Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

A Look That Makes It All Worthwhile

"Hey," Tyler's voice came from the other end of the phone, "You know, it's only been a day... you just couldn't wait to hear my voice could you? Too bad you need to wait until Saturday to marry me."

Marrietta hesitated. She had the feeling that the words were stuck in her throat and were refusing to come out because she wanted him. Her urge to be with him was too much for her to say what she knew she had to say, but with one glance through the doorway at Steven, she gained her courage.

"I... I can't do it. I can't go on Saturday... or any day," Her voice was monotonous. Tears stung her eyes and she pushed the door closed so that Steven would not wake, "I can't marry you."

There was a pause and then Tyler growled, "What on earth did Rodger say to you? He might be unbelievably safe Marrietta, but he's not me. And you and him, it's not us. So I'm not sure why you're trying to kid yourself or if you're just scared that I'm going to cheat on you 'again' but-"

"It's not Rodger," She cut across quickly. After a moment, she realized what that sounded like, and quickly corrected herself, "It's his brother." She swore. It was still not coming out right. Something about the way he talked to her made her tongue-tied. "I mean, his brother... he's in a bad place, well, really, the entire family is and I'm the only girl left here and... well... I can't do it. They need me."

"That's not a reason to stay."

Marrietta considered that for a moment and looked through the door at Steven's beaten body. His breathing was highly irregular in a may that made her want to cry. She could not tell if one of his lungs was punctured or not and he refused to go to the hospital because they would ask what happened to him. He still refused to give up Carlos. And Carlos refused to be found.

Steven groaned in his sleep and Marrietta found the strength to reply, "But it is... His older brother and younger brother are... well... they... it's complicated, alright? His younger brother is here and I can't leave him, he doesn't deserve that and... and... I can't alright?"

"No, it's not alright!" Tyler exclaimed. His voice had gone from calm to angry in a matter of seconds. The sound of it made Marrietta jump a little as he continued, "This is all we've ever wanted and you're throwing it away!"

"I'm sorry," She whispered, tears streaming down her cheeks. Walking back into the living room, she placed a hand gently across Steven's face. I'm doing this for you, she thought despairingly as she murmured, "I'm sorry, but I can't... and I won't be there. I have to go. Bye."

She hung up and placed the phone back into the cradle. Under Marrietta's care, only after a day, Steven was already getting some of his colour back. He was sleeping for longer periods of time than he had ever done with Rodger taking care of him. He looked like he felt safe for the first time in a long time and the fact that she had given up Tyler for that look on his face was fair to her. It was very fair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, everyone :) So, yes, I realize that was possibly the shortest chapter ever, and it was sort of a filler, but sort of not a filler. I promise the next chapter will be more interesting, in fact, a lot more interesting... so keep reading, subscribing and commenting! I love you all :)
-Pigzxo