Sequel: Ready When You Are
Status: Finished.

About Falling

A Horse Ride

Image

"When is Jane and Landon coming with the baby?" Cheyenne asked.

"Tomorrow, they're still driving." Her mom answered.

Cheyenne nodded and looked at Bam.

"I bet you're missing the horses." Sharon smiled to her granddaughter.

"Of course I am."

"You have horses?" Bam asked.

"Horses, cows, chickens, pigs, and sheep." Roy nodded.

"We're farmers." Sharon put it short and nodded her head in the direction of 3 long barns and a chicken coop.

Bam nodded. "Wow, you guys have a lot of money."

"Well, we're comfortable." Sharon smiled and shrugged it off.

"Are you going to show him how we grew up?" Cayden asked.

"If he's up to the challenge." Chey laughed.

"Sure..." Bam thought.

"Then tomorrow, you're going to be up at 5, dear." Sharon laughed.

"Go to sleep early." Roy added.

"Do you want to go meet the horses?" Cheyenne asked Bam after breakfast.

He nodded and stood up with her. "Thank you for breakfast, Sharon."

"No problem, honey." She smiled. "Have fun."

Cheyenne led him away after saying thank you and goodbye.

"Your family is nice."

"A lot less hectic than yours." She laughed, leading him to one of the barns.

Cheyenne unhinged the lock on the door and slid each side open. The barn was lit by open windows and a big lighted fan in the middle of the high ceiling. It was warm, the day already progressively getting hot. She turned on a switch which turned the fans on. Several horses stuck their heads out in greeting.

Bam wasn't sure of what to do. He was overwhelmed with the sense of Cheyenne's busy-in-a-different-way life. "Let's go riding." He piped up, watching her walk over to one of the stalls.

"You really want to?" She smiled. "You have to help me get them ready."

Bam nodded. "OK, what do I need to do?"

"First, we need two saddles, be careful, some of them are really heavy." She pointed over to a wall with reins and saddles.

After getting two of the horses ready, Cheyenne taught him how to get on the horse and contol it with the reins.

"Sorry, I guess I forgot to mention that we're kind of cowboys..."

"It's OK." Bam laughed. "I sort of forgot to mention that I have a crazy life."

She smiled and led him down to the beach by the house.

"So you grew up like this?" He asked.

"Mhm, down here. We used to have horses in PEnnsylvania, but my mom couldn't afford to keep them when her mom died."

"So Sharon and Roy are your dad's parents?"

"Yeah, my dad will be here tomorrow. Becca and Jane are my mom's sisters. My mom and dad's families were always close, that's why everyone will be here."

Bam nodded. "It must be nice to live like this."

Cheyenne sighed. "It gets difficult though."

"Well, I understand that." Bam nodded.

The two of them walked the horses through the water, wading here and there as they went.

"Thank you for coming with me. It really means a lot."

"Yeah, I wanted to." He smiled.

"We'll have a romantic dinner tonight." She smiled. "All on me. I haven't really been able to cook dinner for you."

"I can't wait."

"Tomorrow you can go skateboarding when Landon gets here. Him and Cayden know good spots around here."

"Why don't you go too?"

Her face lit up. "I'd love to."

When they got back to the house, it was lounge time, or nap time rather, for everyone, seeing as how the boys were up early every morning to commit to their lifestyle. Everyone was in the sunroom or living room. Cayden and Danielle retreated to their bedroom, and Bam and Cheyenne decided to do the same.