Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

A Secret That Shouldn't Have To Be A Secret

"Mary!" Rodger called down the stairs.

Mary looked back curiously as she turned the doorknob. Her fiance was jumping down the stairs two at a time with a folder in his hands. He handed it to her with a prize-winning smile and said, "Why must you always forget the most important thing that you're going to need every day? How did you do your job before you had me?"

She blinked innocently, "I didn't." She replied in a quite serious voice. A small smile spread across her lips and she pecked Rodger on the lips, "Thank you, honey. I would have died without this."

"You can sure die without a lot of things," He responded jokingly, a broad smile plastered across his face. Marrietta smiled at him and brushed back a lock of dark, black hair from his forehead. He rolled his eyes, "I work from home, darling, I don't need to look my best."

"With web cams now you might have to start," She stated matter-of-factly. Sighing, she glanced down at her watch and added, "I really have to go now. Thank you for getting me this and have fun talking to people about whatever it is that you do. I've got to go!"

As she ran out the door, Rodger yelled, "If we're going to be married you'll have to learn what it is that I do!"

***

Marrietta checked her reflection in the car window before heading into work. Her bright red hair hung in loose curls around her face making her seem to be almost angelic. Plump pink lips sat in the perfect spot on her face and large brown eyes stared back at her.

She pulled down the bottom of her orange tank top so that it covered most of her thighs and pulled down her denim short-shorts so that they peeked out from under it. Staring wistfully at the navy blue blazer in the back of the car, she twirled the diamond ring on her finger.

Would Rodger still love me if he knew what I really did for money? Would he still love me if he knew that there was absolutely nothing in that folder he brought down to me this morning?

Marrietta sighed and walked into Hooters through the back door. The chef said good morning as she walked in and she smiled in reply. A couple of the other waitresses waved as she passed and she did her best to look as though she was happy to be there. Stopping in front of a large, full-length mirror, Marrietta thought, How did it come to this?

Of course, she knew the answer. It was his fault. It had always been his fault. She had blamed him for every failure of hers since she had first met him and she was still doing it, even though he was long gone. Tyler, She thought menacingly, Look at me now. I was supposed to be in France running a pastry shop and you were supposed to be in the dead-end job. Where are you now? Are you the CEO of some huge company? I really hope so, for irony's sake.

She spat on the floor and walked out into the restaurant. Every booth was full even though it was barely eleven o'clock. The people here were not the ones with jobs to get to or with no homes. They were the lucky ones who had cash to burn and no way else to spend it other than drinking beer and ogling scantily clad girls. She was disgusted by them. But she still had to serve them.

Marrietta walked up to her first table and said cheerily, "Hello and welcome to Hooters! What can I get for you today?"

"Uhh... a round of beers and a new waitress, maybe a blonde one? Her name is Nina?" One of the guys said coolly. He had a thatch of blonde hair swung across his blue eyes and a smirking smile on his face, "We're celebrating, you see and she's a friend of mine."

"Nina quit two months ago," Marrietta replied simply. She looked the guy in the eyes and continued, "I believe she said it was because a group of guys kept coming in here, asking for her and harassing her. Does that sound familiar."

"Whoa!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up into the air, "I thought you girls were supposed to be nice. Just get us our beers and a blonde waitress and you'll never have to talk to us again. You see, I've got something against red heads. I don't click well with them."

"No doubt," She mumbled sarcastically. Then, plastering a bright smile onto her face, she said, "Another waitress will be right back with your drinks. Congratulations on whatever it is you're celebrating!"

As she walked away from the group, the guy who had been talking turned to his friends and said, "Did she look familiar to you?"

"Not at all," The second guy replied with a shrug.

"Hmm... I must be losing it," The first guy replied in a mumble as he stared after her red head. He knew that there was something about her that was familiar but he just couldn't place it.

When Marrietta walked back into the kitchen and called for a new waitress, she thought to herself, Only eight hours to go... Then she got back on her feet, back out the kitchen door and back to her job. Oh, the fateful irony.