Status: active-!

Afraid to Fall

chapter 4

With another quick glance at my phone, just to make sure Noel hadn't texted in the 30 seconds between now and the last time I checked, I slid on my nude Choo heels that go with everything and adjusted my hair. I still had to look good for Drew, even if this was just a feel-good date on my part. Twisting a curl on one finger, I pouted for the mirror. Not perfect, but it would do. The lavender dress toned down my sea-blue eyes and made my tanned legs look a mile long. Checking my phone one more time, I finally threw it to the back of my bag and took off down the stairs. Drew stood there, leaning on the banister of my stairs and looking as cute as can be.

"Hi, beautiful. Only took you 20 minutes." He winked and laughed quietly. I knew he didn't mind, although he wouldn't admit it, he had definitely snuck into my TV room and played a few rounds of Just Dance for the Wii. That's just the kind of guy he is.

"C'mon, Grumpypants. Let's move." I linked my arm around his side and pulled him out the door, mumbling a quick goodbye to my parents. I giggled and tugged his shirt until we arrived at his beat-up Range Rover. It was a hand-me-down from his parents, and he had definitely given it a mud bath or two. North Carolina has some good swamps for driving in, according to Drew. He opened the door for me and I stepped in lightly, aiming not to get anything on my dress. As he slammed his car door and turned out of my long, swirling driveway. I switched on the newest hit song on the radio and leaned back, ready for a long, fun night- and to forget the pang I felt every time I saw the blank screen of my phone.

Twenty minutes later, Drew parked and hopped out of the car. He slid off his baseball cap and dropped it on the dashboard, and grabbed my hand. My eyes widened as I took in the bright lights and loud noises of the Crystal Coast Pier. Popular on the fishing scene, this pier was constantly active. During the daytime, fishermen and boaters work diligently, but at night time it came alive. Every teenager in North Carolina comes here every once in a while, when they really want to have a good time. The reflections of the carnival rides glistened off the jet black water that lapped gently on the shoreline. Top 100 music played from the huge speakers that hung on wires over the jetty. There was every type of comfort food you could imagine there, like fried oreos dipped in chocolate (my favorite). As the beat moved the ground underneath us, Drew dragged me through the crowd, glancing back every so often to flash me a devious smirk. I had no idea what this boy was up to. This was the kind of place where anything could happen.

Suddenly, my heel got stuck in between two pieces of wood and I fell, twisting my ankle. I yelped in surprise and pain and fell flat on my butt. I dropped Drew's hand, but he turned around too slowly and got lost in the crowd. People swerved around me and I couldn't even see the top of his blond head anymore. When I get nervous, I hyperventilate. What with my foot still stuck and more and more people increasing the distance between me and Drew, I was certifiably freaked out. I breathed heavier and heavier and felt the blood rush to my cheeks. My face was burning up and I even felt the slightest hint of sweat on my forehead. The lights swirled together and everything slowly became black...

"Bri. Brighton. B-R-I-G-H-T-O-N." I felt a hand on my lower back as I slowly came to. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, placing my palm on my pounding head.
"Uhh...where am I? What happened?"
"You just passed out...no big deal." I giggled quietly and turned to put a face to the hand that still rested on my back. As my brain registered who it was, I inhaled sharply and my heart sped up.
"Hey, Bri. Sorry I couldn't get here earlier. I don't know if you remember, I'm Noah."