The Reason Why

Sweetest Day

"Cori, watch what you're doing!" I shouted over the counter of the back room where I was working on the latest candy creation.

It was Sweetest Day and one of the stupidest holidays to have been invented by the candy, flower, and card companies that I hated besides Valentine's Day. Why use a holiday to tell someone you love them? And why buy them material things to make them realize they love you? I never figured that out, or the size or the engagement.

That's besides the point, I'm Alexandria Jesse Davis, by the way. I owe this shop and am the technically head baker, candy-maker, person or what not. It was my family's shop in Romania where they were orginally from but after moving here, my parents who turned out to be huge gamblers, bet their fortune away and had to go into hiding.

So that left me in charge of this shop since I had no idea what they did when I wasn't around. They left it to me and my grandma in Romania moved here for a few months to show me how to run everything at 17. Being 22 now, I feel so much older making me feel awkward in dating situations and people who think I'm too serious.

"Alex, why don't you get out here and help the people then?" Cori snapped to which I untied my apron and slammed it down on the back table.

"Fine," I sighed walking out to the front as she walked past me with a half glare.

"Dude, if she really likes you it shouldn't matter," I heard a male voice talk to the person who walked into the store.

"Yeah but she wanted chocolates," I heard the other voice.

"It's a stupid holiday," The other brown haired one grumbled.

"Your friend's got a point," I mumbled looking down at the books I had to balance to figure out, being a manager, and owner and what not.

"I thought you're not supposed to voice your opinion," The blond haired looked up at me which I smirked.

"Shop owners aren't supposed to," My smirk grew, "But I hate this holiday and Valentine's day and I'm sick and tired of dealing with it and hearing about it."

"That's exactly what I think," The brown haired one smiled.

"Wow," The blond haired one rolled his eyes at us, "You two are perfect for each other."

"I'm Jonathan," He stuck out his head which caused me to smile.

"Alex," I shook his head, "You're friend's way too into wanting to be cliche."

"Patrick?" He questioned looking over at him then back at me, "Yeah, he thinks if he makes things right with one girl for this week, he'll leave a good impression and move on or something."

"Typical womanizer," I rolled my eyes to hear him chuckle. "But you, you're not hearing for a girl?'

"Why waste time with someone who doesn't want to just hear "I love you"?" He shrugged.

"Some girls are too materialistic," I smiled while Gabe, an employee brought out the chocolate covered strawberries I was working on.

"Wow," Jonathan's mouth dropped open, "Those look amazing."

"And taste amazing," I smiled fixing the fixture they were on.

"Did you make those?"

"Yeah," I smiled looking at how well they turned out, "This is my family's business. I took it over when I was 17."

"Wow."

"Yeah hard to believe I'm only 22 huh?" I smirked then looked back up at him.

"Some of us are more serious then others," He smiled at me.

"Hey, this will sound totally weird but do I know?" I questioned since he had one of those faces.

"Maybe. Are you a hockey fan?"

"Blackhawks fan since I was born."

"I'm the captain," He smirked lightly which I blushed since I should've known that but for some reason it wasn't clicking.

"Dude," I rolled my eyes, "I should've known that. Sorry you guys got beat by Detroit. I seriously hate the Red Wings."

"It's ok," He shrugged, "We're going to win the Stanley Cup this year."

"I know will," I smiled.

"Tazer!" Patrick Kane, which I know realized shouted.

"I've gotta go," He shifted, "It was nice meeting you."

"You too," I smiled at him watching him turn to leave, almost like in slow motion.