Status: One-Shot. Tell me how it was?

Save Me

1/1

The sun beat down on her sun glass-clad face. The last time I walked on this beach was with him. The cool ocean waves crashed in front of me and raced up the beach, stretching as far as they could, just inches from my toes, before retreating, sending up mist and foam. The glistening sun warmed my skin in the nearly cloudless sky, causing my skin to tingle. There was a slight breeze, but otherwise everything was calm. The waves before me made the only sound, but it was a soothing one.

As I walked over the black, numb rocks I only thought of that night, and the events that followed. I thought of how the breath of the ocean smelled like the cologne of him. He showed me his pearl white prisoners when he smiled that night, and in retrospect I wish I looked far, far away. Instead, I succumbed to the temptations of his cell.

The terrain became rougher as I approached the cliff. The waves became higher, the splashing more violent and before long I could not distinguish between the ocean's tears and my own. Every time the damp, harsh wind whipped my skin I felt as though I was back in the his bed; back underneath his statuesque physique, feeling the excitement of a forbidden romance tainted with regret; back wondering his name and back contained in the bars of his embrace. I told myself I did not love him. I told myself that was cruel.

Above the horizon the sea blended with the cloudless sky. Over her head she could hear the seagulls cackling. They were laughing at her; mocking her loneliness. There were children here before, laughing as they ran along the shore trying to get their amber kite to catch the wind. Now their giggles were replaces with the sound of her sorrowed sighs.
She was thirsty but couldn’t move. Her eyes were fixed on the motionless scene. She knew if she wandered along further, there was a little stall with a man wearing a stripy apron. He sold the sweetest ice creams on the sea front. They were always just the right consistency; thick, creamy and ice cold.

The ground beneath her was dry and dusty. It hadn’t rained for a month. The grass surrounding the worn down path had yellowed in the heat and scratched at her ankles as she willed her feet to climb past their outstretched hands. Still, then again; she thought back to him.

I lost everything; including him. There was nothing else I could do. He was the one. He was my one. Today, it’s all going to be over. Everything. I will finally allow my self to be free. Free of pain. Free of myself. I will be free.

I ran. Pushing myself faster with each stride and I leapt. It’ll all be over soon. And it was then, as I was falling through the air, that I realized. He took everything away from me. He took my life, my friends, my family, and most of all my heart. He took it all.
And as my body hit the water, as the icy waves lapped at my bare skin...one last thought lingered on my mind.

Why couldn’t he just save me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 545
Sorry, if it is horrible.
This is my first one-shot.
Ever.
xo
-nika