Status: COMPLETED

Can a Shattered Heart Be Put Back Together?

Bottles Of Beer

CULLENS

“What? What do you mean you smell Dylan’s blood? Dylan is fine, she has to be.” Bella whispered.

“I- I don’t know!” Hayley stuttered. “I’ll call you back when we get to where all this is, okay?

“Alright. Thanks Hayley.” Bella said, and hung up.The entire room was silent except for Bella’s breathing.

Esme shook her head, and started pacing. “She has to be okay. I don’t think I could handle losing her like that.” She muttered so quietly that Bella had to strain to listen to.

Carlisle stood up, and wrapped his arms around Esme. “I know, Esme, I know. She’s fine.” He said comfortingly, but everyone could hear the slight doubt in his voice.

A couple seconds later, Bella’s phone went off, and she quickly answered, putting it on speaker. “Hayley?”

“Bella, I- I can’t believe any of this. Dylan’s car is totaled. It’s on its side with fire surrounding it. There’s another car with two people dead in it! Dylan’s nowhere to be found, and- Bella, I can’t lose my best friend. I can’t.” Hayley cried into the phone.

Bella didn’t know what to say. Two people dead. Dylan wasn’t there.

“Wait…Bella, we just caught the scent of a vampire.”
That sentence alone shattered everyone’s heart.

“No.” Esme whispered, and buried her face in Carlisle’s shoulder.

“So she’s either dead…or changing.”

DYLAN

I whined slightly as the burning started to subside from my heart. This was going away a lot faster than it should. What the fuck is wrong with me?! Oh my God, am I rejecting it? Am I going to die?! Holy shit, I’m still a virgin! I can’t die a virgin! Who wants to die a virgin?! Here I go, talking to myself again. I’ve been doing that a lot lately. Maybe I should talk to the vampire dude.

I turned my head slightly, and opened my mouth.

“Don’t even try to talk.” The vampire warned, looking threw a magazine. I gave him a ‘you bastard’ look, and turned my head away. I heard him chuckle lightly. “You’re such a teenager.”

Really? I had no idea. He walked up, and bent over me. He was looking into my eyes, and turned my head a couple times.

“Hmm. This is strange. The venom is already wearing off.” He said. I flashed him a ‘you’ve gotta be fucking kidding me’ look. He laughed at me again. “You’re fine. This has happened once before when I was saving someone. Just close your eyes. This will all be over sooner than you think.”

Easy for you to say. I closed my eyes, and just tried to not concentrate on the burning.

HAYLEY

Hayley’s bottom lip quivered as she stared at Dylan’s car. Or, what was left of it. She looked over at Paul who was standing next to the car with this distant look in his eyes. She walked over to him, and placed her hand on his shoulder.

“This is all my fault. If I wouldn’t have yelled at her, she wouldn’t have driven off. God, how could I have been such a dick?! They’re her family; of course they wouldn’t hurt her.” He just continued beating himself up.

Hayley sighed, and pulled her brother into a hug. “Paul, it’s not your fault. She was tired. Either way, she would’ve drove home, probably rub her eyes, and this still might have happened.” She said, her voice cracking slightly.
He hugged her back. Hayley felt the tears spring to her eyes, and then fall down her cheeks.

“I can’t lose her, Hayley.” Paul whispered. He pulled back, and she saw determination in his eyes. “I’m going to look for her. Search this entire fucking place; top to bottom.” He said.

DYLAN

12 bottles of beer on the wall, 12 bottles of beer. You take one down, pass it around. 11 bottles of beer on the wall. God, this got boring an hour ago. Since the burning was subsiding, I could feel all of the things I broke, bruised, twisted, or whatever the hell I did in the wreck start to hurt.

Ribs; check. Left arm, again; check. Forehead; check. Right leg; check. Internal damage; most likely. I did a number on myself, uh?

“Dude, I can’t feel my fingers on my left hand.” I whined. Yes, I could talk again. No, Ryan, the vampire, did not like it.

He sighed. “Of course you can’t. You broke your arm, remember?”

I rolled my eyes. “Well, yeah, but what the hell does that have to do with my fingers?”

“Your nerves in your hand are probably going a little haywire after the venom and the break.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Why the hell would they be like that?”

“Do you enjoy asking a lot of questions?”

I grinned, and nodded. “I get that a lot.”

“You’re like an annoying midget.”

I groaned. “Why does everyone call me a midget?”

“Cause you are. Now, stop talking until you feel no more pain.”

“But I still have broken bones!”

He smiled. “Exactly, so stop talking until you feel no more pain.”

“Bastard.” I mumbled, and closed my eyes again. 11 bottles of beer on the wall….