Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

A Reply Even She Didn't Expect

The rest of their time in San Francisco flew by uneventfully. Marrietta had stood quietly by Rodger while they had lowered his mother's casket into the grave. She held his hand as his brothers walked past each other in silence at the reception and let him cry on her shoulder later that night.

Carlos and Steven had avoided each other for the rest of the weekend, both of them acting like the other did not exist. It was fine for the most part, except at dinner where they were sitting next to each other. That was awkward to say the least.

Now Marrietta sat alone on the couch in their apartment flipping through TV channels absently as Rodger unpacked upstairs. Every once in a while she would hear a thump, usually indicating that a drawer had fallen or that he had dumped everything on the ground. Sometimes the sound made her smile and sometimes it just made her groan.

It was during one of these thumps that she looked up at the ceiling and paused on the channel she had just switched to. She waited a couple of seconds in silence and then Rodger called, "I'm okay." Sighing in relief, Marrietta turned back to the TV and froze. The face on the screen was eerily familiar.

"The newest coach of the New York Yankees has been in the hospital for several days now and has had three reported suicide attempts. Now we are getting word from our reporters that he is standing on top of the hospital getting ready to jump. We switch now to Felicia, who is at the scene," The anchor said without any emotion.

Marrietta held her breath as the shot missed the reporter's statement completely and went straight to the two men standing on top of the building. As Tyler began to talk, she began to mentally calculate how far it was to the hospital. She was shaking, she could tell, and she was close to breaking the remote control in her hands.

As the second man came up beside Tyler, she threw the remote to the floor, grabbed her jacket and shouted, "I'm going out!"

She dashed out the door of their apartment and bounded down several flights of stairs after deciding the elevator was too slow. Swinging through the revolving door that led onto the street, she took off towards the hospital, her heart pounding in her chest. She had never run so fast in her life and never had she thrown people out of her way with such a cold disregard for their feelings.

It only took her a couple of minutes to get to the hospital, a perk of living right in the middle of the city. As she was arriving though, she realized it was too late. The two men were already stepping off the building and even though she screamed Tyler's name countless times there was no way he could have heard her. She closed her eyes as they began to fall.

The crowd fell silent. Marrietta waited anxiously for the sound of their bodies hitting the pavement. But the sound never came. Suddenly, the crowd burst into a cacophony of sounds, each person shouting louder then the next. She opened her eyes and saw the two of them standing there, smiling, with white parachutes falling to the ground behind them.

For the first time since she had seen the newscast, she let her emotions catch up with her. She had been so worried about Tyler, so scared that he was actually going to die. Now she was unbelievable angry at him for pulling a stunt like this and also incredibly relieved that he was alive. She felt tears brimming in her eyes and she did her best to hold them back.

Tyler and the other man pushed through the crowd and for a moment, her eyes met Tyler's. And in that moment she realized that she shouldn't be the one feeling all these things for him. She realized that he had a girlfriend and she had a fiance. Her heart had slowed down considerably by then and looking into his blue eyes was just speeding it up again.

Marrietta stared at him, knowing her eyes were reflecting all her worries and not caring. All she knew was that he was not hers and she was not his. So as he took a step towards her, parting the crowd, she turned on her heel and ran.