Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

One

Driving through the streets of Huntington Beach,the top down on his 1964 Cascade green Mustang convertible, Brian Haner Jr realised then just how good it was to be home. He may have just returned from a ten day vacation in Mexico, but for Brian, there really was nowhere like Surf City. It was where he had been born and raised, he had friends that he couldn't even imagine life without, a job with the city's fire department that he found both fulfilling and rewarding, and was in a relationship that was...well that was the problem, Brian didn't quite know what to make of his relationship right now. He and Clayre had been together since high school, having become an item when they were merely sixteen years old. Well, that technically wasn't quite the full story. They had split up on more than one occasion during the past twelve years, sometimes for a few weeks, other occasions for a few months. Yet, they always seemed to find themselves drawn each other again, and would once more begin the cycle that had become so commonplace in their relationship.

However, after having spent ten days with her in an environment where he hadn't had the luxury of being able to escape to the safe havens such as his friends or job, Brian was now beginning to sense that maybe this particular cycle was coming to an end. There was also a part of him that believed that maybe this cycle would be the last. After seeing a side of Clayre that he had strived to ignore over the years out in such full force, Brian was finally beginning to fathom out that they could no longer continue like this.

Coming to a halt on Beach Boulevard, Brian switched off the sweet sounds of John Petrucci working his six stringed magic and got out of the Mustang. Opening the door of Guitar Guy, the music store owned by his father, Brian's thin lips curved into the first genuine smile of the day. His dark brown eyes took in his surroundings. The walls lined with guitars, other instruments strategically placed around the store. The racks of cd's and what appeared to be a new extension of the book and magazine section. Brian strode towards the counter, ignoring the giggles of two young girls who stood rifling through the rock section of discs, all the while eyeing the young man who had just entered the store. 

Seeing no sign of his father, Brian leaned on the counter.

"Pop?" he yelled, waiting a moment for some form of response. 

Just as Brian was considering going in search of his father, the head of Brian Haner Sr appeared from behind the door that led out to the back of the store.

"Hey son!" the older man greeted cheerfully. "Welcome home."

Stepping behind the counter, Brian and his father exchanged a manly embrace.

"So, how was Mexico?" Brian Sr asked.

Brian chuckled to himself as he hoisted himself up to sit on the side of the counter that was never used by customers.

"Mexico was great, Clayre on the other hand was a fucking grade A nightmare," he admitted with a sigh, watching on as his father served the two young girls who were still unable to keep their eyes off of him. Feeling a little awkward under their gaze, Brian picked up a guitar catalog that sat next to him and flicked through the pages.

Thanking them for their custom, Brian's father returned his attention to his son, sensing his discomfort.

"Can imagine Clayre would have had something to say if she'd seen them eyeing you like that," he joked, remembering times gone by when Brian had found himself highly embarrassed by Clayre's public rantings about how he always managed to attract female attention, whether she was with him or not. His son did nothing to encourage it, he had quite simply been blessed with the good genes of the Haner family.

"Don't," Brian mumbled, placing the catalog back on the counter. 

"Was she really that bad whilst you were away?" his father questioned.

With another sigh, Brian explained just how Clayre had been for the entire ten days they had been away, that how even though he'd always known that she was self-absorbed, he had always chosen to overlook it because he loved her. However, during their time away, it had slowly began to dawn on Brian that maybe the depth of his feelings were not as strong as he had first believed, that he was still with Clayre because it was familiar and safe. During the times when they had been apart, Brian had always been on dates, and had even been known to have the occasional one night stand, but deep down, he craved a stability, and Clayre was the one he had always turned to when that desire arose within him. Now, he was almost certain that whilst he still wanted that, Clayre was no longer the one he wanted to share that with.

"Son, I can guarantee that if you end it now, a few months down the line you'll be knocking on her door again," his father stated with a grin.

Brian shook his head.

"Not this time dad, I think I've finally reached the end of the line."

Not wanting to think about it anymore, Brian cast an eye round the store.

"What's with all the new books and shit?" he asked.

Brian Sr smiled warmly.

"That would be down to my assistant, who has been an absolute godsend," he stated happily. "She made a few suggestions, and they've proved very popular."

Brian raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"New assistant? Since when?" he questioned.

'I hired the day you flew out on vacation, you knew I was looking for someone to help out. She's only part time, but she's been a blessing."

The door at the back opened, interupting the conversation between father and son.

"Mr. Haner, I got all the invoices sorted and will mail them on my way home, and I've...oh sorry, I didn't mean to interupt."

The soft voice that greeted Brian's ears was enough to make him turn. Standing with a handful of envelopes, whilst trying to find something in her purse was a young woman, who Brian figured to be around his age. He couldn't prevent himself from raking his dark eyes over her appearance. The jeans and green and white plaid shirt she wore clung to her slender frame perfectly, her dark brown hair pulled back in a messy bun, showing off her lightly tanned complexion, her face devoid of any cosmetics, but from where Brian sat they would have been an unnecessary blemish on her. He cast his gaze downwards, noting the subtle silver nail polish that adorned her toenails, visible thanks to the shoes she wore. As he let his eyes wander back up to her face, he noticed how her soft pink lips wore an embarrassed smile, making him aware that she felt somewhat uncomfortable under his scrutiny.

"No need for apologies sweetheart. Brian, this is my new partner in crime, Beth....Beth, my son Brian, but then you already know that," Brian's father stated with a grin.

The woman Brian now knew as Beth gave a polite nod and smile. There was something eerily familiar about her, yet Brian couldn't quite place exactly what it was.

"Hey Beth," he greeted casually. "Good to meet you."

"And you," Beth answered somewhat cautiously. "I hate to cut and run, but I really have to be somewhere,: she added.

"Of course sweetheart, I'll see you in the morning," Brian Sr called after her as she hurried out the door with a smile and a wave.

Brian couldn't help but stare after her, his eyes widening as it finally hit him. He quickly turned back to face his father.

"Fuck!" he cursed quietly. "Was that Beth Cooperman, the girl who married Colby Hudson straight outta high school then headed off to Texas?" he questioned.

"The very same," his father assured him.

"Damn!" Brian exclaimed with a whistle. "I mean, I didn't really know her that well, she was kinda quiet in school, but I always thought she was pretty, and could see why Colby fell for her, although I could never quite understand what she saw in that meat headed jock. But it has to be said, she has grown into a fine looking woman! I bet she has some real problems with Colby now, because guys must be checking her out all the damn time," Brian sumised.

"Like yourself?" his father pointed out.

"Guilty as charged," Brian admitted with a smirk. "So when did she skip back into town?"

" A couple of months ago. She's been doing some temping work, but needed something a little more permanent. And I don't know if you managed to take your eyes off of her for long enough to notice something....no wedding ring." 

Brian looked at his father and shrugged.

"Doesn't mean a thing these days," he countered.

"It might, seeings as she's gone back to using her maiden name," his father informed him. 

Brian studied his father for a moment, realising that the man knew more than he was letting on, but that pushing him for information wouldn't work. Whatever his father knew was between him and Beth, and his father would keep it that way. But that didn't mean Brian wouldn't find out eventually, there had to be rumors somewhere on the Huntington Beach grapevine.

After spending another couple of hours at the store, Brian walked in through his front door to be greeted by an unusual silence. He knew Clayre wasn't at work, she wasn't due back at the hair salon where she worked as a receptionist a few hours a week until Monday. Figuring she had to be around somewhere, he bounded up the stairs.

"Clayre?" he called out.

"Bedroom!" 

Brian pushed the door that was halfway closed to find Clayre sitting at the vanity table applying a coat of eyeliner to her top lid. Her blond hair fell in subtle waves around her face, the white camisole she wore showing off her deeply tanned skin. Brian could never deny that his girlfriend was beautiful, it was just becoming more blatantly obvious that her beauty didn't seep below the skin.

"Going somewhere?" he asked, pretty sure that she wasn't meant to be going out until the following evening.

"Yes we are, we're going to my parents for dinner," Clayre informed him, smiling at him from the mirror as he moved behind her and sat on the bed.

"Well you'll be going alone, you know I already made plans to meet with Matt and Jimmy later on," he reminded her gently.

"You can go tomorrow, mom and dad are expecting us."

Brian sighed deeply.

"I can't go tomorrow, I'm working on Sunday."

Clayre turned on the stool, her blue eyes boring into him.

"Er, since when?" she asked a little haughtily.

Frowning, Brian shook his head, wondering if she was really that oblivious to everything else that went on around her.

"Clayre, you were right there next to me when the chief called this morning to ask if I could go in to cover for Scotty. I even checked with you to make sure we had no plans," he told her in a hushed tone, not wanting to get into another fight right now.

"Well, I'm sorry Brian, but I have made these arrangements for us, and we're going, that's the end of it. Dad is going to speak to you about trading in those two heaps you have sitting out front for something a little more modern. I spoke to him about it earlier, he's already earmarked a few cars he has at the lot that he thinks would be more suited to you."

Brian could feel the anger starting to bubble up within him, but fought to keep it under control. Aside from the convertible, Brian also owned a 1965 Mustang Fastback,. both of which he had loving restored over the years. They were his pride and joy, and parting with them was something he couldn't even consider. 

"Now, go take a shower and get ready, I told them we'd be there at six," Clayre announced. 

Brian remained sitting on the bed, just staring at her.

"Brian! Move! I haven't had the oppurtunity to see my parents like you have."

"You've had all day," he answered quietly.

"Yes, but because you went swanning off to see your dad, I've had to leave it until tonight so that we can get the ball rolling on getting those cars gone. So shower, please sweetie," she added with a sickening smile.

"I can't do this," Brian muttered, standing up and making for the door.

"Brian? Where do you think you're going?"

"I've just spent ten days listening to and putting up with your self-absorbed shit, I need a fucking break," he answered, slamming the door behind him as he left.