Sequel: Deceptive in Truth

Honest in Lies

22

Every so often her joints would pop as they protested. Maybe the whole shifting hadn’t been her best thought plan. Candy could still taste flesh between her teeth. There was no subtle way to remove the human meat, so she just let it be, until she thought no one would be looking and tried to pick it out. The burning had burned down to ashes, and they had to walk.

Piera and Gaspard had booked a flight to Lyon, France; their home time. The epitome of vampires, the mother land. She sat next to him on the plane, staring out the slotted window. She would be lying if she said she wasn’t nervous. If Gaspard had resented Piera with even the slightest amount and they were related, she could only imagine what it was like around strangers.

Gaspard seemed to sense her nerves and squeezed her hand reassuringly. “They’ll love you.”

“No, they won’t. If you look at Piera with such animosity, they will look at me like that too.” She turned back to looking out the window.

He lowered his voice. “What do you mean animosity? I love my sister more than anything, she was there for me when no one else was.” His voice came out in a hiss.

“So why do you look at her with that slant in your eye like she’s lower than you?” her head wound around to look at him square in the eye. “You say you love me, who’s to say one day you won’t look at me like that?” there was hurt even in her eyes and voice, but double the amount in his.

“How can you say that?” he looked at her, sadness in his eyes. “I will love you till the day that I die Candy. For you to doubt that I would treat you differently is atrocious and makes me think you don’t want the same thing.”

She turned again in her seat, facing him fully now. “For your information, I have not ever said I love you to guy, you were my first. So for you to sit there and say that I don’t want the same thing, is appalling.” She leaned in so that her face was close to his. “I saved your life, I gave you mine. Don’t tell me that isn’t love.”

The quarrel ended there. Candy crossed her arms and legs and slowly wafted off to sleep. She woke up to darkness, and the captain announcing they were landing. They were here; in Lyon. As soon as her feet stepped from the last stair, her nose was overwhelmed with the smell of vampires.

Candy could spot them out of a group of humans. Just the way their eyes moved slowly and swiftly to different places. There was a certain essence about them, the way they carried themselves; with such confidence (almost arrogance in her opinion) that was covered in sheer beauty. They knew it too. And when those perfectly colored eyes washed over her; their noses turned up in disgust. Clenching her jaw, she kept her chin high and strode forward, into an awaiting car.

“Well if that wasn’t the most humiliating thing I’ve ever had to done I don’t know what is.”

“It’s always rough the first time,” Piera said softly. “But after awhile they get used to it.”

They drove far, to a home off in the rural. It was large and made of old bricks, stretching several large mansions wide and two stories tall. She kept her mouth quiet, and her thoughts to herself. There were two more elderly people standing outside, arms crossed; portraying the perfect family. They were vampires.

The car stopped and the group piled off. The first thing the woman; adorned in pearls and pastels did was embrace her. The scent of perfume was almost as overwhelming as her vampire smell. “Hello! You must be Candy! I’m Eloise, Gaspard and Piera’s mother.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? kind of short.
that's cool the subscriber who left me.
real cool.