That Boy's Not Right In The Brain

Part the Second

“Look babe, calm down.. It won’t be that bad ok. It’s just an hour, go in, listen to your walkman, do your homework.. No, no wait, you’ve already done it right?” Gerard laughed into the phone, it was 7am. Normally, I got up at 8, got ready, Gerard and Mikey came over and we got breakfast on the drive to school. From now on I wouldn’t be getting up at 8, I’d be getting up at 7. Yet again, Frank had somehow managed to disrupt my life.

“Yes Gerard.. I’ve done it.” I sighed, was I really that predictable. “Gerard, can I ask you something?”

“Of course you can, shoot.” He said way too chirpily for 7am, though he probably hadn’t been to bed at all. He never slept, at night that was, he often find time to nap in class, much to mine and Ray’s amusement.

“Am I a boring person?”

“What no! Why do you ask?” he said, astounded that I would even ask that.

“I dunno,” I shrugged, “She could have chosen anyone from school, but she chose me. And I’m not even the smartest, or most well behaved kid in school. So I’m obviously just the most reliable? And in my book reliable just means boring. Boring. Boring. Boring.”

“Tallulah.. reliable isn’t a bad thing.” He said seriously, “Reliable means I survive high school, it means Mikey doesn’t become a mute, it means that you are the one person we can always count on no matter what, and most of all, it means that you will never, ever intentionally break someone’s heart..”

“Gerard, when am I ever even going to get the chance to ‘unintentionally’ break someone’s heart, let alone purposely break it?”

“When I finally see sense and ask you to be my wife. Either that or Mikey.” He laughed. He always managed to say the right things, no matter how negative I felt.

“Gee, I love you and would gladly say yes if you asked me to marry you.”

“Well, good..” he chuckled. I looked at the clock and realised that I had 45 minutes left before I had to begin tutoring an ass hole.

“Alright, I’m going to go shower and what not. Meet you where at 9?” I heard him tapping on the phone receiver in thought before he spoke.

“I’ll call you at 9 on the dot and tell you where I am, Mr. Jackson has been on my case all week so I may be a late. Have fun Loubi.” I laughed pessimistically.

“Goodbye Ger.”

“This is the classroom where you will come every morning. And as I told Frank, you get in by swiping your cards, and it keeps a log, so I’ll known when you haven’t shown up..” she said opening pointing at the grey swipe machine. I swiped my card through and the door clicked open. “He knows what work he needs help with, don’t waste this time.” I pulled the door open and walked in swiftly, wanting to get away from the old hag who had stolen my precious sleeping hour away from me. She obviously didn’t remember how important that extra, or only, hour of sleep was to a 17 year old. Frank was in the room alone, sitting in the padded teachers chair, his book lay closed in front of him on the desk, his eyes watched me move across the room and sit down at a student desk. I stared at him for a moment, before snapping my gaze away and focusing it on my phone which vibrated in my hand, a messege from Gerard. This was going to be a long hour.