Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

A Friend Who Doesn't Think He Should Be A Friend

"Ring, for the love of god, ring damnit!" Tyler shouted, staring down at the phone in his hand. Rudy glanced towards him, mildly amused, as he pulled the milk carton out of the fridge. Tyler turned to meet his gaze and whispered in a broken voice, "Why isn't she calling? Why doesn't she want to see me?"

Rudy shrugged as he poured milk into his mouth. The white liquid spilled down his chin, across his neck and down his shirt. He was completely unconcerned as he put the jug down.

"Do you know anything?"

"I've never even met the bitch, why would I know something?" Rudy groaned, as if they had been at this for hours. In theory, they had been at it for hours. Years even if one cared to count all the times Tyler had moaned on about not seeing Marrietta in front of Rudy.

Tyler sighed and stood up. He took the milk jug from his friend's hands and poured the last drops down his throat. His stubble caught more of the liquid than his tongue did.

If someone was looking for a hurricane, they would have been sure it had blasted straight through Tyler's apartment. Clothes, both male and female, littered the floor. Dirty dishes were piled in the sink, but also high on the coffee table and magazines that had been hidden for Edward's sake laid in clear view on every surface.

Rudy glanced around curiously, "When's the last time you have a girl up here?"

"Last night," Tyler replied, thrown slightly by the change of topic, "Why?"

"Because I'm surprised they slept with you after seeing this mess. You should like... call a maid or something," Rudy answered, sounding fairly disgusted himself. He laid a hand on his friend's shoulder and said, "You know, she's just a girl. You're going to have to move on."

"Why?" Tyler moaned, "I've never had to move on. I saw her the first day of high school, I fell in love with her, I asked her out, she broke up with me and I pined after her for eight years. Then, she comes hurtling back into my life, becomes mine again, finds out our entire relationship was a fucking lie, asks to just be friends, I agree, it's going great, I almost have her and then... no warning, no nothing. She's just... gone."

He let the word hang out in the air for a moment and then slammed his fist down on the counter. If it had not been solid marble, his hand would have gone straight through. Rudy winced and began, "Hey, man, maybe it's for the best-"

"How the fuck would this be for the best?" Tyler screamed. Rudy didn't move a muscle. Tyler shook his head, a desperate attempt to stave off the tears he knew were coming. Barely allowing himself to breathe, he choked out, "I've known she's the one for my entire life and I got a second chance with her. Tell me why she's gone. Tell me what or who she found..."

"Me," Rudy whispered.

"No, not you! God! He's got to give me something. Tell me something..." Tyler trailed off, completely oblivious to the fact that Rudy had already answered his question. He paused, unsure of what to say and then added, "Do you think... do you think he's punishing me for what I did to Jennifer?"

Rudy licked his lips cautiously. "Dude, I don't know anything. I can't tell you anything about any of the girls you've dated. But... I can tell you need help. Maybe you should get it."

"Are you suggesting that I-"

"Yes," Rudy said, very calmly, "Go to a therapist, do something. Tyler, it's killing me to see you like this over that girl. She's... she's not the entire world, you know."

"She's my entire world."

Rudy swore, "Get help." Then he through the milk carton to the ground and stalked out of the apartment, leaving Tyler to stare after him, wondering. Wondering what life would be like without Marrietta. Wondering what life would be like without Rudy. Wondering if maybe, just maybe, he actually needed help.