Status: Finished :)

I Didn't Know I Could Break Your Heart

Epilogue-Part Five Of Five-The Football Field

May 17th, Current Year

A warm spring breeze blew across the field. Litter skittered across the stands without caring how much noise it was making. On one side of the field there stood a woman with vibrant red hair. She was carrying snow white roses cradled in her arms like a baby and she walked forward with an absolute certainty.

On the other side of the field there stood a man with shaggy blonde hair. His blue eyes gleamed from between his bangs, but his lips showed no hint of a smile. He had with him a dozen white lilies and he let them drag across the ground as he walked forward. He seemed sad to have to be there.

The two people met at the fifty yard line and nodded to each other silently. She lay down her flowers first and stepped back. His eyes never left her face as she did so and then, taking a huge breath, he laid down his flowers as well.

From their pockets, they pulled an identical picture. It was of them standing side by side in a archway covered by roses in matching formalwear. They were smiling and holding on to each other like nothing else in the world mattered. And at the time it hadn't mattered.

Letting go of his picture, he let it flutter to the ground on top of the flowers. The woman placed her picture there carefully, not wanting it to blow away in the wind. When she stepped back, she nodded and said, "I guess it's official then. We're dead."

"You don't know how much this hurts," He whispered.

She nodded, "I do."

All they had to do was reach out and touch each other. Then it would be like nothing had ever happened. They would be back at prom again, dancing the night away, laughing and kissing under the stars. He saw this image reflected in her eyes and he smacked his lips.

The phone in his pocket rang, killing the silent and depressed mood. Hers rang seconds later and they both looked down at the caller ID simultaneously. With smiles spreading across their faces, they repeated the names on the phones.

"Jen."

"Dante."

He nodded, "Have fun. And you're babysitting Edward tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah, no problem," She replied, "Just remember Jen's going to kill you if you fool around with any of the strippers at your bachelor party."

He laughed, "I know. See you around, Mary."

"Bye, Tyler."

The two turned away from each other and answered their phones. The woman immediately smiled like she had at prom nine years ago. The man started whispering sweet nothings into his phone. They were in love again. Just not with each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi there :) I would just like to thank all of you for reading my story, sbuscribing and of course commenting. I hope you realize that this ending isn't mean because the story wasn't ever really about Tyler and Marrietta. It was about closure from everything that's happened in everyone's life and I think that's shown quite clearly in the epilogues. Whatever I decide to write next, I hope you all stick with me and read that too.
With love,
Pigzxo