Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

Thirteen

Beth watched Dominic hurriedly make some notes on his legal pad as they sat opposite one another at her parent’s dining table. It was Saturday morning, and after a week of deliberation and decision making, Beth had called Dominic to make an appointment. He had offered to drop by her parent‘s home, claiming that if they worked away from the office, he wouldn’t feel the need to charge her. Beth had worried that people might view it as her getting specialist treatment, due to how far the friendship went back between him and her father, but she had conceded that it would make her life a little easier, for which she was grateful.

Three weeks had gone by, and there still hadn’t been any word from Colby’s attorney that he had applied for custody of Nate. To some, it would seem that his words had been an empty threat, but Beth couldn’t rid herself of the nagging doubt that he was just biding his time, waiting to strike when she least expected it. So after several lengthy conversations with Brian and her mother and father, Beth knew what she had to do. She wanted to move forward with her life. She was already beginning to do so, she wanted that to continue, and filing divorce was the one thing that was going to enable her that luxury.

“You know this is going to be the catalyst for Colby to go ahead with the custody issue don’t you,” Dominic stated.

“I know, but I have to do this. There is no point in me remaining married to a man I feel absolutely nothing for,” Beth answered.

“Trust me, I’m with you 100% on this, it’s the right decision, especially as I know everything that’s gone on over the years.”

Dominic handed over the yellow pad he had been writing on along with a pen.

“I want you to list everyone you can think of back in Laughlin who Colby may try and get on side. Hopefully that way, we can be one step ahead of him, there won’t be any surprises he can throw at us.”

Beth neatly wrote out a long list of all the people she could possibly think of. Couples they had been friends with, people they knew through the air force , friends she had made of her own accord through Nate’s schooling and the office where she had been a secretary before having Nate. She scanned it quickly before handing it back to Dominic.

“If I think of anyone else I’ll call you, although Colby does have some friends at a couple of bars there, but I couldn’t even tell you who they are, I’ve never met them.”

“If you don’t know them, and they’ve never seen you with Nate, then any statements they could possibly give would be thrown out,” Dominic stated, browsing the list.

“Statements?” Beth questioned, not wanting to appear completely naïve.

“Sweetheart, he’s going to try and discredit you as a parent as much as we are him, his attorney will be insisting on it. Now, he won’t be able to come from the same angle we are with the school reports and such forth, so they’re going to have to attempt to get you another way, through the people you were friends with. Now is there anyone on this list who is more likely to side with Colby than you?”

“Aside from maybe him…and him,” Beth began, indicating to two names, “then no. Everyone else on there would never be around when Colby was, or would only invite Nate and I over, stuff like that. They couldn’t understand how he could act the way he does towards his son, so they wouldn’t entertain him. And I still talk to some of them each week, they were there for me.”

Dominic nodded, obviously not wanting to appear too helpful just yet and gathered up all of the paperwork that lay on the table.

“I’ll get to work on this tomorrow, and I’ll be in touch Monday morning,” he told her with a smile.

“Thanks Dominic, I really appreciate all that you’re doing,” Beth replied walking him to the door.

“Oh, one last thing,” Dominic started, “You and Brian, did you give it any more thought?” he asked.

“I did, and let’s just say, he’s very persuasive,” Beth answered, unable to stop the grin that formed.

Dominic chuckled, opening the front door.

“You deserve to have that smile on your face sweetheart, I’m glad you worked things out,” Dominic told her. “Nate like him?”

“We shall know the answer to that one this afternoon,” Beth smiled.

“I think it’ll be just fine,” Dominic assured her, before bidding her goodbye.

Shutting the door, Beth couldn’t help but pray that he was right. She knew that Brian was the polar opposite to Colby, and that they had decided they would ease Nate in gently when it came to how involved Brian would be in their lives, but that still didn’t erase the fear that Colby had done enough damage to make Nate unaccepting. They all deserved a chance of happiness, and Beth knew if there was any chance that Colby’s actions over the years would make that an impossibility, she would never forgive him.

**********

Laughing as she spotted Jen checking her hair and make up in the small mirror of the passenger side sun visor, Beth switched off the engine.

“You do know you look fine, just as you looked fine when you checked yourself over thirty seconds ago, oh and the other ten times you‘ve looked in the mirror on the way over here,” she pointed out, grinning.

Jen scowled, snapping the mirror shut.

“Nothing wrong with wanting to look my best,” she retorted. “Especially as I wouldn’t mind keeping Matt around for longer than just a quick roll in the hay.”

Shaking her head, Beth got out of the car, walking round to the rear passenger door to get Nate, Jen joining her.

“Hey sweetie, time to go,” she told him, waiting as he undone his seatbelt.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Matt the one calling you first thing that Sunday morning after we left him and Brian stranded the night before,” Beth put to her, taking Nate’s hand after locking the car.

“Well yeah,” Jen answered quietly.
“And he was the one calling you two hours after he left yours on the Monday morning right?”

Jen nodded.

“Well then I think it’s safe to assume you don’t wake up looking like Freddie Krueger if he keeps coming back,” Beth assured her with a smile.

They walked to the station house in relative silence, Nate between them. As the crowds that were gathered there taking a look around and enjoying the displays and stalls that were there for the day came into sight, Beth’s pace slowed a little.

“Honey, it’s going to be fine,” Jen stated, clearly sensing Beth’s sudden bout of nerves.

“I know,” Beth murmured, even though she didn’t sound entirely convinced.

Feeling Nate tug on her hand, Beth looked down it him, wondering just what the urgency was.

“You okay there kiddo? What’s the rush?” she enquired.

“Look!” he exclaimed with excitement, pointing to the opposite side of the road.

Beth laughed when she saw the collection of vintage fire trucks that had caught her son’s attention. He had been fascinated by them for as long as she could remember, and Beth loved seeing him so enthralled and enthusiastic over something. It was becoming a more regular occurrence of late, with Nate interacting and communicating with people a little more, other than herself and her parents. She had wondered how he would be today, amongst a crowd of complete strangers, but so far he didn’t seem phased.

“Isn’t that where someone said he was going to be today?” Jen put to her.

“Yeah, he asked to be there specifically once he knew about Nate’s love for them, he figured it might make today a little easier.”

“What a kiss ass,” Jen teased with a wink.

“You coming with us?” Beth asked.

“Yeah I…oh my.”

Jen’s voice trailed off as she stood static, almost dumbfounded. It didn’t take Beth long to figure out just what or who had rendered her friend speechless once she saw Matt strolling towards them.

“I hope he’s got a spare one, cos he’s gonna be needing it after I tear him up later,” Jen practically growled as she walked away, oblivious to anyone other than Matt.

“C’mon kiddo, we’ve obviously lost your Aunt Jen for the afternoon,” Beth sighed, making sure the road was clear before walking Nate over.

It hadn’t been Beth’s intention to go directly looking for Brian, however, after five minutes, she spotted him walking around with who she presumed to be his chief. He flashed her a smile, and indicated that he’d be with her soon. Beth could feel the nerves starting to bubble away in the pit of her stomach, all the while silently hoping that this would go well. She tried to find something else to focus on, only to find that her mind kept wandering. Glancing back to where Brian had been stood, she saw him walking over, the reassuring smile he gave her letting her know that he understood, and that everything would be just fine.

“Hey,” he greeted casually, careful not to get too overly familiar with her in front of Nate. “And quit worrying,” he added a little more quietly.

Brian took a quick look around.

“Where’s Jen?” he enquired.

“Probably allowing Matt to say his final goodbyes, because now she’s seen him in his uniform, I highly doubt that boy’s getting out of here alive,” Beth informed him.

Brian shook his head as he laughed, before they slipped into an apprehensive silence. Beth glanced down at Nate, who had stopped looking at the truck they were standing next to, his eyes now concentrating on Brian. Beth crouched down beside him, Brian following her lead, in the hope he would seem a little less intimidating.

“Nate, this is Brian, a friend of mine from when I was at school,” Beth explained softly, watching as her son didn’t take his eyes off of Brian, something that actually pleased her. Eye contact wasn’t always a regular occurrence with Nate, making Beth aware that this was another small step forward.

“Hey Nate, it’s good to finally meet you,” Brian began.

He held out his hand, remembering what Beth had told him about her dad encouraging Nate to greet people with a handshake. He wanted Nate to feel as comfortable as possible, and figured by doing something he was familiar with, it would help. Tentatively, Nate reached out, took Brian’s hand, and shook it. Brian smiled at the gesture, and not wanting to alarm Nate by seeming too surprised, he continued as though it was the reaction he had expected.

“So, your mom tells me that you love fire trucks, is that right?” Brian asked. “Especially these real old ones?”

Nate nodded, still not dropping his gaze.

“Cool, that’s why I thought you might like to come here today, plus of course I get to meet the awesome little dude your mom’s always talking about,” Brian told him, earning a little smile from Nate.

“Did you want to go take a look around sweetie?” Beth suggested, taking Nate’s hand in hers once again.

Pulling his hand away, Nate shook his head and pointed at Brian, who in return cast a confused a look at Beth. She smiled, looking a little surprised herself, but knew she was more than happy to go along with what was transpiring.

“Nate, you know we can’t hear hand signals buddy. If you want something, you have to tell us,” she scolded lightly.

“B..Brian take me,” Nate stuttered.

“Sure, I can do that, if that’s what you want dude, “ Brian stated, grinning and standing back up, holding out his hand, which Nate took without hesitation.

“Although, how about your mom still comes with us. I mean, I know she’s a girl, but she’s still kinda neat,” he joked, winking at the young boy.

Beth stood up, unable to keep the smile off her face, taken aback at just how at ease Nate appeared with a man he had just met. All of the fears and concerns she had felt regarding the day simply ebbed away, relief washing over at the sight of the little boy who was her world and the man who was slowly becoming a major part of her life walking away together, as though it was the most natural thing for them to do, something that they did each day. Life for them was moving on, and there was no doubt in Beth’s mind that it was heading in one direction only, and that was the right one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Apologies for how long it's been between updates, but between lack of sleep, being busy, and me rewriting this chapter umpteen times....it's just taken me an age to get it finished. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I think I've exhausted myself with it.

Thanks as always guys for the comments :) xx