Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

Six

Jumping down from the firetruck as it came to a halt outside of their building, Brian let the suspenders of his protective turnout pants fall from his shoulders before stretching his aching arms. They had just returned from dealing with a pointless arson attack on a local warehouse, the third of the week. He and Matt had ended up right within the thick of the fire, checking to ensure the building was unoccupied, and all Brian wanted was to rid himself of the clothes that had been permeated by the stench of the dense smoke, and grab a shower to ease some of the tension that had begun to build up in his shoulders.

Brian glanced over at Matt, who was already peeling the sweat soaked shirt from his torso, and shook his head with a grin when the reason for this little display became apparent. 

"Ladies, beautiful day isn't it," Matt stated as two young women almost fell over each other at the sight that appeared before them as they walked past.

"Just how the fuck does he manage it?"

Brian looked over his shoulder to see one of his colleagues, Scotty, standing just behind him. Turning back to witness Matt strike up an easy conversation with the two women who had caught his attention, Brian shrugged.

"One look at the body, a flash of those dimples and that's it, they're like putty in his hands," Brian answered. "And that didn't sound remotely gay at all did it, " he added quickly.

"Always knew you two made a cute couple," Scotty chuckled, patting Brian on the back.

"Fuck you!" Brian retorted harshly, inspite of the laugh that escaped him. 

Running his fingers through his damp black hair, Brian sighed, and started to make his way inside.

"Haner! Sanders! Get your asses in here!"

Brian managed to stifle a yawn as he headed towards where their chief stood, Matt jogging over to join them. Chief Ed Thomas looked between the two young men who stood before him, taking note of their exhausted appearances.

"Everyone did well out there earlier, but you two did an exceptional job once again inside that place today. You look beat. Shift's almost over, go take a shower and get your tired asses out of here and I'll see you both bright and early tomorrow morning." 

Thanking Thomas, they made for the locker room, both silently grateful that their day was coming to an end. They both loved their job, but there were days when the need to escape the physical and mental exhaustion that it brought with it was greater then the want to be out doing what they did best. Opening his locker, Brian glanced once again over at his friend.

"Get a date outta that little conversation you were having?" he enquired, stripping off his shirt.

Matt simply grinned, taking clean clothes out of his duffle bag.

"Well, they mentioned they may be at O' Connells on Saturday night, so I may well take me a little trip down there," he stated casually. "You should come with me, get yourself back out into the single life."

Brian pondered over the idea of a night out with Matt, it had been a while since he had actually gone bar hopping with his friend, and if it had been any other night, he may well have taken him up on the invitation. It had been three weeks since Beth had helped him rid his life of Clayre completely, and since then, the makings of a strong friendship had started to form. Brian found himself visiting his father's store more regularly when he wasn't working so that he could see her, and because Beth had made it quite clear that she left her socializing to Saturday nights, Brian had taken her out the past couple of Saturday evenings. Once to the movies, and last weekend for a casual dinner at Chimayo at the Beach. Both he had passed off as ways of thanking her for helping him, but Brian knew there was more to it than that. 

Brian found himself completely fascinated by Beth. Her insistance at wanting to keep so much of herself and her life a mystery only brought about the want for him to want to gain her trust and let her see that he was someone that she could talk to. There had been times over the past few weeks when Beth would gradually open up just a little more, giving Brian the encouragement he needed to persue the relationship that was forming between them. Brian was also very aware of the fact that he was attracted to her, but he tried his hardest to not allow that to become a factor in all of this. However, it wasn't just a physical attraction that was drawing him in. 

For the first week after he had taken the steps to get Clayre out of the house, it had been Beth who was the one on the other end of the phone, listening to and sympathizing with his frustrations at the endless grief Clayre had taken to giving him on a daily basis with regard to his actions. She was so easy to talk to, was always ready with some words of advice, and never once complained about how he may be taking up her time. When they were together, Brian was beginning to discover just how amusing, intelligent and fun Beth really was. There were no more awkward silences in their conversations as there had been the night he had met her for coffee, they found they were able to converse and laugh about even the most mundane subjects and never bore one another. He had never been a huge believer in the theory of everyone having a soul mate, but now Brian beginning to wonder if there actually something behind that theory. He hadn't made any definite plans with Beth for this weekend, but he didn't want to pass up the oppurtunity to spend time with her for an evening with Matt and his two new acquaintances.

"I may have to get back to you on that," Brian finally answered. 

"Dude, what the fuck is up with you?" Matt exclaimed. "The most we've managed to get from you these last few weeks is a few mid-week beers at Johnny's or the strip club if Jimmy's working. But when it comes to the weekend and being able to go out and do some serious enjoying yourself, you fucking spout out excuses." 

Hazel eyes narrowing, Matt eyed Brian suspiciously.

"Have you gotten back with Clayre and not told us? Cos if so, then you need your fucking head read, Haner."

"Fuck no!" Brian yelled. "It's definitely not Clayre!" 

"But it's a woman though isn't it," Matt declared, a smirk appearing. 

"Yeah, but she's just a good friend, that's all."

Matt rested a hand on his locker to steady himself from the silent chuckle that slowly erupted into a hearty laugh.

"You seriously expect me to believe that you are passing up drinking time with your buddies for a 'good friend'," Matt snorted, air quoting the words. "There has to be more to it than that Brian, there always is."

Head bowed, Brian knew that he was caught. He had never been able to keep anything from Matt, or the rest of the guys for that matter for too long.

"Okay, I like her, I like her a lot. But at the moment, I'm just taking the time to get to know her better," Brian admitted. 

"Dude, as long as she makes you happy and isn't Clayre, then take all the time you need! Do we know her?" Matt asked.

"I should think so. Remember Beth Cooperman from high school?" Brian threw at him, strolling towards the shower room. 

"The one that married that jerk Hudson?" Matt questioned.

Brian nodded in reply and smiled.

"Well they're not together anymore. She's working for dad at the store, and well, I don't really know how to explain it, but I bumped into her a few weeks back, and we've just clicked," Brian explained.

"That's great, I'm....."

Matt stopped midflow, his brow furrowed as he appeared to be mulling something over.

"No, must be the wrong Beth," he muttered.

"What?" Brian questioned.

Drumming his fingers on the cold steel of his locker, Matt looked at Brian warily, as if trying to choose his words carefully.

"I was over at mom and dad's at the weekend, and mom mentioned something about running into a Beth from school that she hadn't seen in a long while."

"So?" Brian asked, not quite getting where Matt was heading with this.

"Well, it's just that mom said that this Beth had her son with her," Matt stated quietly, taking the look on Brian's face to mean that if it was the same Beth, then he had no idea. "But you know what, there were a few Beth's in our year at school, so it's probably not even the same one," he added, trying to blow it off.

"Yeah, course," Brian murmured, walking away from Matt, unsure of what t0 even think.

***************

Not even bothering to knock as he opened the front door to his parent's home, Brian stepped into the hallway. For the last few hours he had sat at home, repeatedly going over what Matt had mentioned, slowly driving himself crazy. Eventually he realised that sitting brooding wasn't going to provide him with the answers that he needed, and that if there was one person that would be able to help him, it would have to be his father. Wandering through to the family room, Brian found his stepmother, Suzy reading whilst the television played away to itself. 

"Hey," Brian spoke quietly, letting her know he was there.

"Brian honey, wasn't expecting you this evening," Suzy stated, rising from where she sat on the couch, kissing his cheek. "Can I get you anything to drink?" she asked.

"Just a soda thanks," he answered, following her into the kitchen.

"Your dad's locked away in his den," Suzy informed him, handing over a coke and a beer, her lips wearing a knowing smile.

Thanking her, Brian turned and headed for the room at the other side of the house. Nearing the door, Brian could hear the sounds of his father rehearsing his routine. Tapping lightly, Brian opened the door without waiting for an answer. Brian Sr looked up from where he was concentrating on perfecting a few chords and smiled warmly at the young man who had enetered the room.

"Hey son, good to see you," he greeted, taking the beer that Brian held out to him. 

Brian dropped down onto the loveseat that had seen better days that was against the wall opposite to where his father was seated. He let out a sigh, not even quite sure where he was supposed to start. 

"Brian?" 

Brian's gaze fell on his father, a weak smile forming on his thin lips. 

"I need to ask you something, and I want you to be completely straight with me," Brian stated, his tone low and a little shaky.

"Sure," his father answered. "What's on your mind son?"

Sitting back, Brian gazed up at the ceiling momentarily.

"I know you're by no means blind, and have probably figured out that I'm not spending a lot more time at the store because I want to indulge in more father/son time," Brian began.

"Way to break your old man's heart son!" Brian Sr joked, the grin that he wore falling when he saw the look Brian shot him. "No, you're right, I'm not blind. So what did you need to ask?"

Brian knew that there was little point in stalling.

"Has Beth got a son?"

He watched as the older man sat across the room from him let out a low breath, obviously never expecting that to be the question he was going to be asked. 

"Yes she has," his father answered honestly and clearly.

Brian couldn't contain the bitter laugh that passed his lips, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I can't believe this," he whispered. "We've been getting along so damn well, and I know she's reluctant to open up about her life, but this...this isn't something you can just keep hidden. And yet, she can tell you!" he finished, his voice raised and frustrated.

"Brian, I'm her employer, she had to tell me," his father pointed out. "And it's a little more complicated than her just having a son."

"How the hell is it complicated?" Brian questioned, his face contorted with confusion.

"Trust me son, it is. It's not an easy situation for her, she's a single mom having to deal with a lot of issues right now, and will do for a long time. But that's all I can say, because at the end of the day, it's down to Beth when she lets you in on that part of her life."

Placing his guitar down, Brian Sr looked at his eldest born son, hating to see him so wound up and frustrated and knowing that there was very little that he could do to help him right then.

"You really think a lot of her don't you," he stated.

Brian closed his eyes and sighed yet again.

"Yeah."

"Let me give you a little bit of advice. If you want this friendship to develop into something more, you need to keep what you know to yourself and give her time, you can't push her into telling you."

"But what if she doesn't see me in the same way?" Brian asked.

"Oh I know she does. I see the way you the pair of you are around each other. And if it helps, her friend Jen came back into town and dropped by the store today, they've decided to go to Gallagher's on Saturday night, and I'm pretty sure I heard Beth mention that she was going to ask you if you wanted to join them."

Brian did nothing to stop the smirk that formed.

"She did?"

"Mmhmm. But you've got to tread carefully son, promise me that."

His smile widening a little, Brian looked at his father and grinned.

'I promise," he assured him, knowing he would do whatever it took to make this work. 
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the final chapter of all that I had written before I deleted...chapter 7 and the start of the new stuff will be up very soon :)

Thank you for all the comments.

Also, if you want to read some other fantastic stories, check out itbemet and give her some love :D