Reach for the Stars, Fall on Your face

Chapter Three

As I sit back wondering how my life could have possibly changed so quickly, so dramatically, I think only about Kyle. He was the one who made a complete change in me. He loved me, he told the truth, and most of all, and he said he would never be like Drew. I took refuge in that.

One night a few of my old friends and I went out on the town. We went to a club that was popular for the entertainment and stayed for five hours. Dancing, laughing, and realizing my smiles were genuine, I actually had one of the best nights that I have had in a long time…. Until I got home.

Kyle and his friends found a better entertainment. He found drugs. When I got home that night I wish that I hadn’t. As I walk into the living room I discover that everything is a mess. The mirror that my mother brought over from home just two days ago was broken. My couch was stained with a substance I did not want to see or smell and the thing that made me most made was Kyle was just sitting there in his chair.

His eyes were glued to mine from the moment that I walked in the door. When I asked just one simple question, his response was throwing me against the wall. I felt the wind knock out of me. I felt the blood running down from my head and I heard a laugh that made the hairs on my arms stick up in a way that was not normal for me. Kyle was on top of me before I could even scream. He was yelling and hitting and cutting me with the glass from the mirror. As soon as Kyle had fallen asleep from his “little game” I locked myself up in my room.

When morning came I woke up with a knot on my head, a cut on my face and legs. Sitting up in bed I realized how sore I was. I went to the bathroom to take a shower and to fix myself up. While I was in the shower I could hear Kyle’s laugh, see the way he looked at me when I came in. I was terrified. “What could have gotten into him?” I murmur. “He hates violence.”

I decide not to tell anyone about last night. When I walked into work my friends were worried. I told them, “I got mugged on the way home. No, I’m fine. They just wanted money.” After a while I, myself, actually believed that I got mugged. I went to my parent’s house that night for dinner. When they saw me my mom broke down into tears, my dad just stared and my sister just stood there, confused. I told them my story. My parents believed it, that’s not the story for my sister though. Lately it’s like she knows everything that is running through my head. It’s like we were connected in a way, ever since that night so long ago with Drew.

When I walked in the door later that evening everything was cleaned up. There was a new mirror that looked identical to the old one and the couch was cleaned. That was the only difference in the house. Kyle was with his friends out back listening to the game. To me it sounded like they were doing other activities as well. There were five Papa John’s pizza boxes and they were all gone. “Kyle must have a lot of friends over.” I said to myself.

Looking in the fridge I tried to get myself in check. I put on a fake smile and made sure my cuts and burses were covered up. I walked out the back door. Kyle and his friends were yelling at each other as a friendly game of beer pong was going on. He gave me a peck on the cheek and a hug. As he whispered the words, “I love you”, his breath sent chills up my spin.