That Boy's Not Right In The Brain

Part the Twentieth

"Well you tell me and I'll write them down, otherwise it'll be just egotistical of me won't it?" he said passing me the new, uncrumpled sheet of paper and the pen. We had gotten to the last heading, 'Personal Qualities'. I reluctantly took the objects from him, along with the magazine we were using as the hard surface as we were now on the couches in the living room.
"Well, um.." I said swallowing hard, trying to get rid of the tense, dry lump in my throat. Attractive, attractive, attractive, attractice. "Polite, I guess you can put that down as one?" he nodded and smiled, this was going to get harder as we went along, "Uh, outgoing, intelligent-"
"You can't put that!" he protested.
"What? Why not?" he laughed.
"Becuase I'm not! Why do you think?"
"There's a difference between being smart and being intelligent." he furrowed his brow and scratched his head, this need further, simpler, explanation. "Look, being smart is knowing lots of things and understanding them, being intelligent is knowing lots of things and asking questions about them." he raised one brow, "It's a good thing ok, just nod and agree and we'll be done with this quicker." I chuckled, I was actually enjoying hanging out with Frank, and for the second time in one week. "Alright, what about friendly?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I'm not, I don't really have any friends."
"Don't be stupid."
"Fine, whatever. Put it, I don't care." he shrugged, leaning back in the seat with his arms behind his head.
"Uh.. musically inclined, passionate, hard working, uh.. trust worthy I guess and you need one more thing, oh, punctual." I said writing it down, before re-reading it aloud, "Polite, outgoing, intelligent, friendly, musically inclined, passionate, trust-worthy and punctual - Done."
"Thank you Lou." he said taking it and looking over it with a smile. "I'll definately get this job now." he grinned. I was too tired to even ask him what the job was, so I yawned loudly instead. "You're tired, I'm going to go." he said standing up, a wash a fear went over me and I grabbed his wrist.
"No." I said simply, standing up behind him.
"No?" he smirked.
"Yeah, I-I mean no." I laughed, "Can't you stay a while longer?"
"Yeah sure, why?" he asked with a raised brow, slightly perversely.
"I hate this house in the dark!" I blurted, squeezing my eyes shut so not as to see him burst into laughter. Sceptically opening one, I saw he wasn't, in fact, he was doing quite the opposite and looking at me like I was a crying new born.
"That - I didn't expect, especially from you. That's so cute." he said grabbing me and hugging me close, I could get used to this. "Sit down - close you eyes." he said excitedly, I knew that look he had on his face, all too well - he had a plan. I did as I was told and sat down, then closed my eyes. Two minutes later, he came back into the living room. "Don't get mad but I went in your room." he said loudly as soon as he came in.
"How did you know where my room was?" I asked stupidly.
"Are you kidding? This used to be like my second home, if not my primary source of food, care and lov-" he trailed off, but I knew what he meant, "Anyway, open your eyes!" he waited until I had before, "Slumber party!" he squealed girlishly, throwing my duvet and a pillow at me before stepping over to the chest under the window and pulling out another one and a second pillow for himself.
"Aren't we a little old for slumber parties Frank?" I laughed pessimistically.
"I thought I told you about that." he scowled.
"About what?"
"About being too serious and too grown up for your own good. We're 17, we're still kids... Kinda." he giggled, "Come on, loosen up." he said setting his blanket and pillow on the couch opposite the one I was currently sitting on.
"Why are you doing this Frank?" I sighed, with a grateful smile.
"Becuase you don't like being alone in a house at night, and I don't particually want to get beaten and mugged walking across town to get home." he explained cheerfully.
"You don't have to do this, I could just drive you home. There's no need for you to stay here becuase of my patheticness."
"Shut up Lou. I'm staying and that's that.." he said walking over and turning the light off, causing a sheet of blackness to fall over my eyes. I grabbed my pillow and made myself comfortable for the night and sighed. "Your hand ok?" he asked.
"It's fine, thank you." I smiled.
"Goodnight Loubi-Lou." he said softly, I could tell, even in the dark, that he was smiling as he said my name. My old name in fact, the name that only he ever called me to try and out do the bond shared with Gee and Mikey becuase of the nickname they gave to me, 'Louby'.
"Goodnight, Frankie.."