I Can Taste the Failure on Your Lips

Chapter 1

I didn't plan to run away. It just happened.

Parents never understand their children. They think up this ideal kid of who they think their child should be, and if we are not like that, we're a disappointment. And to my parents, that's what I was. I had "average" grades and tried to do my best, not A+ and perfect attendance. So that night, when I couldn't take the disappointment stares and shaking heads, I packed my clothes and started off down the road.

The cold crisp air of November bit my cheeks, making me shiver in my jacket. I lifted my bag higher on my shoulder and tucked my hands under my arms, and tried my best to see the road ahead. I knew my parents would worry, and freak out, wondering where i have gone, but I made my choice. I walked to the nearest park and found the old playground, with the squeaky swings and sat down, letting my legs sway. Personally, I think this was a good choice, getting away.

I stared up at the moon, seeing the crescent points, watching the clouds roll over making stars disappear behind them. The disturbance of mulch took me out of my moon gaze as I glanced over. The moon gave enough light for me to see someone had joined me on the old playground, kicking around the wood chips on the ground, mumbling incoherent words. I took my gaze off the person and turned back to the moon, giving a silent prayer nothing bad would happen.

"So you come to the park at night too?" they asked. The deep voice gave me a clue it was a boy, a teenager. I removed my gaze again and turned to see the boy sit down in the swing beside mine.

"Only tonight. I ran away." I said quietly, kicking mulch away.

"Running away doesn't solve problems." he mumbled.

"Neither does staying in my house." I replied. The boy didn't reply, I didn't expect him too. I didn't expect anyone to know my life. Not even my parents.

"Were are you going?" he asked quietly.

"I don't know." I responded just as quietly.

"Then how do you know it's the right decision?" he asked turning to me. I turned towards him, his shaggy brown hair coming down over his deep brown eye's.

"I don't." My answer couldn't have been more of the truth. I looked back at the moon and stared for a long time till I could feel the cold making my eyes water.

"Oliver." he stated. I looked over to him puzzled as his hand hung in the cold air, a small smile on his mouth. I reached my hand over and gripped it. The warmth spread over my cold palm.

"Alex." His smile increased as he let my hand go and stood. rubbing his hands together.

"Com on." he said turning his head towards the street.

"Why?" I asked not moving from my spot.

"Because if you freeze to death out here, I will feel pretty bad plus, my DNA is on your hand, they might think I killed you." He said, looking down at me. I thought about it, and looked to the moon again, looking for an answer, but it was hidden behind the clouds as if ignoring my silent question.

I nodded slowly and stood, grabbing my bag and dropping it on my shoulder. I hope I made the right choice.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3