Status: Working on slowly

Let Me In

Seven

Beth readjusted the black and white scarf top a little more, and wondered if a one shouldered top was really the wisest choice for her evening out. She was never one for clothes that showed off too much, and whilst it was safe to say she wasn’t exactly baring any unnecessary assets, she still felt slightly exposed. Beth shook her head, already mentally hearing Jen telling her to stop being such a prude and just relax.

Picking up her lip gloss from the dresser, Beth began to apply a fine layer of the clear liquid.

“Whoa! Are you expecting action tonight Elizabeth?”

Beth rolled her eyes, glancing over at her friend who had suddenly appeared in the doorway to her room.

“Nice of you to knock,” Beth answered with a smile, pointing out Jen’s failure to let her know she had arrived. “And what makes you presume I‘m expecting anything?” she added, placing the lip brush back in the gloss and tightening the lid.

Running a hand through the mass of dirty blonde curls that cascaded down her back, Jen sat on the edge Beth’s bed.

“A top that shows skin, lip gloss, and if I’m correct, a hint of mascara,” she stated, looking at Beth closely. “That’s major when it comes to you sweetie, so chances are, there’s going to be a certain fire fighter walking around with a big ass smile on his face in the morning.”

Jen ducked to dodge the well aimed lip gloss Beth launched at her, trying not to laugh at the slight scowl her friend wore.

“Is Brian okay with this little ménage a trois we have going on this evening?” Jen questioned.

“Jen!” Beth exclaimed. “Brian and I are friends, and I have already explained to you why I asked him if he wanted to come along this evening.”

“Yeah, yeah, some crap about he’s taken you out the last couple of weeks, and you just thought it would be nice to return the favor,” Jen muttered.

“And besides, there will be four of us, not three,” Beth informed her.

“Kinky!” Jen replied with a wink. “So, who’s the fourth?”

Checking through her purse to make sure she had everything she required for the evening, Beth popped her lip gloss in before answering.

“Brian asked Matt to come.”

Jen shook her head with slight confusion, as if unsure just who Beth was referring to.

“Matt Sanders from school,” Beth clarified.

Jen’s eyes widened at the news.

“Damn! I had the biggest crush on him back then!” she announced happily.

Closing her purse, Beth simply stared at Jen for a moment.

“I thought you had a crush on Jimmy.”

“Honey, let’s face it, as long as it had a penis and a pulse, I had a crush on it. Including your boy Brian,” Jen admitted with a smile. “But I shall be keeping my distance tonight, I do not want to stand in the way of romance.”

Rolling her eyes once more, Beth just shook her head.

“Okay, I’ll just get my car keys and then we’re good to go,” she stated.

“No need, I booked a cab, it’ll be here in five minutes. And before you say no, you need a night where you can relax, have a drink, get a little flirt going on with that boy,” Jen told Beth pointedly as she walked out of the room.

“Jen!” Beth called behind her. “How many times do I have to tell you that there’s….”

“Can’t hear you!” Jen replied.

Taking a deep breath, Beth knew that tonight was going to be interesting to say the least.

*********************

Walking along Main Street in the direction of Walnut Street, Brian suddenly realized that he was alone. Turning round, he groaned as he saw that Matt had stopped to talk to three young women, each one vying for his attention. Any other night, Brian wouldn’t be bothered by Matt and his knack of attracting females by the bucket load. In fact, there was a good chance he would be right alongside him. But tonight was different. Beth had text to let him know that she and Jen were on their way, and he didn’t need any added complications that Matt might decide to bring along with him.

“Matt!” he called, trying to divert his friend’s attention away from what was no doubt a huge ego boost.

Matt flashed him a smile, said his goodbyes and casually strolled over.

“You just can’t help your fucking self can you?” Brian mumbled.

“Dude, what’s your problem?” Matt chuckled as they began walking towards Gallagher’s.

“You, that,” Brian began, indicating behind them. “I just don’t want anything to screw tonight up okay,” he added with a sigh.

“I’m just keeping my options open dude, just in case,” Matt stated, a smirk appearing. “Anyway, why are you so bothered?”

Brian threw Matt a look .

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

“OH!” Matt chuckled. “You’re hoping tonight might be the night huh? Although, I thought you and Beth were ‘just friends’,” he added, a knowing look that almost seemed to challenge Brian into admitting that his feelings ran deeper than he was caring to admit.

Brian continued to walk in silence, not even dignifying Matt with an answer. He was very aware of how he had told Matt that he liked Beth, but the simple truth was, they were no more than friends.

Turning the corner into Walnut Street, Brian felt a smile twitch at the corner of his mouth as he saw Beth step out onto the sidewalk from a cab., closely followed by whom he presumed to be Jen. He couldn’t help the grin that followed as Beth turned, flashing him a smile that spoke volumes when she saw him.

“I believe we may well have hit the jackpot tonight my friend,” Matt stated as they walked towards them.

“Well if it isn’t Jennifer Gilbert,” Matt began. “Haven’t seen you in a while, and may I say, looking as gorgeous now as you did then.”

The unsubtle hint of suggestion in Matt’s voice caused Brian to look at Beth with some confusion, the shrug she offered in return telling him she was just as clueless as he was.

“Matthew,” Jen returned, linking her arm through his as they headed towards the entrance, leaving Beth and Brian unable to do no more than just stare after them.

“Have they ever….?” Brian’s voice trailed off.

“Not that I know of,” Beth answered. “And if not, damn, that has to be a new record!”

“I told you how Matt could be,” Brian chuckled.

“Oh no! I was referring to Jen. Believe me, they’re most definitely two chips off the same block,” Beth informed him.

Brian laughed once more as he looked over at Beth.

“Anyway…hi,” he murmured, leaning forward slightly, his lips against her cheek lightly.

“Shall we?” Brian added, nodding towards the door, trying not to smile at the blush that had colored Beth’s face a delicate pink.

Entering Gallagher’s, they were met with a sea of people blocking the path to the bar. Without a second thought, Brian, who was stood behind Beth, gently placed his hands on her hips, making sure they would stay together before attempting to weave their way through the crowd.

“Sorry,” he apologized as Beth glanced at him over her shoulder.

“No, it’s fine,” she assured him, smiling to herself.

Brian grinned as she turned back, leaving his hands where they were and carefully helped her move forward towards the bar. Eventually they managed to find a gap and edge their way through. Brian rested one arm on the bar, his left hand remaining on Beth’s hip.

“So, what‘s going to get you good and drunk tonight?,” his voice low as his lips grazed against her ear.

“Oh, er…jack and coke please,” Beth replied, trying to keep her composure.

Brian ordered their drinks and took a look at their surroundings.

“This band must be really something to get this kind of crowd. Should be a good night,” he stated.

“No, tonight’s gonna fucking blow!” Matt commented, he and Jen suddenly appearing next to them. He pointed to the poster on the wall behind the bar.

”WHEEL IN THE SKY - A TRIBUTE TO JOURNEY”

“That is so typical of you,” Beth threw at Jen with a laugh. “I thought you said they were a local band.”

“I did, they just happen to be a local Journey tribute band. Did I forget to mention that?” Jen asked, trying to appear innocent.

“Mmmhmm,” Beth replied, shaking her head.

“It’s a good fucking job you’re hot,” Matt stated with a playful growl, grabbing his beer from the bar, before dragging Jen off into the crowd.

“Don’t think we’ll be seeing too much of them tonight,” Brian sighed. “So, Jen’s a big Journey fan huh?” he asked, handing Beth her drink and guiding her away from the bar.

“I guess you could say we both are,” Beth admitted as they found a place to stand and rest their drinks.

“Fuck! You need a serious education in good music,” Brian teased, taking a sip from his beer.

“Really now?” Beth countered.

“Yup! I’m on night crew next week, but the week after, we’re going to set aside one evening so that I can take you through the ‘Brian Haner step by step guide as to what should be in your record collection.’”

“Ah… now I always knew your dad was well educated when it came to music,” Beth answered, trying to keep a straight face.

“Ooh harsh!” Brian laughed, raising his bottle to his lips once more.

“But I’m serious,” he continued. “We should get together in the week too, not just on a Saturday night.”

His father’s words played over in his head as he spoke, reminding Brian not to push Beth into opening up about her life. He was no fool, he knew why she kept her socializing to the weekends, but for the time being he had to play dumb to the fact. He had to allow Beth to believe that he was clueless.

“Brian…” Beth murmured.

“I know what you’re going to say, but let me be honest here okay?”

Beth nodded, staying silent so that Brian could continue.

“The past few weekends have been fucking great. I never expected to have as much fun with you as I have, and I’ve realized that I would love for there to be some more Beth and Brian time. Just us.”

“You make it sound as thought there’s more to this than just a friendship,” Beth pointed out.

“Would it be so bad if there was?” Brian asked softly, preparing himself for disappointment.

“I..I haven’t really given it much thought.”

The falter in her voice told Brian that she wasn’t being completely truthful. Satisfied for now that he wasn’t alone with how he felt, Brian simply nodded.

“Brian, I….”

Beth was interrupted by feedback and the band being introduced. Sensing that she felt a little lost as quite what to do, Brian slipped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer as he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, reassuring her that everything was going to be fine.

An hour into the set, which Beth was fairly certain had to be coming to an end soon, she took a quick look around. Brian, who’s arm was now round her waist, looked at her slightly puzzled.

“Everything okay?” he questioned.

“I was just wondering where Jen and Matt were, that’s all,” she replied with a smile.

Brian chuckled as he pointed over to the left. Beth shook her head as she spied just what he was indicating to. Matt had Jen pushed firmly up against the wall, her legs wrapped tightly around his waist.

“I want to say I’m shocked, but we both know I’d be lying,” Beth grinned.

The piano intro to Open Arms began to resound around the bar, and Beth smiled to herself as she watched couples begin to dance. Long fingers entwined with hers as Brian took her hand and led her onto the main floor.

Beth looked at him, a little uncertain. A slow lazy smile appeared on Brian’s thin lips as he took her in his arms, encouraging her to slide her arms around his neck. As they moved to the slow tempo, Beth laughed lightly, the distinct sound of Brian singing softly along sending an unexpected feeling to flow throughout her.

“I thought you said I was the one who needed an education,” she murmured.

“Hush now,” he answered, smirking down at her.

Brian continued to sing, never averting his gaze from Beth’s. As the song began to draw to a close, Brian went to speak, only to stop himself.

“What?” Beth asked.

“Can I just try something?” he replied, sounding unsure.

“I guess.”

Cautiously cupping her face in his hands, Brian lent forward, his lips skimming over Beth’s with some hesitation. He pulled away a little, almost seeming fearful of her reaction.

“And you stopped because…..?”

Beth’s eyes glinted playfully as she spoke.

“But I thought you hadn’t given it much thought,” Brian countered.

“It doesn’t take much thinking about.”

Not needing any more encouragement, Brian kissed her with more force, groaning as he felt Beth press herself against him in response, taking the kiss deeper.

“It’s about fucking time, but put her the fuck down for a minute!”

Brian groaned as Matt’s voice ruined the moment.

“I’m gonna kick his fucking ass,” he murmured against Beth’s lips, causing her to laugh.

“Jen and I decided we should head to Johnny’s, so you can finish that off later,” Matt stated, waving his finger between them.

Sighing, Brian took Beth’s hand in his, squeezing it gently, as they followed behind Matt and Jen. Stepping outside, Beth heard the distinct sound of her cell ringing. Excusing herself, she walked away from the others as she answered.

“Hello?”

”Beth honey, it’s mom, I think you’d better come home, Colby’s here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you once again to all who have read, subscribed and commented and continue to do so :)

Beth