Status: Thank you for reading.

Just to Live

It’s Just A Dance Hall Drug

Matthew stood by the door, peering over at the elaborate decorations already lingering on the high walls leading towards the dining room where the party would take place later that night. The lights in the hallway were already dimmed to give off a cosmic effect. Even a red carpet was rolled out, covering the usual glossy mahogany wood floor.

He thought back on the last week and how much work it took to set up the masquerade ball. The cost of inventory wasn’t a problem since he had a hefty supply of money. On the other hand, sending out invitations was time consuming. He had to work vigorously with Brian to make sure he invited the correct crowd of people, all the newly graduated high school alumni from Huntington Beach and Ocean View high schools and select college students.

The same weekend the masquerade ball was to happen, he decided to leave for a weekend getaway to Vegas with his best friends. He’d never left the mansion alone without leaving someone of authority to watch over all his employees. This meant his maids would rule the house for a bit. It was a precarious decision, but he had enough trust that when he returned to the mansion Monday morning, everything would be in order.

“Eleanor, please look after them. They’re still young. I think they’ll tear this place down,” Matthew sighed.

Eleanor nodded with a considerate smile. That smile reminded Matthew of Miss Annabelle’s always kind smile. “And most are in their 20’s. Don’t worry. I think you should worry more about your money.”

“Yeah. You know I love to gamble.”

“I do. Just so I know, Maria and her daughter are to remain on the third floor?”

“Yeah. There’s a living room and fridge up there. They should be able to spend the entire night watching movies.”

“Matt! Let’s go!” Zacky screeched from the gates of the mansion. Johnny began to forcefully press the car horn until Matthew sighed and waved his hand over to them.

“Anyways,” he said, shaking his head. “Have fun tonight.”

At the start of the time the ball began, Eleanor and a couple women let the dance goers enter their home, first confirming each person who walked onto the red carpet had an invitation and the proper required attire for the ball. It seemed that those who were invited arrived directly on time. No one dared to attempt to arrive “fashionably late.”

The DJ played and spun a medley of random but fun songs that everyone enjoyed. He even incorporated Rock music into the mix coyly. Because of his impressive scratching and remixes, there wasn’t a single person sitting down at any of the tables.

Tabitha danced with people she didn’t know, laughed at jokes people cracked, and cheered when the DJ played songs she recognized. She was having the time of her life not having to worry about anyone or anything except to have fun and take advantage of that night as much as she possibly could.

Vanessa held two cups of punch and gave one to Tabitha who graciously accepted the offered cup and drank all of the liquid once her lips touched the lid of the cup.

“Having fun?!” Vanessa shouted over the loud music so loud that it spewed vibrations throughout the ground.

“Yeah! This is so much fun!” Tabitha replied back as piercingly as she could.

Abruptly, the DJ whirred down to dissatisfied whispers from the partygoers. “Food’s here,” was all the DJ had to say. Everyone immediately left the dance floor to sit down at their tables to consume the delicious food cooked entirely from all the maids at manor.

“This is really good,” complimented a girl who sat next to Tabitha. They didn’t know each other, but both exuded a friendly aura.

“Thanks!” smiled Tabitha. “I cooked it along with some other people.”

“Man, for real? You guys are amazing! I’ve never had chicken parm this good before.”

“It’s that good? Thank you! I have to tell the other girls later.”

The girl nodded and continued to eat her plate of food.

Tabitha turned her head to look at Vanessa who gave her a thumbs up and a gentle and encouraging push of her shoulder. “You know, the slow songs are coming up. Did you find a boy to dance with?”

A very noticeable hearty blush powdered Tabitha’s cheeks. “Nuh uh,” she responded quietly.

Vanessa narrowed her eyes and chastised her blushing friend. “What is wrong with you woman! I saw you talking to some boys before.”

“I don’t see your point.”

“Stop playing stupid. One of them has to ask you to dance later.”

Tabitha shook her head, refusing to believe her friend’s statement. She didn’t want to dance to a slow song with a boy. She was perfectly okay with dancing with girls. Being in such close proximity with a person of the opposite gender made her nervous and uncomfortable. How was she supposed to dance with a boy when she had no experience?

Her question remained unanswered when Dance Hall Drug from Boys Like Girls cascaded to an end. There was silence from the DJ for a few seconds before he slowly let Lifehouse’s song You And Me begin its simple and airy notes on the guitar.

From all around her, Tabitha saw couples lean against each other and sway to the soft music. She sighed, frowning a bit. She scanned the crowd and saw Vanessa dancing slowly with someone. She was easily recognizable due to her red hair.

Sighing again, Tabitha embarked on walking back to her table, reaching behind her head to untie the black ribbon that kept her masquerade mask on her face.

“Excuse me?”

Tabitha turned around, her hand still on the bow of the ribbon. A boy much taller than her wearing a James Bond black tuxedo and Zorro mask peered down upon her with a chivalrous smile.

“Yes?” she replied, unsure whether to continue to walk away or not.

“Why aren’t you dancing right now?” he inquired, sliding his hands into his pants pockets.

It was out of instinct that Tabitha felt the need to lie. She shrugged her bare shoulders. “I don’t feel like it.” She shocked herself by how easily she was able to fib.

“So, would you mind dancing with me then?” He added another smile to persuade her.

She bit her bottom lip. She wanted to dance to the song with someone so she wouldn’t feel lonesome, but she really did not know how to dance.

The boy saw the look on her face, assuming that she wasn’t very much so experienced to dancing along with slow songs. “I’ll lead you,” he offered, placing his right hand, palm up to her.

A bit shaky, Tabitha took his offer and let the stranger walk with her to the dance floor where countless other couples were basking in the romanticism of the moment.

Tabitha and her dance partner glided across the floor, moving gently and swiftly.

“See, it’s not that bad,” he whispered.

“It isn’t,” she smiled, amazed at the fact.

The song ended, but Tabitha didn’t want to let go. She actually liked the innocent physical contact with the polite boy. She knew it was nearing the end of the night, nearing the end of the ball. Sighing softly, she released her comfortable grip of his neck. His hold of her waist didn’t loosen though.

“They’re playing another song. Do you know this one?” he asked.

“It’s Richard Marx’s Now And Forever,” she mumbled.

He didn’t say anything else.

Once the song reached its descendo, every person clapped their hands. Obviously, the song was the closing of the ball.

“Hey,” the boy called, making Tabitha look up at him. He smiled again, touching her still blushing cheeks with his hands. His lips touched hers softly before he left. Tabitha signed dreamily, wishing she was knew his name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for commenting. ^-^
~~~~
RandumbPanic
the-quiet-one
~~~~

*Title credit goes to Boys Like Girls' Dance Hall Drug

Update 2 of 2 of the weekend
December 19, 2010