Can't Find My Way Home

Chapitre neuf

The day had passed slowly, mulling around in London shops, the boys trying not to be spotted. A whole mirage of text messeges had been sent to me by Frank, and a lengthy text war was had. He had gone off with Ray and Mikey to check out a guitar place, while I had opted to stay with Gerard and Bob and ramsack comic books stores. "You haven't put that phone down since we left the restaraunt, who are you talking to?" Bob said trying to grab it. I snatched it away.

"Why does it matter Bobette?" I said sculking off down a book aisle. The most recent messege through was, "Missing me yet?", to which I replied, "Of course not."

"Geraarrd." Bob whined, here we go, "Dill won't let me see her phone." he pouted babyishly. Gerard put down the comic he was looking at and patted Bob on the head.

"There, there Bob, the mean nasty lady is just trying to cover up that she's been talking to Frank for the past two hours.." he smirked, while squinting at me knowingly. My mouth opened slightly to retaliate, but I thought better of it, so what? I was talking to Frank, what's the big deal? "See, now say your sorry to Bob."

"But I-"

"..Say it."

"Sorrybob." I mumbled all in one word.

"I didn't hear herrr.." he whined. I laughed, such childish tomfoolery.

"I'm sorry Bob." I said loud and clearly. He grinned and clapped his hands together, "You're pathetic." I smiled.

"Me? I'm not the one sending love notes to Frank." he said hitting me on the head with a rolled up comic book.

"He has a point you know.." Gerard said quietly, probably so as Bob's head wouldn't grow twice as large upon hearing it; given the six year old boy mode he was in. He motioned for me to follow him, and I did. I knew a lecture was coming, so rather have got it over and done with right then and there, then to wait and have it drag out over multiple hours. We sat down on the floor, in the corner of the store, and he took a deep, suspensial breath.

"Just get on with it Gerard.." I sighed. He laughed.

"Okay, okay.." he set his comic down and cracked his knuckles.

"Gerard!" my patience was wearing thin and I was starting to wish I'd gone guitar hunting, and not for the obvious reasons.

"I'm sorry about telling you what I did on the plane. It was stupid and insensitve of me." he looked up at me from the ground.

"It's ok, really. I, uh, spoke, to Frank about it.." hello euphemism of the century!

"You did?"

"Uh.. yeah."

"And?!" he said expectantly, I knew what he wanted me to say - that I had confessed my love for Frank, and that he did the same for me and that everythings going to be dandy.. or something along those lines anyway.

"We're going to start over." I said with a simple nod. He reeled back, confused.

"What?"

"Everything's new, pretty much everything is different. So we're going to start from scratch, he never loved me and I never loved him. We never even liked each other, just two people.. Strangers." he looked disappointed.

"Strangers?"

"Yeah." I smiled.

"And that's going to help how?"

"That's going to help what how?"

"You two getting together."

"Why are you so intent on us being together?" I asked semi-angrily, though I really didn't mean it.

"Because all my life I've been selfish! And this is my way of making things right," he grabbed my hands in his and squeezed them, "Dill, I knew you loved Frank and I knew he loved you, but I wanted you, so I stopped you both being happy together. I need to make it right and I need to know it's right before I get married.."