Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

The Ending Of The New Beginning

"You didn't have to do that," Marrietta said softly as she slipped onto the couch beside Tyler.

"He hit you," Tyler replied simply.

She shook her head, "Not hard. It wasn't as if he was trying to hurt me, he just wanted me to leave. He knew that I wouldn't do that if he didn't take drastic measures. He only did it so that I would go back to you."

"And that makes it okay?" He didn't look at her, but his whole body shook as the words came out. His hands trembled violently as he reached for a magazine that had been left on the coffee table. Rolling it up, just to have something to do, he added, "Do you think its okay when he hits you?"

"That was the only time he-"

"I don't give a fuck!" Tyler exclaimed. The pain in his voice was evident. Liquid sparkled in his eyes but he had too much pride to let his tears flow. "I can't believe that you would... you would date someone, something like that."

Marrietta bit her lip and whispered, "Tyler, don't say that. He's your best friend."

"Not anymore. Never again," He rubbed his face absently and threw down the magazine, "First thing tomorrow he's off the team for getting high during the season. He should know better."

She opened her mouth to reply, but decided to drop it instead. In all her years of knowing him, of being in love with him, she had never seen him so broken. Somehow the combination of his face when she had left him on the football field and his anger at her when she said she couldn't marry him didn't even come close to what he seemed to be like now.

To try and bridge the gap between them, Marrietta placed one of her hands carefully on his shoulder. He shrugged it off. With a sigh, she said, "Are you mad at me for being with him? Because you should know that he and I were never like the two of us. And... I know we said we just wanted to be friends... but... I love you."

Still, Tyler did not move.

"I'll always love you," Marrietta was close to tears now as she stared at the impassive expression on Tyler's face. "I never stopped loving you because not being with you was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I don't... I hardly even remember what it was like before you."

Nothing.

"Please!" She cried, tears scurrying down her face like mice trying to get away from a cat. She grabbed him by the arm and shook him, his lack of reaction both shocking and terrifying her. "Tyler, you're everything to me. Do you not understand that? Do you not get that? It's been months and I'm finally telling you that I love you! Why don't you respond? Why don't you say anything?"

"Because you're not my Marrietta anymore."

"Excuse me?"

Tyler sighed and looked at her for the first time in what seemed like hours. His eyes were dry and his face emotionless. "You've changed, I've changed, the world's changed... nothing's the same anymore."

"What are you saying?"

He hesitated for a moment and then said, "This is the end."