Disguises

Greyson.

With a loud grunt, I’m tackled to the ground, dirt and mud making its home in my mouth. I cough it up and get up immediately just in time to see our running back, Aaron, make a touch down. The crowd cheers and screams with joy and I sigh in relief.

I had just managed to pass it off before I was thrown to the ground. For a second I thought the pass was no good but apparently I did just fine. Running my hand over my helmet, I rip all the dirt off and clear my vision while walking back to the side lines.

Someone shouts my name but I don’t bother looking, it’s probably someone that I don’t care about. I take off my helmet and rest it on the ground beside me. I don’t bother sitting because it’ll only just make me all the more exhausted. I don’t know why, it just does.

I pace from side to side while watching our defense. One of our best starters is out with an ankle injury and I’m worried shitless that it’ll cause a lot of problems. We’re also up against one of the best teams around and beating them is just the boost of confidence our team needs.

A moment later, I hear it again, someone calling me, and I can just barely make out who it is. The crowd is too loud. The announcer is speaking. The guys around me are screaming and the voice is just like a whisper. It sounds extremely familiar so I look behind me to see Vee standing at the fence, waving wildly at me with a grin on his face.

My heart stops right then and there. Vee’s here? He’s watching me. My eyes widen and shit, now I’m nervous. What if I mess up? What if we loose and Vee thinks I’m a total loser? What if I look like a complete idiot right now? Ugh!

I smile and wave back. I can just barely hear him shout a good luck over the crowd before walking with his friends to a empty place in the stands. I look away and take a deep breath. It’s my time to go back in so I throw on my helmet and pray that I don’t make myself look like a complete and utter fool in front of Vee.

~

We walk off the field with our heads down low. Groaning, I fall onto the bench in the boys locker room and stare at Aaron who is sitting across from me with a pout on his face that could make anyone sad. Coach walks in and sighs, “Boys it wasn’t bad. We lost by two touch downs.”

“We should have won,” I grunt, starting to take off my pads. “That pass I threw to Aaron in the third quarter sucked.”

“Don’t go blaming yourself, Greyson.” Coach throws a hand on my shoulder. “All of you did fine. Compared to the other schools, we kicked ass.”

Everyone chuckles because it’s true. That team has been kicking ass all season but still…we should have won. We’ve worked hard all year.

After changing I work my way back to my car. I say work because it was work. My entire body is sore from being tackled so much by those walking coke machines. I swear that’s what they were. It isn’t until I’m in the car that I remember who was at the game to watch me lose.

I bite my lip. Shit.

Vee was there. He saw us lose. He saw me lose.

I press on the gas a little rougher than needed and peel out. I probably looked like a total loser. Ugh! Somebody just shoot me now. I embarrassed myself in front of Vee. Vee of all people. Somebody up there must hate me.

I get home and make it inside just in time for my cell phone to go off. I wave to my mom and head upstairs while staring at my phones screen. Biting my lip, I answer it, “Hey.”

“Hey, good game!” Vee calls from the other line.

“We lost Vee.”

“So? You did really good, Greyson.”

Is that angels singing or am I hearing things? Vee just complimented me. My night has been made.

I chuckle, “I didn’t but thanks.”

“You’re too modest,” Vee sighs. “So what are you up to?”

“I just got home,” I reply, tossing my things into my room and kicking off my shoes. I crawl into bed and groan once my muscles are finally able to relax.

“Oh? Do you want to talk later so you can rest and get a shower?” Vee asks. “I don’t want to bother-”

“No,” I interrupt, not wanting to get off the phone with Vee even if I am sweaty and sore. Putting up with the pain will be worth it. “You aren’t bothering me at all.”

I’m not really sure how long Vee and I talk but eventually we have to get off because our phones began to die. We say goodbye and I frown afterwards. I could stay up all day and night talking to Vee. I wish that we could.

Sighing, I roll out of bed and look at the digital clock to see that it’s one in the morning. Thank god it’s Friday.

I slip into the bathroom to take a shower and change into a pair of boxers before going back to lie down. It doesn’t take long for me to pass out.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was definitely a filler chapter, sorry

Comment&Subscribe?