I Can Taste the Failure on Your Lips

Chapter 4

"Alex? What are you doing here?" Mrs. Sykes looked at me from the hall.

"Uhmm......." I waited. Scared to say anymore, afraid she would make me go home.

"Wait! How do you my mother?" Oliver questioned looking back at me.

"Well....Sh-" I was cut off by Mrs. Sykes.

"School honey." Mrs. Sykes admitted. "She is a student...but why is she here?" She questioned.

"I fou-"I cut him by stepping forward.

"I ran away last night. Oliver found me in he park, and made me come with him." I said quickly. "Please don't make me go back." I begged, hoping she would know.

"You’re the one they are looking for?" She asked and I nodded.

"Whoa! You’re a runaway?" Matt asked looking at me. I looked over at him watching as he held up his hand. "High Five! That’s epic!" He laughed and walked passed Mrs. Sykes to the kitchen were Tom and a man was sitting, watching.

"Come here, lets talk in the living room, Oliver go somewhere else." She said and walked my to a big room I guessed was the living room.

"Bu-" He started to stop. "Alright." he admitted and went to the kitchen. Mrs. Sykes pulled two doors together, shutting the room off and sat next to me on the couch.

"Now, let’s start from the beginning." she smiled and looked at me. I watched her carefully as I explained how I ran away after everything that happened and it made up my mind especially after what I did at school. "So your parents are really like that?" She asked me and I nodded confirming it. "Well, I understand why you rebelled." she smiled.

"Your not going to make me go back are you?" I asked.

"Oh lord no. Not if you don't want too." She said and stood. "I will not say anything; unless the police confront me personally." She said standing smiling, going towards the door. Mrs. Sykes Looked back at me and smiled as she pulled the door open suddenly and Matt, Oliver and Tom fell forward, catching themselves before they hit they ground. “Were you all eavesdropping?” She questioned.

“Yes…” They all groaned and looked at Mrs. Sykes.

“Well, you know what has to be done.” She smirked and walked pass them as they all shook their heads and Tom went back into the kitchen.

“Can we go eat first Mrs. S?” Matt asked.

“I don’t care, as long as you do it.” She explained and continued with her work. The man sitting at the table with Tom shook his head at the boys and went back to reading his paper.

“What do you have to do?” I asked standing.

“Clean my mom’s cars.” Oliver sighed and went to the door, pulling it open. “Want to go Tom?” Oliver yelled and Tom came running through the door. We all walked down the sidewalk, me with my hands buried in my jacket pockets, with my hood over my head, trying to keep warm.

“Cold?” Matt asked from beside me, his own hands in his pocket. I nodded quickly and tried to stay warm. “Oliver! Hurry up and get a car! I am tired of freezing my ass off for breakfast.” Matt yelled and smiled at me.

“I’m sorry!” he yelled back. We all hurried inside the little restaurant, and quickly sat down. A older woman in a faded yellow uniform came over smiling.

“Oliver, Tom, Matt.” She smiled and looked at me. “Hello, what’s your name?” She asked me.

“Alex.” I smiled and picked up a menu.

“Lovely! Okay, what do you all want today?”

“Warm pancakes! Stat Lucille!” Matt half yelled.

“Matt.” She said looking at him.

“Please?” He asked smiling at the older woman.

“Okay, and for you?” she asked.

“Uhmm, Pancakes would be fine.” I smiled and sat my menu down.

“Pancakes all around?” She asked and everyone nodded. “Okay, I’ll be back in a little bit.” She smiled and turned going to the back.

“I’m guessing you guys come here a lot?” I asked

“Ehh, yeah, plus it’s my aunt.” Matt said looking around. My phone was vibrating like crazy in my pocket, tickling my leg. I had a few missed calls from home, and texts from my mother asking “WHERE ARE YOU!?” but I didn’t care, I deleted them.

“What?” Everyone asked as they noticed my sad expression.

“Nothing, just my parents keep calling me.” I stated and put my phone down.

“Why not get a new one?” Tom asked looking at me from across the table.

Good idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to liikewhoally!
your pretty great for commenting:)