Paradise

01/01

It'd been eight months since Sam said yes to Lucifer and fell into the pit. Of course God saved him, leaving him a ghost, but he couldn't go to Dean and tell him he was with them. His brother deserved some happiness after all the bullshit he'd been put through since their mom died.

As it was, Sam was standing outside of a large remodeled church, home to his brother and what would've been his family. He watched them through the back window of the kitchen while Reilly cooked dinner, her back to him and Dean helping her son, hers and Sam's son with his kindergarten homework.

Take me down to the Paradise City
where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
oh won't you please take me home


She turned to the window, her straight, black hair falling across one shoulder to off-set her white t-shirt and olive skin. She stared out the window for a long moment, as if she saw him. He knew she didn't, she had no reason to believe he was still alive. He could see it in her eyes that she thought he was truly dead, her eyes had lost their sparkle and now just held a dull, dead sadness. Even with her eyes that way he thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world and he wished he could be in his paradise, that home, with her.

She finally turned away and plated the food, setting two plates in front of the men and two more for his brother's fiancée and herself. They all sat and held hands while they gave thanks to Gaia and Ouranos, the olympianist's chief deities that Katt and Reilly both worshipped.

He touched the leather bracelet with the white and blue beads, the very one given to him by Reilly herself as protection.

Sam finally dragged himself away before he did something foolish like run in and tell them all he was alive. He couldn't do that to them, to Reilly who had her heart broken enough by him already. He certainly couldn't do that to Sammy, their son. He'd just stopped having nightmares about Sam, and the Winchester Sam knew because he'd been outside listening to him scream in his sleep and cry as the three adults soothed him.

He slid down into a manhole near the home and started off for the cave-like dwelling he inhabited. He didn't want to draw attention to himself, so he lived below ground, it sucked being a ghost people could see. No one would check there though, and no one sure as hell would say that they saw a ghost walking around in a sewer.

He hated having to be away from them, he'd promised Reilly that he'd always come back to her this time. He professed his love and he didn't want to let her down. But he'd always been that way with her, he'd always ended up letting her down. He'd made love to her one night when they were twenty and rather than tell her that he was in love with her and stayed at her side, he went off to Stanford and hooked up with Jessica, leaving his true love to raise their child without even a hint that he'd been born in the first place.

take me down to the Paradise City
where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
oh won't you please take me home?


It was the one year anniversary of his supposed death, Reilly, Katt, and Dean brought Sammy to put roses on the empty space where Sam had fallen into the pit to save them all from Lucifer and the end of the world. He sacrificed himself for all of them and no one faulted him for it. He was the single most amazing man Reilly had ever seen.

She stood there, looking at the flowers that clashed with the brown grass on the space where Sam rested, she hoped he rested in peace and wasn't being tortured for what he'd done. She shook her head and scooped up Sammy, the five year old image of her love, holding him tightly as she fought against tears.

Katt stood there beside her, not saying anything. Katt, or Katherine, Reilly's cousin and more-or-less sister wasn't a crier. In fact, she'd only cried a handful of times in her life, one of them being when John Winchester fought himself out of Hell and saved them all from Yellow Eyes. Still though, when she saw the spot where Sam died and saw how crushed Reilly was just being so close to it she felt a few tears fall, wiping them away before she could be seen sporting them.

Dean had wanted to say something about his younger brother, a nice phrase or two about how much he loved him and how he was proud of him for what he'd done, but when they'd gotten to the graveyard he choked. He couldn't even open his mouth to call him a bastard for leaving them all that way.

They all turned to leave when they heard, and felt, a rumbling. It felt like the beginnings of an earthquake and it seemed to be centered in the area of the pit.

Reilly almost tossed Sammy to her cousin and pulled out her 9mm, holding it aimed at the ground. She shouted for Dean and Katt to run, get back to the GTO and head away from the cemetery.

Unfortunately Dean stayed and Katt, highly pissed off, ran to get Sammy to safety.

She made it about five feet from Reilly's deceased brother's car before there was a blinding white light all around them and a crack, like thunder.

Reilly and Dean pulled themselves up off the ground quickly, their guns aimed at the pit's location, only there was a body there. A very long body curled into the fetal position wearing jeans and a familiar jacket.

Reilly recognized who it was immediately and crawled over despite the screams and protests of the other two adults telling her it could be Lucifer, looking down at Sam Winchester.

He looked up at her a little dazed at first, but finally realization dawned and he grabbed her, pulling her into a kiss.

She clung to him like a life raft, tears sliding down her face in a constant stream. She sat back to look at him, but he was tackled by Sammy, who'd escaped Katt's clutches through wily means.

'Take me down to the Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty' Was the first thing that Sam thought when he saw his family in the flesh, his own flesh. He'd never been a fan of mullet rock, what with Dean pumping it non-stop in the Impala the many years they were on the road, but that song had never rung true until now. “Oh won't you please take me home?” He finished aloud, standing and walking over to embrace Dean and Katt respectively.

On the drive back to Ohio where they would all live (in the remodeled church that would eventually become the private investigation firm run by the Winchester families and a safe haven for any weary hunter, as well as the HQ for odd hunting jobs they each took), Sam sat in the back of the pitch black GTO with Sammy in his lap and Reilly's head on his shoulder as they both slept and Katt drove.

Dean's face was pressed against the glass of the passenger seat as he also took a nap, his mouth hanging open a little and drool sticking to the window.

He closed his own eyes and raised his head toward the sky. 'Thank you God, Gaia, and Ouranos for giving me this paradise. I promise not to disappoint you.' He thought to them.