Status: Thank you for reading.

Just to Live

Ridiculous Anticipated Déjà Vu

The aroma of pancakes woke Tabitha up from sleeping. Rubbing her eyes, her stomach growled at the strong smell of blueberry pancakes. “Why can I smell it all the way up here?” she asked herself.

The first thing she saw when she turned her head was a table sitting in front of her with a breakfast tray of blueberry pancakes, water, and strawberry syrup. Next to the tray was a large gift-wrapped box. Contemplating on what was inside the box, Tabitha ate her pancakes with a childlike glee. It had been a while since she woke up to her favorite breakfast food.

After devouring her breakfast, she walked over to the box. There was a small note on top of it.

ERIKA TOLD ME IT’S YOUR BIRTHDAY. IT WAS HER IDEA TO GET THIS FOR YOU. I USED MY MONEY THOUGH. HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY. I DIDN’T TELL ANYONE.

-BRIAN

P.S. I’M SORRY!


Grinning a bit, Tabitha tore the gift-wrap off and opened the cardboard box. Inside, she saw brand new books from her favorite author. Sighing in appreciation, she changed into her uniform, tied her hair up hastily, stepped into her moccasins, and ran down the steps to the kitchen. When she found it was empty, she jogged into the dining room, hoping to see Brian.

Her luck worked well with her for she found Brian sitting at the table eating pancakes with Jimmy and Zacky. She squealed delightfully, running to Brian to give him a kiss on the cheek. He raised one of his eyebrows in surprise.

“Thank you. And you’re forgiven,” she said only to him before going to the Relaxation room.

Zacky watched as she ran out of the room as fast as she could. He turned his attention back to Brian. “Explain?”

Brian grinned happily. “She forgives me!”

“Well yay!” Jimmy cheered.

On the same particular night, Tabitha arrived at her room later than usual. She had to help wash dishes since it was her turn for the week. She could have used her birthday as an excuse so she wouldn’t have to stay up two hours after, but she found herself always having fun when pairing up with Vanessa. For instance, they engaged in a small bubble war where she ultimately won, but it only meant they had something else to clean before they could go up to bed.

Tabitha didn’t see the box set on her bed until she changed into her sleeping clothes. This box was also gift-wrapped. “Again?” she sighed. Still, out of common curiosity, she opened the box and found a small note inside. “Again?” she muttered unenthusiastically.

GO TO MY OFFICE.

-MATTHEW


“Strange,” she yawned, tying her hair back up. All she wanted was to lie under the fluffy covers of her comforter and drift off to a dream world where she wouldn’t have to worry about a thing. Sadly, she had to obey her superior’s demand no matter how exhausted she was.

Matthew knew Tabitha was in his office even when he was busily typing on his keyboard. He needed to finish typing an e-mail message to the manager of a recently popular underground band, offering a lunch with the manager and band so he could try to snag them to 6661 Records before any rivaling record labels could.

Tabitha felt appalled that Matthew’s office was so messy when she cleaned it five hours earlier. As usual, papers littered the floor and empty water bottles covered his desk. She had the sudden urge to begin to clean his office again, but she refused knowing how tired she would be after finishing.

To catch his attention, Tabitha cleared her throat. She wanted him to tell her what he needed to so she could return to her room.

“Sit down,” he told her without looking up from the monitor. She did so without arguments or nasty looks. “You didn’t tell me it’s your 18th birthday,” he mentioned, sounding extremely bored.

“It’s not an important day,” she yawned.

“It is so,” he replied firmly, but with composure. The e-mail sent successfully, allowing him to focus solely on her. “As a present, I hired an instructor so you can get your GED.” Tabitha didn’t say a word. Matthew continued. “The instructor will arrive tomorrow at 10am sharp and will leave by four. Don’t worry about your salary, nothing’s going to change.”

Awe glimmered in her eyes. Matthew caught the emotions she wanted to display, but kept in. That hard shell began to diminish.

‘Finally!’ he cried out in his mind.

He explained her subject schedule and workload in full detail. During his explanation, Tabitha felt something wasn’t right. “Why are you doing so much for me?” she questioned. The question was on the dividing line with a demand. “You hired me back after I quit and you’re allowing me to get my diploma.”

‘No!’ he pleaded.

“Because you deserve it,” he expressed, hoping she saw the truth.

“In other words, it’s pity. I don’t need it,” she spat.

“It isn’t pity. If it was, I would look at you as though you were a handicapped puppy. This is respect. I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced it and I frankly don’t care. You’re getting used to it now. You do so much for the ones you love and you deserve something for yourself. Great things will happen to you. All I’m doing is giving you a little push.”

“Thank you then. I’m going to sleep,” she muttered listlessly and left the office without dismissal. It was daring and she could have lost her job, but she knew that would not have happened. Matthew stressed before that she was under a contract and she was “bound,” so she couldn’t leave for any reason.

“That fucker better have put that box there,” Matthew growled, cracking his knuckles.

Another box sat on Tabitha’s bed when she trudged back into her room. “This is getting ridiculous!” she shouted, slamming her door shut. She half expected some of women to tell her to shut up so they could sleep, but she didn’t hear a peep from anyone. That was surprising.

Retreating to her bed, she saw that this box wasn’t gift-wrapped. It was about one inch thick, rectangular, and white. Shrugging, she lifted the top.

YOUR SENIOR PROM YOU WERE NEVER ABLE TO HAVE.

She put the note aside, taking the dress out to admire it. It was of a royal purple color, adorned with silver flowery designs. The dress was also strapless and long enough to touch the floor, yet she knew that if she wore it, tripping would not occur. The mask was black and it somehow reminded her of a butterfly. After minutes of basking in her expensive presents, she read the note again, struck with enchantment. She was going to attend a dance, prom. She could have fun for one night and not worry about anything else but that. She felt like a teenager.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for commenting. ^-^
~~~~
the-quiet-one
mistery gurl
kierstlo
PinklyVengeance
~~~~

This is my favorite chapter so far.

Hi. If you aren't familiar with my author's note habits, usually when I describe clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc in the chapters, that means that I found a picture of that item. And I provide links of the item. I do that just in case someone's interested in whatever I talk about because sometimes I find them off of legit websites that sell it. Soooo, here you go if you want a purple masquerade dress or mask!

Purple Dress
Image

Butterfly Masquerade Mask
Image