I'm Never Okay

Prepare, my ass.

Hayley stared at herself in the mirror. Dark eyeliner, hair falling across her eyes. Semi-crumpled, black, band tee, the only clean one she could find. Typical black pants. Her black wristband. And black, battered Chuck Taylors.

Nothing special. Then again, she told herself. This wasn't a date or anything. This was just hanging out. With a guy she wanted to kiss, badly. During their 'relationship', Frank had only kissed her twice, both times on the cheek. Why? Was she that bad? Or did he only think of her as a friend?

That had to be it, she decided, grabbing her shoulder bag and walking out the door. He only thought of her as a friend.

"Hayley! Where are you going?"

"Out to a friend's house for a school project!" she called, getting out of the house before any more questions could be asked.

----------

Frank stood in front of the bathroom mirror, looking at himself. Would she think it was weird he wore eyeliner? Take it off? Keep it on? Off? On? He gave up trying to decide, instead moving onto his t-shirt. Black would be fine. Misfits, definitely. And tight, black jeans. Shoes: white Vans, just for a contrast.

He studied himself again. His hair! What was he going to do with his hair? He grabbed a brush, then hesitated. What did she say again...she liked his hair when it was all messed up? He ditched the brush, running his hands through his hair so most of it was down, with a few unruly tufts curling up.

It'll have to do, he thought, picking up his wallet and thumping down the stairs quickly, but not as fast as his heartbeat was thumping.

----------

"What?" Frank yelled down the phone.

"I just told you," Gerard said patiently. "I have to prepare for my grad, and Mikey's at Alicia's."

Frank groaned. "Prepare, my ass. I bet you did this on purpose, didn't you?"

He could all-too-well imagine Gerard smirking as he said, "I don't know what you're talking about, Frank. No clue whatsoever! Well, bye, I have to go prepare!"

"Gerard! Gerard dammit, don't hang up on me! Gerard!"

"Uh...Frank?"

Frank spun around guiltily, then stopped, awestruck. Hayley's choppy, black hair was falling in front of her dark eyes. She was dressed all in black, but somehow it seemed as if she was shining at the same time.

"Oh-u-um, Gee said he couldn't make it...grad..." he stuttered, mentally berating himself for acting like a junior school girl with a crush.

"Ah. And Alicia told me today that she and Mikey were going to have a late dinner at that really fancy diner that just opened."

Frank almost groaned aloud. Mikey, the shy kid, was taking a girlfriend out to dinner already? And they'd known each other for a shorter time than him and Hayley!

Hayley looked at Frank. He didn't look at all happy with the prospect of watching movies with just her. Just what she'd thought. "If you don't want to watch-" she began.

Frank's head snapped up. "Oh, no, it's cool. I don't mind watching with you," he said, regaining some of his bounciness. "Or else who else's hoodie would you hide in?" he quipped, his mind immediately making up a rather interesting scenario.

Hayley smiled. "I'll hold you to that," she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, I have to admit something. I don't really feel like I connect to this story any more. I mean, I did at the start. Now I feel like it's just a typical MCR fanfic. So umm, I might post a few more chapters, but I don't know if I'm going to keep going with it.
Sorry <3