Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

Epilogue-Part Two Of Five-Marrietta

April 20th, Current Year

"So your last job... it was at Hooters?" The interviewer raised one eyebrow as he placed Marrietta's resume back on his desk. She tensed. He asked, "Why, exactly, was a brilliant young girl like yourself working there?"

"They were the only place hiring. And I had to make rent and on top of that I needed some way to make money because my ex-fiance, Rodger, thought that I was working at a corporation like this and when he found out I wasn't he dumped me and... you... don't really care, do you?" Marrietta replied breathlessly.

The interviewer only smiled, "It's okay." He paused and glanced down at the papers in front of him one more time. Pursing his lips, he said, "You're much too qualified to be working as a security here. But we do have a paid internship available with one of our top lawyers. Would you be interested in that?"

Marrietta had to fight the urge to hug him. Her eyes lit up like fireworks in the night sky as she replied hurriedly, "Yes, yes, of course! That would be... absolutely amazing! Thank you."

The man nodded his head, "Your welcome. You start Monday, don't be late and go directly to the front desk. And as you leave, can you please tell the next candidate to come in?"

She smiled and nodded before leaving the office.

***

April 24th, Current Year

Marrietta walked pointedly down the street towards Second Cup. She had her first day planned out perfectly in her mind: Get her coffee, show up at work, make friends with her new boss, look over the case, surprise him with her brilliance and get promoted immediately. Of course, she knew the chances of that happening were pretty slim, but she held the hope within herself anyways.

There was a long line at the coffee place and only two people working behind the counter. Marrietta sighed and checked her watch. She still had half an hour to get to work, but having only taken the walk once, she could not accurately estimate the time it would take to get there.

It took ten minutes for her to get to the front of the line and when she did, she ordered without even looking up, "One medium coffee, please."

"Your name?"

"Marrietta."

"Pretty name."

Marrietta looked up and saw a man about her age standing behind the counter. He was calmly writing her name on the cup in neat cursive, the smallest smile playing across his lips. As he slid the cup towards his co-worker, he glanced back at her with enchanting hazel eyes and said, "That'll be four dollars please, Marrietta."

Digging into her wallet, she handed him four dollar bills and shifted over to the pick-up side of the counter. She could have sworn the guy was staring at her out of the corner of his eye as he took the next customer's order. She had to admit he was cute and a little forward.

"Marrietta?"

She nodded and took the cup from the barista's hand. Taking a sip, she noticed that her name looked unusually long and she held it away from her face. Written across the side of the cup was her name, the name 'Dante' and a phone number.

Looking towards the man at the counter, he smiled at her and motioned with his hand for her to turn the cup around. She did and written on the back were the words: Yes, I do, in fact, believe I'm attractive enough that you'll call. But I also think you're really beautiful, so give me a chance?

Marrietta smiled to herself and then up at Dante. He raised an eyebrow as if asking if she would call and she shrugged before turning and heading out of the coffee shop.