.” She looked up to him with tired eyes. “People do things for those they love,” with much effort she squeezed his hand.

“So you’re saying you love me now?” he asked, smiling softly.

“Somewhat,” she chuckled, before going into a f it of coughs. She rolled her head to Piera. “And you,”

“What?” she blinked.

“You and Charles. Why?”

Her face went hard. “What do you mean why?”

“Don’t you see how much he’s hurting?” she had to speak in pauses because of the short coming of her breath. She was losing her oxygen, losing the use of her lungs. “He is still in love with you; he has loved you ever since he met you.”

Her nose tilted upwards along with her chin. “How do you know?”

“He told me,” she coughed again, squeezing her eyes shut. It was then that she felt her need for oxygen stop. She stopped breathing; didn’t inhale or exhale anymore. She was dead. “He misses you.”

She said nothing but collapsed back on her heels. Gaspard but his hand on her stomach. “She’s died.”

Candy smiled softly, trying to hide her fear. “Dead, but not dead.” She said softly.

Gaspard smiled down at her. “How’s the view?”

Blinking several times, she saw indeed how her vision had changed; as well as several other senses. Gaspard’s face had so many points and sharp edges; and she could see clearly his pores. The flecks in his eyes, and each individual lash. She could hear the others talking outside, in a low whisper. Smell the fresh pine trees off a way. This was what it was like to be one of them. It was beautiful. “You’re amazing,” she said lowly, her hand tracing along his cheekbone. She could feel it clearly though it was somewhat hidden by a little bit of cheek fat.

He chuckled. “Thank you.”

“Is this what it was like for you? When you first saw me?”

He nodded slowly, kissing her fingertips. “That and so much more.”

Theo burst through the door, an arrow sticking through his chest. “Human hunters. Here . Jesse must have warned humans about us and they followed us. They’re here, hundreds.”

Piera yanked Candy up, dusting her shoulders off in mockery. “Looks like we get to see what you’re made of sooner than we thought.”

Normally, she would have been nervous, even scared of herself. But not now. Now, she had a power surging through her. Candy didn’t care if she took lives, she just wanted to let loose of this energy, and wanted to prove she could handle this. She would.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?