A Mother's Love

The Mother

The first night of conception, she felt like she was glowing. She knew there was life within her being even before the doctors confirmed it. A baby was all she ever wanted, her very own child to take care of and look after, to protect with her life. She wouldn’t let anything harm it, not even the man she called her husband.

A few rough months of being alone due to her husband’s busy schedule of traveling back and forth from state to state on business trips, she handled the pregnancy. Some days were horrible, some were pleasant, some were extraordinary when she felt the small kicks of the baby. Even though she seemed alone to the world, she wasn’t, for the little life that was within her womb was keeping her more company than a room full of people and kept her happier than anyone ever could.

She just couldn’t wait until the time when she’d be able to greet the precious soul to the world.

Nine months later, she was rushed to the hospital after her water broke, her husband was still thousands of miles away and wasn’t even going to make an effort of getting to the hospital in time to witness his child’s birth but that was alright. She knew he wouldn’t pay the slightest attention to her while he was there anyway. Their marriage had always been a strange one, but she passed it off as not wanting to be alone for the rest of her days so when he proposed, she accepted even if she didn’t love him like a wife should.

The pushes were hard, the need to inhale and breathe was forgettable from her anticipation of seeing her child, the grip from her hand holding her mother’s was bone-crushing for the elderly woman but she didn’t care about the others around her. She just wanted to see that beautiful infant.

One final push and a squeaking cry later, bundled up in her arms was the small innocent soul of a baby boy. To her eyes, he was more beautiful than the angels in Heaven, far more precious than a kitten or puppy, and perfect in every way. He was everything she wanted. He was the person that would soon become her entire life. On that day, she welcomed to the world, Addison Montgomery.

And from that day on, she never needed her husband’s company because she never felt alone again, for her life was no longer hers alone, it was shared with her son. From that day forward, she had become a mother, and that's all she had ever wanted to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short story begins.