Scintillating

Chapter 7

Kerli fiddled with her fingers as she let her stomach growl loudly enough for at least Alexia or October to hear it. She was trying hard not to be a “whiny brat” as October called those kids who would cry unmistakably loud just to get a simple lollipop. Her plan had seemed to work since Alexia asked plainly without looking up from the book she was reading. “Just wait a second darlin’. Let me just finish this last chapter and then we’ll go ask everybody if they would like to get something to eat,” Alexia said. Kerli starred at the title of the book Alexia kept her eyes glued on. Analytical Forensics: New Edition it read. “Ay yo! I’m starving!” came the booming voice of October. Her eyes were red from starring at her computer for what seemed like hours. Alexia reluctantly looked up from the book she was reading and glanced from October to Kerli. “Alright Alright. Let’s go get Anissa from her office and see what she would like to eat,” Alexia agreed. Before they could all head to Anissa’s office, they heard the ring of the elevator as someone was heading up to that floor. The women and Kerli were confounded when they witnessed Anissa standing in the entrance of the elevator. “You have a little blood on the side of your right cheek,” October said bluntly. Anissa stared aggressively at them before beginning to walk towards her office. “You didn’t,” Alexia said slowly as her face scrunched up. “Did what? What did you do?” asked Kerli still confused of her surroundings. “Did you at least make sure you didn’t get DNA around you or any witnesses?” Alexia asked, her worried expression still pasted on her face. Anissa grimaced slightly before shaking her head. “Well if this isn’t such a big deal or anything, I would like to get some food into my tummy before I turn into those skeletons on magazines that supposedly represent the average woman,” October said indolently. The elevator had made another ring as it departed to the upper level where it had been called to. Before they could even talk about what or where they wanted to eat, the elevator had stopped to their floor and out appeared both Scarlett and Mary. “We have agreed that we are starving and would like to go out to a restaurant or something to eat. I’m tired of being in here. Besides, we should celebrate for a mission well done!” Mary suggested promptly. “Um, Anissa, there is something on your cheek that looks like a blood splatter,” Scarlett said softly. “I know!” Anissa practically growled. Scarlett and Kerli jumped back a little while Mary gave Anissa an inquisitive look. “I’m sorry Scarlett. If you guys really want to go eat at a restaurant, fine. Let’s go,” Anissa said grimly. Mary smiled slightly as October jumped in relief showing her always levity personality.
The red dazzling sign on top of the restaurant was in a stylish form reading La Maison Rouge. As the women walked in hastily to be seated and start eating, Kerli walked slowly as she felt an uneasy feeling in her stomach. She looked up at the red sign and tried to remember why the place had seemed so familiar. “Hey kid! What are you standing there for?” came the voice of Anissa making Kerli come out of her thoughts. There were soft colors of red that lined up around the wall making them intense with the lights that hung around everywhere. Once they had stepped in, their lungs were filled with enticing aroma of seafood and other delicate cuisines. The elegant tables were almost filled up as the restaurant was as packed with many sophisticated people dressed up in their most graceful costumes. The women didn’t feel left out since they were also elegantly dressed. “Bonjour Mesdames! How many of you will be seated?” asked a man that looked like he could be a model instead of a host. Kerli looked around the restaurant and realized that all the waiters and waitresses looked like they should be in the cover of famous magazines. They waited awhile before the host finally showed them to a booth where they all fit perfectly. “Wow, is it always this full here?” asked Alexia almost to herself. “Hopefully. This is the grand opening of the restaurant,” replied a young waitress appearing at their table suddenly. “What would you all like to drink?” she asked with a perfect smile. “Margaritas for all of us,” said Mary cheerfully as all of them smiled gleefully aside from Anissa. “Not for me. I’ll have Dr. Pepper,” said Anissa. The waitress jotted down the order before looking up towards Kerli. She stared at her for awhile as if she recognized her face before asking, “And what would you have sweetie?” Kerli looked up at her and couldn’t figure out why she looked so familiar. “I’ll have the same,” Kerli muttered. The waitress nodded and smiled before retrieving to the kitchen. “It’s amazing how they seem to have every type of food here,” noticed Mary as she glanced over the menu. Kerli stayed quiet as the women began to talk. She had recognized the waitress and the name of the restaurant seemed so familiar but she couldn’t seem to remember how. It was as if somebody poured ice cold water when Kerli realized where she had recognized everything. Anissa who wasn’t at all in the conversation of the other women but instead watching Kerli’s expression realized that something was wrong with her. She was about to ask when Kerli barely mumbled, “We need to get out of here!” By that time, the women at the table starred at her. “What’s wrong, mija?” asked Mary. Before Kerli could reply, a young man with beautiful green eyes approached their table with their drinks. Anissa froze as she realized that the man was the same man from that afternoon whom she had saved. Adam smiled slightly at Anissa before saying, “May I took your order ladies?”
Anissa starred at Adam with full astonishment. “Excuse me, I’m going to the restroom,” said Anissa eyeing Adam before leaving. “Wait!” pleaded Kerli but by that time Anissa had already disappeared into the lightly lit hallway.
Anissa didn’t have to wait long before Adam arrived to meet her in the dim hallway. The cacophony silverware tore against her ears and made Anissa even more impatient. As soon as Adam was close she grabbed him by the throat and pushed him against the wall. “Have you told anyone?” Anissa growled in his ear. Adam kept his smile and chuckled a little before saying, “Relax. I haven’t told anyone. If I did no one would care. You did a heroic thing.” Anissa loosened her grip at that and moved slowly away from him. She starred at the wall lost in thought for a second. Adam watched her as if it any moment wings would spread from her back and a halo would prop on top of her head. “Fine. Keep it that way,” Anissa said softly before walking back to her seat.
As soon as Anissa had arrived, the women at the table looked at her sternly. “What?” she asked. “We need to go. We will explain at home,” said Mary. Knowing Mary too well, Anissa trusted her that it was something important.
At home, Kerli began to explain to Anissa why La Maison Rouge had seemed so familiar while October ordered pizza. “The people who own that restaurant are the people that worked in the whore house in which they wanted me to be,” Kerli said. “Ewww! You mean we were about to eat food with herpes in it?” October interrupted. Anissa gave October a stern look and then turned back to Kerli, “You mean all the waiters and waitresses are people who sell their body?” Kerli shook her head before replying, “No, not all of them. Some of them, I think, were just hired to be waiters.” Something in Anissa’s heart filled up with relief as she heard that statement. Feeling tired and confused about the occurrences of the day, “We all agree to not step foot in that place again then,” she said wearily before getting up to retrieve to her room. “Wait, you’re not going to eat?” asked Mary. Anissa shook her head and continued on her way.