I'm Never Okay

No Candy?

Hayley lay on her bed with headphones on and a wrist that was slowly seeping blood into the cloth she had around it.

She saw it, but couldn't be bothered trying to stop the bleeding. It didn't matter. It wasn't like she even felt anything anymore. Sighing, she flipped open her sketchbook. She wasn't great at art. She could only draw things she really cared about. Still life and meaningless landscapes never looked right when she drew them.

She grabbed a set of pencils, sketching in a figure. Adding in a curling fringe followed by facial features: eyes partially hidden by hair, a cute nose and perfect lips. She shading him in carefully, before grabbing the coloured pencils and colouring his eyes a deep, mixed green-blue shade.

Blood splashed onto the paper before she could react. She shrugged. Drawing her finger along the cuts, she painted a bloody love heart on the page. After she finished the picture, she looked at it sadly. It was only an image. An imitation of Frank.

What was he so angry about? She thought to herself. She was only talking to Tom. And why did he keep calling him 'Blonde Guy'? It was strange.

Tom had asked her out. She'd said no, and he'd seemed alright about it. Why was Frank so mad? Was it just because he hated jocks that much?

She picked up the phone and rang Gerard.

"Hello?"

"Umm...is Gerard at home?"

"No, Gerard and Mikey have both gone to a friend's house. Who is this calling?"

"Don't worry," Hayley said. "I'll catch him later. Thanks."

She hung up. Dammit.

----------

"I just don't get it." Frank stared morosely at his guitar.

Gerard tried to reassure him. "Chicks are funny like that right? So I've heard. I mean, I've never really hung out with one long enough to know."

Frank gave a half-hearted laugh. "I just don't get it."

Gerard sighed. "You really like her, hey?"

He received a nod in reply. Then the floodgates opened. "At one point, I even thought she liked me. At least as friends. I mean, she was nice about everything in my room. And I played her my new song, the one about heartbreak. And she said she liked it. Was she just pretending? She can even play guitar. How can someone who loves music be so awful?"

Gerard held up his hands. "Hey, hey, wait a second. What did she do that was so awful?"

Frank thought for a moment. "She...she was flirting with a jock," he said lamely. Suddenly he realised just how lame that sounded.

Gerard nodded as he saw the realisation hit Frank. "Anything else?"

Frank buried his face in his pillow. "I've been a total jerk," he said, voice muffled by the pillow.

Gerard patted his back. "Good job, Frankie."

Mikey came back into the room. "Does anyone want candy?"

"Hell yeah," Gerard said. "Chuck them over! Frank?"

Frank shook his head, wondering how he was going to apologise. "No thanks."

Gerard fell off the bed. "No candy?"