Blackout

Bust

Monday 19th July 2013, 21:30pm

The house had never looked better. Sara had to give her mother that. They lived in a fairly suburban area on the outskirts of Media City, where there were only detached houses and nice neighbours that kept their gardens looking clean and were kind and civil to everyone. Sara had never minded where she lived before and was fully aware that while some people lived in much better places there were also a lot more people who were forced to endure much worse. Never before had she felt actually guilty for where she lived. She hated how Jude had not only made her worried for the night’s events but also extremely guilty for the luxurious home she returned too.

“Why don’t you have a drink Sara, or at least try and look less grumpy. You’ll scare away our guests,” her mum chided her after she had discovered the corner Sara had hid in.

Sara could only smile and do as her mum asked. She couldn’t tell her what she really felt or what was preying on her mind. Her mother was dressed at her best wearing one of her most expensive evening gowns and flaunting a very extravagant necklace. The blue and white material of her dress matched the similar colored lights and ribbons decorating the house. The hall and lounges were spotless and even the garden and miniature fountain were all lit up like a Christmas tree. Sara was clothed in her best dress and heels too and normally would have at least tried to enjoy herself but today she didn’t feel in the partying mood at all.

Trailing behind her mother was, Auntie Nicole, Luther’s mother. She was dressed nicely but wasn’t wearing her usual make up and Sara could tell from her red eyes that she had been crying. Nicole stuck close to her mum as she hid in her shadow like a little child afraid to leave their mother’s side. Wherever Sara’s mother went, Nicole followed. It was quite an appalling sight and it took Sara a while before she dared to approach her.

“Auntie Nicole, have you seen Luther,” Sara ventured softly as if a loud voice would damage the woman.

“I think he’s outside,” Nicole replied, nervously clearing her throat. Sara smiled a thank you and watched as Nicole then looked straight over her head. Sara followed her gaze to the bar just in front of the kitchen, where Luther’s dad was slouching. He was drinking, eagerly gulping back the alcohol. Even from a distance Sara could see his stressed marked face and the bags under his eyes. Where had her dashing young Uncle gone?

Sara sighed heavily as she snuck outside. Luther was sitting at the edge of his fountain with his head in his hands. He didn’t look like he needed company but Sara’s curiosity and concern got the better of her and she sat down beside him.

“What’s up cousin?” Sara asked as she playfully nudging his side. The serious and clouded eyes that stared up at Sara quickly shocked her out of her smile. Without saying another word Sara pulled him into a hug and instead waiting for him to speak.

“I can’t believe this is all happening Sar,” he frowned sadly as he picked at the grass in front of them.

“I know the whole super computer thing must be really taking a toll on your family.” Luther looked at her as if she was crazy.

“Super computer? No, didn’t your mum or dad tell you? They didn’t say anything about us going bust? They didn’t mention the fact that my dad has secretly been hiding the fact that we’ve been in a ton of debt for the past several months?” Sara didn’t know what to say. Seeing her stricken expression Luther instantly lowered his voice. “I shouldn’t really be angry. This whole thing is really my fault,” and he hung his head again. “If I hadn’t asked for all those expensive laptops and mobiles, then this would never have happened. I should have just stuck with what I needed and the first models of everything. I can’t remember the last time I bought a mobile because it was broken. I didn’t need any of it. I can’t even look at my ePod now when I think about our lives now.”

“Oh come on Luther. This can hardly be all your fault. You’re not responsible for all of the money in your family. It’s not as if you buy everything you want.”

“Sara, the desk in my room has an app that allows me to text, fleet, make calls and find out the major headlines in the news. Face it; my house and my family are nothing without Gadgerts r’us’’. We’re going to have to sell everything, move and maybe even change our name. The press will have a field day. I can just imagine the headlines now…” Sara stopped listening. Luther had tossed his mobile on the ground as he spoke. He had then taken out a lighter from his pocket and was making out as if he were going to set the poor thing on fire. But it wasn’t Luther’s typical dramatic act that had Sara frozen.

“Like I said we’ll have to sell everything. If that doesn’t work then it can all just burn for all I care. We need to start afresh and a new. A clean break. As far I’m concerned I am sick to death of these sell out tech companies. Do we want to buy the new Strawberry? No! No more buying this and that. From today on wards I no longer want to take after my dad. I think I’d rather be a teacher or maybe a movie producer that’s harmless enough…”

“Wait!” Sara interrupted impatiently. “I get that your having a bit of a depressive breakdown at the moment, and don’t get me wrong, you have every right too. Can you just rewind a second and repeat what you just said but slowly?”

“About being a movie producer?”

“No. I mean what you were saying about everything can just burn?”

“Oh, I was just saying that we’re going to try again. Start afresh and all that. Well we will as soon as my mum manages to convince my dad to stop being so stubborn and let go of the business.”

Sara was practically jumping in her seat. She knew it! Well at least she thought she knew or had an idea of what Jude, her dad and the rest of the organization was planning for tonight.

“Luther,” Sara exclaimed as she took him by the shoulders. “I really need to talk to my dad right now about… something. You’re going to be alright here your own aren’t you?”

Her cousin nodded numbly while still playing idly with the lighter. “I thought I saw Uncle Kevin go upstairs a couple seconds ago with my dad. And Sara,” Luther added grabbing her arm as she made to leave. “Don’t be like the rest of them.”

“Like who?”

“Like my dad, your dad, Taylor, Nathan or Nina even.”

“Nina?”

“You don’t know about Nina? Seriously Sara, when was the last time you checked Lifebook page?” Sara rolled her eyes. “Nina’s been suspended from school and was apparently not far from being expelled too. It turns out that over half of the assignments and exams we’ve done this year, Nina has cheated on by copying essays from the Internet and hacking into the school’s system during exams”

“When did this happen?” Sara exclaimed.

“About three hours ago. Everyone’s posting and fleeting about it on Lifebook and Flitter already,” Luther sighed checking his mobile to make sure. “Anyway that’s not the point. I was saying don’t be like them. Gadgets’ r’ Us’ is not as amazing as it seems.”

Sara was surprised. Her dad would have been loving his nephew right now. “I won’t be,” she smiled shocked at how much she meant those words. She gave him one more hasty hug before she rushed back into the house. She needed to talk to her dad and find out if her wild assumption was true or not. Sara would hate to think of what would happen if on top of everything else that was happening in her crazy world, her dad’s organization was planning to blow up SIM head quarters with the super computer prototype inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
This should be the last chapter and I hope anyone who has subscribed to this story has enjoyed it so far. I'm definitely proud of it but would love some feedback or advice, I'm a bit worried there's too much dialogue? I also would love people's opinion on whether they think this story is satirical - whether it really criticises the theme of technology? x