Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

Who Is She Really?

Rodger, I'm... uhh... going to lunch with Tyler tomorrow, Marrietta thought to herself as she paced back and forth in their silver and chrome kitchen. She shook her head, I'm going to lunch with a friend tomorrow... a friend who kisses me and makes me feel better than you do. She swore.

"You okay?" Rodger's voice called down from upstairs. He was preoccupied and only half cared about why she swore. He was always preoccupied, always busy, always trying to get somewhere on time. She did not reply. "Marrietta?"

"Yeah, fine," She replied blandly, thinking, I'm leaving you for Tyler. You don't know who that is but you're ignoring me right now and pissing me off and making me think that the fact that he cheated on me really isn't that big of a deal anymore. Marrietta cut herself off, confused by her tirade. That had not been the plan. I will simply tell Rodger I'm going to lunch tomorrow. He doesn't care who with. I am not breaking up with Rodger. Not leaving the only place that's ever truly been safe...

With that thought, she turned and looked around at their beautiful two floor apartment. The walls were a nice, light blue and all of the furniture was either made of glass or was pitch black. She let her hand run over the black marble counters as she stared up at the collection of coffee mugs she and Rodger had bought from all their travels. She smiled to herself.

I'm not leaving Rodger. Not for the very bastard that made me want someone as perfect as him, Marrietta concluded as she headed for the living room. She grabbed the remote and turned on the television to Tyler's picture. Then why are you going to see him?

Because he's still in love with me...

She answered her own question, pushing the other half of the answer even further back in her mind. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to sit down and wait for Rodger. He took forever when he was getting ready for something or working on a new proposition. He always took forever, it was kind of his thing.

Twenty minutes passed before he walked calmly into the room, glancing from Marrietta to the television and then back again. He found it very odd that she was still. She had been in the practice for quite a while now of never being still, of always looking busy so that he would never find out what she actually did. Rodger knew something was wrong when she was still.

"Honey?" He began cautiously, sliding into the seat beside her. His hands shook as he reached to touch her leg, but she pulled away. He ran a hand through his dark brown hair. "Did I do something wrong? Are you okay?"

Marrietta looked up at him blankly. Her big, brown eyes blinked at him and then she shook her head, as if she had just realized he was there. A false smile spread across her lips, "You didn't do anything, darling, and I'm fine. It's just..." She paused. This was what she had been freaking out about telling him all afternoon. Now it did not feel like such a big deal. They never ate together on work days. Why would he care? Shaking her head, she continued, "An old friend of mine showed up. I'm going to lunch with him tomorrow, if that's okay."

"Of course it's okay, why wouldn't it be?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, I thought maybe you'd be jealous."

He laughed reassuringly, but all it did was make her angry. Standing up, he kissed her on the forehead and whispered, "I know that you're not going to leave me for one of your high school buddies." He backed away and for the first time, his eyes met hers. Swallowing, he added, "I love you, Marrietta."

"I love you, too." She replied with as much feeling as she could muster.

He smiled and walked away. She sighed.

But you might not be the only person I can say that to...
♠ ♠ ♠
So... making an appearance for the first time, the author of this story, Pigzxo!
Anyways, I know these chapters have been super-short lately and really far apart and I am so sorry. I am getting closer to the part of the story I've been planning for, so it should be getting longer. If the latest chapters suck, I apologize, because they will get better. If you've read anything I've written before, you know that I go through periods where my writing suffers and then gets better.
So, thanks for sticking with me, and I hope you liked this chapter!